View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Addict
Mobile Model: Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View roopull's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View roopull's Photo Album Add roopull's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: What the Droid and the Zune Have in Common

Well put.

Not all is lost, though. At least the marketing for the Droid is well done. I can't even say I remember a single Zune commercial.

One of the biggest selling points of the iPhone is the social status one feels he has when he gets an iPhone. With the Droid, if the marketing is as successful as it seems to be, owners of the Droid will enjoy a similar bit of status... "You have an iPhone? Oh yeah? Well, I got a Droid!"

While going after your competitor's weaknesses is often a recipe for failure, the Droid does it carefully. They point out weaknesses that cannot be debated. No one thinks an irreplaceable battery is better than a replaceable one, for example. That's not really subjective... it's simply undeniable.

In my opinion, though, really good marketing doesn't mention your competition at all. You pretend they don't even exist. You pretend like you're the only kid on the block. Case in point... has anyone EVER seen a Coca-Cola commercial that acknowledges the existence of anything except Coca-Cola? Meanwhile, just about every single Pepsi-Cola commercial reminds you that you can also choose Coke. I REALLY think Apple should and could pull off that type of advertising. Instead, they have always reminded us we have a choice...

I'd like to comment on Windows Mobile advertising, but I'm not sure it exists.