Thread: [RELEASE] Waze (beta) (Freeware)
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Addict
Mobile Model: Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View roopull's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View roopull's Photo Album Add roopull's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Star Re Waze (beta (Freeware

Update & tiny review...

On my first day of using it, I was just shy of 1300 points. I only used it for 1/2 the day. It only seems to add points when you're on a road you've never been on, before. I'm currently sitting on about 4000 points. I'd have more, but it sucks the battery dry in no time flat. So, I'll run it for a while when I start my route & then turn it off unless I see something that needs to be reported. Our trucks (at UPS) don't have power outlets, so I'm on battery when I'm using it. :-(

If you must use this w/o having it plugged into a charger, make sure you have the backlight turned off. Even with it off, the battery on my TP was down to 30% from a full charge in about 2 hours.

As a navigator, Waze sucks. LOL. The scrolling is pathetically slow, maps are the most incomplete of any I've used (and I've used almost every nav software available.) But, here just East of Atlanta, the community seems to be fairly vibrant. I was alerted to the Georgia State Patrol pulling over commercial vehicles (very important to a UPS driver,) two traffic jams, and one wreck. This was all within the last 3 days alone!

I've logged a few reports, myself. Making basic reports is as simple as touching 3 buttons on the screen. However, the last button requires you to scroll... I think they could and should fix that. If you want to clarify a report when you stop your vehicle, you can. Nice.

I was a little concerned it might interfere with calls, but it doesn't. However, every time I received a call, I had to restart Waze as it gave an error saying it'd lost connection to the network. I found that bizarre, because I always still had maps being loaded. Maybe this is a glitch. The only thing it interferes with is your auto-power off settings. You can still MANUALLY turn your phone off, but the automatic power settings are over ridden.

All in all, I HIGHLY recommend this software.

Most all of us have GPS software on our phones & most of us actually do not NEED GPS for 99% of the driving we do. We turn our GPS on to show off to our friends or just enjoy watching the world go by on our little screens. Using Waze, we can still show off, fiddle with our phones AND help out the rest of the smartphone community!!!

Brilliant!!!