PDA

View Full Version : ISP warning me... copyright violations

mrpants20
01-01-2002, 08:57 AM
My ISP sent me a letter saying they received a DMCA (Digital Millenium Copy Act) complaint of copyright violation(s) on their network and they tracked it back to my house saying I (or someone using my connection) downloaded "The Dark Knight".... Kinda got me worried :ermm:

I've never heard of warning like this happening outside of a college dorm internet network.. If someone was downloading that stuff using torrents or whatever, how do they conceal it? I know there are a lot people doing that stuff without having any issues, so how do they never get tracked or anything?

mrpants20
12-12-2008, 03:23 PM
I posted this during the update so it shows this was posted almost 7 years ago so....... :bump:

puertoblack2003
12-12-2008, 03:38 PM
I posted this during the update so it shows this was posted almost 7 years ago so....... :bump:

lol i have to update thread and thats a task I'll leave later tonight...But as far as the DMCA they must have tracked your ip address and they are targeting those that downloaded pirated stuff from torrents sites..You can challenge it the worst thing that can happen is suspended your internet services.If they see a rash of downloads.Someone must have complained about it and reported it.

crazaytalent
12-12-2008, 03:51 PM
ouch dude that suck, keeps us posted if anymore developments, i for one would like to avoid any such happenings, so maybe your post on this matter will continue to help...

thanks for sharing

drdrewdown
12-12-2008, 03:58 PM
torrent & gnutella are the two most likely ways to get caught. they are usually un-encrypted connections which make them vulernable. there are alot of people who get these letters. in most cases the ISP will contact you when they are able to prove you had a certain ip address at the time of the infraction. the general rule for ISP's is 3 strikes & you're out. meaning they will cancel your service on the 3rd infraction. at this point you are a liability to them b/c they can be subpeona'd by the Feds to see logs & nobody wants the FBI knocking on your door even if you are 100% legit. So they try to avoid this & just cut you off after the 3rd time. thats just a general rule, i'm sure it will vary from ISP to ISP.

the best way to avoid this is to not be a l33chwh0r3 from torrents you find on google. even demonoid has many "agents" working to stop the copyright infringements. torrents as a general rule are a bad idea. you have no idea the source & the worst part you are uploading while downloading.

personally i'd rather leech from a SSL usenet server or find someone who's in the "know" & join their private network. ssl usenet will cost you a monthly fee, but losing your internet service is worse imo lol. a private network would be the best since hey, it's private! & probably doesn't have a buncha virus infected BS or incorrectly named media.

ok i'm done. sorry to have rambled

Superman369
12-12-2008, 04:01 PM
torrent & gnutella are the two most likely ways to get caught. they are usually un-encrypted connections which make them vulernable. there are alot of people who get these letters. in most cases the ISP will contact you when they are able to prove you had a certain ip address at the time of the infraction. the general rule for ISP's is 3 strikes & you're out. meaning they will cancel your service on the 3rd infraction. at this point you are a liability to them b/c they can be subpeona'd by the Feds to see logs & nobody wants the FBI knocking on your door even if you are 100% legit. So they try to avoid this & just cut you off after the 3rd time. thats just a general rule, i'm sure it will vary from ISP to ISP.

the best way to avoid this is to not be a l33chwh0r3 from torrents you find on google. even demonoid has many "agents" working to stop the copyright infringements. torrents as a general rule are a bad idea. you have no idea the source & the worst part you are uploading while downloading.

personally i'd rather leech from a SSL usenet server or find someone who's in the "know" & join their private network. ssl usenet will cost you a monthly fee, but losing your internet service is worse imo lol. a private network would be the best since hey, it's private! & probably doesn't have a buncha virus infected BS or incorrectly named media.

ok i'm done. sorry to have rambled

I agree. I use newsleecher and newsrazor.net. Costs 15 bucks a month, but worth it.

crazaytalent
12-12-2008, 04:37 PM
thanks fella's this is good to know useful stuff!

kaos
12-12-2008, 04:55 PM
hahahahha... never been caught...but then again im in the "know" lol... rapidshare... and demonoid is all i use...But when on demonoid i use a proxy...so i bounce all over the world... google tor... very good plug in for firefox.

iamdasht19
12-12-2008, 05:16 PM
hahahahha... never been caught...but then again im in the "know" lol... rapidshare... and demonoid is all i use...But when on demonoid i use a proxy...so i bounce all over the world... google tor... very good plug in for firefox.

same here kaos :> and havent been caught once and i cant tell you how many terabytes of stuff i have downloaded in the past months either.

mrpants20
12-12-2008, 06:01 PM

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.torproject.org/ (I hope I linked this correctly under the new rule, sorry if no)

Assuming its safe to download (malware wise)

drdrewdown
12-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.torproject.org/ (I hope I linked this correctly under the new rule, sorry if no)

Assuming its safe to download (malware wise)

yes, he is referring to the firefox extension.

Tor Browser Bundle for Windows (Contains Tor, Vidalia, Torbutton, Polipo, and Firefox)

mrpants20
12-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Anyone that has been following this thread and is unfamiliar with Tor, I found a cnet video that explains how it basically works....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG_xhdnsO0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG_xhdnsO0s Link since video isn't loading correctly for me

Superman369
12-14-2008, 03:35 PM
cool cool, thanks.

--------- New Post Merged on 14/12/2008 at 05:13:57 --------

Here ya go:)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PG_xhdnsO0s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PG_xhdnsO0s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mrpants20
12-17-2008, 08:54 AM

When I attempt to download anything while using Tor it changes the IP before it finishes and the download does not complete or never starts in the first place... Anyone know how I can stop it from doing that, or point me in the direction of a proxy site to use that will let me finish first?

TY

mrpants20
12-19-2008, 07:15 PM
When I attempt to download anything while using Tor it changes the IP before it finishes and the download does not complete or never starts in the first place... Anyone know how I can stop it from doing that, or point me in the direction of a proxy site to use with rapidshare that will let me finish first?

TY

.................................................. ...:bump:

ActionPlyr
12-19-2008, 08:48 PM
To block my IP I have used a freeware program called PeerGuardian 2.0 where you can find it for free and download it at download. com. I tried posting the link but since I'm new, it wouldn't let me.

I've been using Peer Guardian for quite some time now and it has kept me safe ::knock on wood::