View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Mobile Model: Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: $print
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 2,366 Times in 774 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View PsyChoTk's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View PsyChoTk's Photo Album Add PsyChoTk's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Pull text messages off daughters cell

“ Originally Posted by raybond25 View Post

The "no phone and internet" thing...This isn't really directed at you more general, but taking stuff away like this really just makes most kids more bitter and less likely to listen to their parents than making them realize they've done something "wrong" so to speak. I'm a kid, I like to think I'm a pretty good kid to be honest, my parents have never had to ground me or anything like that (took me so long to find that smily) anyways, being around kids my age all the time I see that kids just tend to rebel even more when grounded and punished like that... I dunno, I'm pretty angelic (lol tooting my own horn) and this is just my third party impartial view on the whole issue. Sorry if I've offended you or anything...

I can't judge whether or not this applies in your case anyways *shrugs*
Not to thread crap but, as a parent and in today’s society I see all to often "kids" feel like it’s their divine right to get cell phones, computers, etc. or whatever else they want. Since the daughter deleted the info in her phone, there could have been stuff to hide? Maybe she lied to the young lad and there was proof on her phone she misled him. Maybe not. Either way she needs to learn there consequences for her actions.
As a kid your job is to go to school, get good grades, go to college and do better than your parents. I assume that gadget is paying for the phone? So why not take it away for a determined amount of time? What’s wrong with that?

As a child, in Florida anyway, kids don’t have a leg to stand on if the parent is disciplineing their child. Everything from grounding to taking away the car, taking away the cell phone etc. Again in Florida, it’s the parent’s job to raise their child. So taking away the phone for a couple of months doesn’t sound too bad to me. Sounds like it needs to be done.
Trust is the easiest thing to maintain. But once it’s gone, it’s hard to get that trust back. How can gadget945 truly trust their daughter in the future?
I also have a daughter who’s 13. She has a phone on my plan and she knows it’s a gift not a right. BTW I just gave her my old Mogul. And since it’s a gift I can turn it off for any reason. Not that I would, but she knows what the rules are. Since we talked before I got her a phone.
I could drone on for hours on a soap box about this but the bottom line is, gadget’s daughter was caught in a very touchy situation. Gadget needs to gets thier hands on the text’s to see what was going on. And how do we know the young lad was not grooming the daughter for future carnal knowledge. If you need any clarification on the aforementioned sentence, ask supe.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PsyChoTk For This Useful Post: