WinMerge is highly useful for determining what has changed between project versions, and then merging changes between versions. WinMerge can be used as an external differencing/merging tool or as a standalone application.
In addition, WinMerge has many helpful supporting features that make comparing, synchronizing, and merging as easy and useful as possible:
- Supports Microsoft Windows XP SP3 or newer
- Handles Windows, Unix and Mac text file formats
- Unicode support
- Tabbed interface
- 3-way File Comparison New!
- Visual differencing and merging of text files
- Flexible editor with syntax highlighting, line numbers and word-wrap
- Highlights differences inside lines
- Difference pane shows current difference in two vertical panes
- Location pane shows map of files compared
- Moved lines detection
- Regular Expression based file filters allow excluding and including items
- Fast compare using file sizes and dates
- Compares one folder or includes all subfolders
- Can show folder compare results in a tree-style view
- 3-way Folder Comparison
Image Compare New!
- Support many types of images
- Can highlight the differences with blocks
- Overlaying of the pictures is possible
Table Compare New!
- Shows CSV/TSV file contents in table format
- Text can be wrapped for each column
- Creates patch files (Normal-, Context- and Unified formats)
- Resolve conflict files
- Shell Integration (supports 64-bit Windows versions)
- Archive file support using 7-Zip
- Plugin support
- Localizable interface
- Online manual and installed HTML Help manual