Post New ThreadReply

Old 09-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Touch Pro vs Touch Pro2: Should You Upgrade

“ Originally Posted by VenumX View Post

So here is my (VenumX's) take on the TP vs TP2 debate - Sorta a TP2 Review

GENERAL OVERVIEW/SCREEN/TILT
So i got my TP2 in today and after messing with it for about an hour my recommendation is, if you've got the money buy it cause the screen looks amazing on this device, also the tilt is really convenient for sprint navigation on the road, especially if you have on of those sticky mats for your dashboard...SprintTV also looks really sexy on that screen, makes me actually wanna use my phone for media again...

TF3D2
i was kind of disappointed that HTC just went with a gray background on the TF3D2, I really think they should have made it customizable for all tabs :/ The TF3D2 is what we would have expected tho very nicely laid out - the same as what you're used to on your TP just bigger

KEYBOARD
Ill start off by saying the keyboard is much larger on the TP2, not only because of the size of the phone itself, but also because the majority of the keys now have alternate functions as well; if you notice on the old TP this was not the case, the majority of the buttons had just one funtion (usually a letter). Also I don't like that HTC removed the tab button from the keyboard but they were smart about the comma on the keyboard, normally you have to press fn + period to get a comma instead they moved the comma to the left side of the spacebar and made it a primary key so that you dont have to push FN. They also removed the CTRL button which i've never really used before anyway and im not sure if it even had a use... Like i said a lot of the buttons have been merged with other buttons, no longer are dash and equals primary buttons they are the secondary functions of O and I, respectively. Overall the keyboard design on the TP2 has been very nice to type on and is spaced out a lot better; however they did sacrifice a keystroke for the user to get it this way.

HTC START MENU
Another big difference is the start menu on the new TP2, I like the setup they have its almost like the Motorola Q9 if you guys can remember that far back. When you push the start button it brings up a list of applications that you may find more useful or you may use on a daily basis, I find this as a VERY cool feature only because it is completely customizable which means for those people that used to find organizing icons on their start menu an annoying task, it has now been made easy for you. They give you 30 "favorite" slots on the initial start menu but if something you need is not on your start menu, you can press the "All Programs" button and get all of your programs...almost self explanatory! They do lock the Home, People, Calendar and Settings on that main menu, I'm not sure if that is unlockable or not yet...Overall makes things very easy to use and customize, THANKS HTC <3

CASE
NO CASE....WTF HTC?!!@#?/ My TP1 came with one

MEMORY CARD
NO MEMORY CARD EITHER?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME HTC?!??!?!!?

ZOOM BAR
So because HTC TP2 - Mostly (if not all) WM's fault - does not have capacitive touchscreen the TP2 fails to have an onscreen zoom feature...so what does HTC decide to use for an alternative a zoom bar right below the screen. This is an awesome idea because anyone that has tried to do the circle around what they want to zoom in on has accidently rotated the pictures on the old versions of HTC Album. Now no mistakes can be made, the zoom bar is the zoom bar there is nothing else it will do, this means no more accidental rotation!! "But VenumX how do I rotate the picture on the fly then?!" - now why would you wanna do a silly thing like that..or at least thats what HTC seems to think, there is no way - that i have found - to rotate the images in the HTC album so you will need a 3rd party app for that...sorry..

MEMORY CONSUMPTION
Since I've started this review the memory consumption has gone from 50% to 67% which tells me there is some kind of memory leak. I suspect that I just need to hard reset, I should have done this before I even used it so it's partially my fault and I was being greedy and wanted instant gratification

3.5MM HEADPHONE JACK
So the jack is really nice to have seperate from the charger but why did you put it that close to the charger port, what if i need more space!! Put the headphone jack at the top of the phone!! that way if i need audio on the bottom (charger dock ) i can just use that port but if i need audio on the top if that jack was up there i would be able to plug it in and sit it up right side up >.< CMON think about design at least a little bit HTC

I cant talk about the battery yet cause I haven't completely abused the phone yet :P but i suppose this is where I'm supposed to give my grand conclusion that changes your mind forever on getting the TP2. sorry to disappoint but I am non-conclusive on this...if you have the money GET THE DEVICE NOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING READING THIS?!?! if you are hard on money and this device is supposed to last you more than a year; wait for the new WM device and pass this one...
very nice review there buddy you should post this in its own thread too snce you obviously put some time into this and will be much appreciated by the members for sure. great job and enjoy the device, i told you the screen and keyboard were sexy.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:40 PM
The VenumX Factor
Mobile Model: HTC Touch PRO
Mobile Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,192 Posts

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

very nice review there buddy you should post this in its own thread too snce you obviously put some time into this and will be much appreciated by the members for sure. great job and enjoy the device, i told you the screen and keyboard were sexy.
ok moved post to its own thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:40 PM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

hahahha so you digigng it still buddy?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:43 PM
The VenumX Factor

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

hahahha so you digigng it still buddy?
yeah its real nice, they told me it would be 275$ after everything but i got a charge for 369.99 on my bill...so i gotta shoot em an email about that if they dont bring it down imma wait till 29 days then return it cause i really shouldnt be spending another $100 on a phone :/ and by then i will have bought the Hero from you, unless you need more than 2 or 3 days with the hero

Old 09-18-2009, 01:03 PM

“ Originally Posted by VenumX View Post

yeah its real nice, they told me it would be 275$ after everything but i got a charge for 369.99 on my bill...so i gotta shoot em an email about that if they dont bring it down imma wait till 29 days then return it cause i really shouldnt be spending another $100 on a phone :/ and by then i will have bought the Hero from you, unless you need more than 2 or 3 days with the hero
hahah only gonna need /want 1 or 2 days max with the hero..... dont have a use for it really lmao
Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 PM
The VenumX Factor

hahah only gonna need /want 1 or 2 days max with the hero..... dont have a use for it really lmao
haha nice, ill take it off your hands at that point im not sure where im gonna get with the price n the TP2 so hopefully ill be able to keep both...if not...i save money and my rebate status gets reset :P

Old 09-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Mobile Model: Mogul

View dawishmaker's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View dawishmaker's Photo Album Add dawishmaker's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

the phone is hot... I didn't a flash on it tho for pics so I dont know how that is going to work but not really trippin about that. I just cant use the flashlight anymore like on TP1 but that is cool. I just got it yesterday so I'm still playing around with it. Hopefully some nice things come out for it.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:23 AM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: sprint
Mobile OS: 6.0

View tonyt4ever's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View tonyt4ever's Photo Album Add tonyt4ever's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by dawishmaker View Post

the phone is hot... I didn't a flash on it tho for pics so I dont know how that is going to work but not really trippin about that. I just cant use the flashlight anymore like on TP1 but that is cool. I just got it yesterday so I'm still playing around with it. Hopefully some nice things come out for it.
Agree...... I cant wait to figure it out myself. 2 days going strong
Old 09-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Mobile Model: Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: Verizon
Mobile OS: 6.1

View blackdiamond017's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View blackdiamond017's Photo Album Add blackdiamond017's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by dawishmaker View Post

Can someone fill me in on why the TP1 flashlight is soo great? Everyone and their mama seems to have used it. BTW the TP2 ROCKS!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:47 PM

“ Originally Posted by blackdiamond017 View Post

Can someone fill me in on why the TP1 flashlight is soo great? Everyone and their mama seems to have used it. BTW the TP2 ROCKS!

the flashlight was nice one for the thing it was which was flash for your pictures in dark areas and you coud than press and hold and have it stayed on for changing a tire in the dark, finding your way in the dark, etc.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:51 AM
mzlady26
Mobile Model: Touch PRO
Mobile Carrier: SPRINT

View mzlady26's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View mzlady26's Photo Album Add mzlady26's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Yea yea yea I know what I said earlier about waiting til the other TP comes out, but considering that I am in my (30 day grace period) guess what I am going to do? Yep, you got it I am going to go and get my TP2 tomorrow as soon as my feet hit the floor. Thanks to my friend giving me so much input on the phone about it, I guess it is time for me to go get the TP2. And considering that the TP3 is more like the diamond which I don't like I am going to go ahead and get this one. I will get back at you all when I get my new device and tell you what I think. Uhummmmm, I would also like to say that when I get this phone I am going to miss my GSS Rom, (boooo hoooooo) cause that rom is the shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, shut yo mouth, lol. So I guess what I am trying to say is that I am going to have to get used to the stock rom until i can get the titanuim rom again on the TP2. I have a digital camera with a flash so if I have to take a picture in the dark I guess I can use that. Wish me luck all. Peace.

--------- New Post Merged on 27/9/2009 at 0106 --------

the flashlight was nice one for the thing it was which was flash for your pictures in dark areas and you coud than press and hold and have it stayed on for changing a tire in the dark, finding your way in the dark, etc.
Yes the light was better than some flash lights if you ask me, plus it was bright as all outdoors.

--------- New Post Merged on 27/9/2009 at 0550 --------

Ok so here is the deal, instead of me going to the sprint store (basically cause I want to be lazy today) I am just going to call in and do it that way. So I will get it sometime this week. Not in a rush, it's not like the phone is going to go anywhere. This way it will give me time to get my TP back to stock rom.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:44 AM

“ Originally Posted by mzlady26 View Post

Yea yea yea I know what I said earlier about waiting til the other TP comes out, but considering that I am in my (30 day grace period) guess what I am going to do? Yep, you got it I am going to go and get my TP2 tomorrow as soon as my feet hit the floor. Thanks to my friend giving me so much input on the phone about it, I guess it is time for me to go get the TP2. And considering that the TP3 is more like the diamond which I don't like I am going to go ahead and get this one. I will get back at you all when I get my new device and tell you what I think. Uhummmmm, I would also like to say that when I get this phone I am going to miss my GSS Rom, (boooo hoooooo) cause that rom is the shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, shut yo mouth, lol. So I guess what I am trying to say is that I am going to have to get used to the stock rom until i can get the titanuim rom again on the TP2. I have a digital camera with a flash so if I have to take a picture in the dark I guess I can use that. Wish me luck all. Peace.

--------- New Post Merged on 27/9/2009 at 0106 --------

Yes the light was better than some flash lights if you ask me, plus it was bright as all outdoors.

--------- New Post Merged on 27/9/2009 at 0550 --------

Ok so here is the deal, instead of me going to the sprint store (basically cause I want to be lazy today) I am just going to call in and do it that way. So I will get it sometime this week. Not in a rush, it's not like the phone is going to go anywhere. This way it will give me time to get my TP back to stock rom.
they overnight them to you so if you order rtoday you will get tuesday same if you order before 5 on monday eastern time.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Mobile Model: htc touch pro

Thanked 2,355 Times in 750 Posts

View tlpalmer01's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View tlpalmer01's Photo Album Add tlpalmer01's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

nice review venum...u are a lucky man though with the phones and getting them.......
Old 09-27-2009, 05:31 PM
mzlady26
Mobile Model: Touch PRO
Mobile Carrier: SPRINT

View mzlady26's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View mzlady26's Photo Album Add mzlady26's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Ok so check this out. I went to the sprint store to return my phone (cause of the 30 days) and they told me no cause i was past my 30 days, even after customer service told me I could. So I go to the store to see if they will honor what was noted n my account H e doulble hockey sticks no. So idk I am PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*& off and there is nothing they will do about it.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Mobile Model: Touch P.R.O. 2

View hctr68's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View hctr68's Photo Album Add hctr68's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

tp2 is looking really nice could use the xtra finger space on the screen maybe ill stop pressing multiple icons with the tp2----i am sad that the flash is gone but, the other features still makes the phone very wanted
Old 10-25-2009, 03:09 AM
Mobile Model: HTC MOGUL
Mobile OS: 5.0

View jetpack's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View jetpack's Photo Album Add jetpack's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re Touch Pro vs Touch Pro2 Should You Upgrade

I read a few people were lucky enough to get these activated on Boost. I've got a Mogul to play around with, but once some sweet ROMS come out for the TP2, I may have to trade up to this beauty and sell the Mogul.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Supporter

View crensmeyer's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View crensmeyer's Photo Album Add crensmeyer's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Picked my TP2 up at a local Sprint store yesterday. $200 out the door after a $400 two year ensemble discount on our corporate account. First of all that's a heck of a lot more discount than I expected and am not sure how it worked out that way, but I sure as he!! wasn't about to open my mouth and question it.

The phone is AWESOME. I loved my TP, but this thing made me have zero buyers remorse from the get go.
  • The screen is as good if not better than everyone has stated.
  • The keyboard is just as described, larger, more responsive, less crammed together, and well laid out. My only complaint on the keyboard is now I have to learn where some of "alternate" keys are placed all over again. A very minor issue that I will soon overcome.
  • WM 6.1 is pretty much a downer out of the box. However, the larger screen, improved TF3D2, and overall performance make it tolerable until the HSPL for it is released.
  • As for the lack of flashlight, i mean camera flash. I had never really used mine before until recently when I used it as a "lighter" at a concert during the encore. For this use/purpose it was VERY effective might I add. However not a deal breaker for the phone.
  • As for the camera itself, it seems to be a lot quicker and more responsive when you press the shutter button to snap the pic. On my TP I always snapped the shutter and had to be very still while it focused then took the picture. On the TP2 while it still goes through the same process it seems to be a bit quicker, thus resulting in better quality pics from the lack of having to hold the phone still for so long.
  • Battery life, I don't know yet as I've only had it almost 24 hours. If it's close to the TP I suppose I will be happy. Long gone are the days of a phone going almost a week w\o charging. Let's face it, it's no longer just a phone and the amount of time we spend on our "smart phones" and the operations we complete on them far exceed what we ever did on that old Motorola, Sanyo or Samsung flip/clam shell. I myself have a charger in the car, at my desk at home and work as well as a couple of wall chargers. I plug it in a couple of times a day w\o inconvenience as well as every night and am able to not have to worry about pulling a dead device out of my pocket.
  • Yes HTC FINALLY figured out that their 3.5mm headphone dongle was CRAP and that their supplied mini USB headphones were also CRAP. They finally included the 3.5mm headphone jack on the phone. Unfortunately for this newly found earphone goodness we now have to remove the battery plate to get to the soft reset button. I myself use the soft reset button way more than I will ever plug headphones in to it.

And now the cons
  • It doesn't come with a case. Not a huge issue as it fits in my old TP case/holster which I have several of.
  • It doesn't come with a micro sd card. Again, not a problem as I have been transferring my larger than "supplied" card from phone to phone for a while now.
  • Location of the soft reset button. Who in their right mind would make you remove the battery cover to accomplish a soft reset!

All I can say is overall I am way impressed with this new phone. It definitely has met every expectation I have developed over the last month while I waited for it. I am sure I will be even more impressed once the new HSPL is out and I can get back to WM 6.5 and the kick a$$ ROM's that I have become accustomed to.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:21 PM
FLipper
Mobile Model: HTC TOUCH PRO

View pipiriche1's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View pipiriche1's Photo Album Add pipiriche1's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

i defenetly upgrading my touch pro has been acting wierd... i am going to get the touch pro 2
Old 11-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Addict
Mobile Model: Touch Pro

View roopull's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View roopull's Photo Album Add roopull's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I've been pondering the TP2, but with the dragon & others coming right around the bend AND my TP is now working flawlessly, I think I'll wait.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Mobile Model: TP One

View ppopper78's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ppopper78's Photo Album Add ppopper78's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I would just to keep up with the jones and get the new software/hardware.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Addict

View roopull's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View roopull's Photo Album Add roopull's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

That's part of why I went from the Mogul to the Touch Pro. I really didn't NEED or even WANT a new phone, but when I found out there was something BETTER than my Mogul, I just had to keep up.

I use my phone for work every day and have modded it so that it's exactly what I need. It's not been the "top of the line" phone for a while, now, but it gets the job done & I'm hard pressed to believe that ANY phone would actually fulfill my personal needs any better. Plus, the prospect of installing all my apps, re-learning a new device, and the potential for malfunctions just has me sitting back & thinking I'll wait.

But, I'd be a bold faced liar if I said there's a big part of me that isn't aching for a TP2, Droid, or... *drool* one of the upcoming Snapdragon powered devices. They give me goosebumps.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 AM
Mobile Model: HtC ToUcH PrIzZo 2
Mobile Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,710 Posts

View GokuSS3's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View GokuSS3's Photo Album Add GokuSS3's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by roopull View Post

That's part of why I went from the Mogul to the Touch Pro. I really didn't NEED or even WANT a new phone, but when I found out there was something BETTER than my Mogul, I just had to keep up.

I use my phone for work every day and have modded it so that it's exactly what I need. It's not been the "top of the line" phone for a while, now, but it gets the job done & I'm hard pressed to believe that ANY phone would actually fulfill my personal needs any better. Plus, the prospect of installing all my apps, re-learning a new device, and the potential for malfunctions just has me sitting back & thinking I'll wait.

But, I'd be a bold faced liar if I said there's a big part of me that isn't aching for a TP2, Droid, or... *drool* one of the upcoming Snapdragon powered devices. They give me goosebumps.
That is what makes modding truely fun is having a new challenge something else to learn. Installing what you want is easy even if you flashing all the time. Just have to set it up the right way. Heck with my Pro I could flash and have all my app back on it like 30 mins. An i probably flash at least once a week if not more lol....

Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM

Re: Re Touch Pro vs Touch Pro2 Should You Upgrade

“ Originally Posted by GokuSS3 View Post

That is what makes modding truely fun is having a new challenge something else to learn. Installing what you want is easy even if you flashing all the time. Just have to set it up the right way. Heck with my Pro I could flash and have all my app back on it like 30 mins. An i probably flash at least once a week if not more lol....
aint that the truth, once you do it a couple times or in my case becauase of the mod service a couple thousand times you can set it up pretty quick lmao
Old 12-18-2009, 01:06 PM

View Bluedakid's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Bluedakid's Photo Album Add Bluedakid's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Sprint gave me the tp2 4 free due to the keyboard issue on tp1 sprint said it was costin to much to keep replacin them... so if you have a sprint tp n want the tp2.. n your having keyboard issues i suggest you get it while the gettn is good!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:07 PM

“ Originally Posted by Bluedakid View Post

Sprint gave me the tp2 4 free due to the keyboard issue.. sprint said it was costin to much to keep replacein them... so you you have a sprint tp n want the tp2.. n your have keyboard i suggest you get it while the gettn is good!
whats your area like city? each area is different and even each store is different.

but none the less congrats on getting a touch pro 2 !
Old 12-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Addict

Re Re Touch Pro vs Touch Pro2 Should You Upgrade

“ Originally Posted by GokuSS3 View Post

Well, to give you an example of what I'm talking about, a few nights ago, I was driving along in the fog and realized I'd better use Bing or Google Maps to make sure I didn't miss my turn (visibility made it so I couldn't even see the street signs.) So, while driving an 8000 truck with a manual down a narrow country road, I managed to pull out my phone, open Bing, hit the "map" icon, hit the soft key area of the screen for "menu," count the three clicks to "track me using GPS," and didn't even glance at my phone until I could see out of the corner of my eye that the map had loaded.

Maybe after the Christmas rush at UPS, I'll be more tempted to look at a better phone. Til then, I want something that I can operate with my eyes closed and without thinking! LOL!
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
pro, pro2, touch, upgrade