Thread: [NEWS] Verizon: Pay Up Or Die
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Mobile Model: XV-6800 (Flashed)
Mobile Carrier: Cricket
Mobile OS: 6.1

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View DenverDev's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View DenverDev's Photo Album Add DenverDev's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Verizon: Pay Up Or Die

Private companies are not compelled to provide information to law enforcement outside of certain perameters (ie. court order). LE can REQUEST the information based upon circumstances, and under those circumstances, private companies do have some protection. But of course, in the long run, private companies are more concerned about releasing information and getting sued for doing so. Court orders are most often required to COMPEL compliance, however, what are called exigent circumstances can be brought into the mix. For instance, we probably have all heard about 911 calls coming over a cellular phone. The call taker can request that the GPS position be used to get assistance to a party. if you have ever noticed the GPS settings on your phone, it actually has a setting for 911 calls one (which means that you have dialed 911 under the understanding that GPS can/will be utilized to find you) or for every call Gps can be used.

The individual circumstances of each situation are weighed by a bunch of people. I think that this is a good thing. Otherwise, if LE is able to call a company and say "GIVE IT TO ME", and get it, are there any "privacy" protections? Can a "bright yellow line" be drawn that say that in these specific cases its ok and otherwise it is not? I, for one, dont think so.

What muddies the waters soooooo much is the concept of "right vs wrong". Sometimes people do thing that are "wrong", but not necessarily illegal or rise to a level of governmental interference. Other times, people do things that are "right" but in violation of law or do rise to the level of governmental interference. It, certianly, is a frustrating and perhaps overly complicated system, but its a system none the less.

I admit that this post is a bit dis-jointed and has not been carefully edited. the concept is that governmental intrusion must be limited. where those exact lines are or should be is not exactly as clear as many would want them to be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DenverDev For This Useful Post: