puertoblack2003 puertoblack2003 is offline   Thread Starter  
OG Member
Mobile Model: Pixel 7 Pro
Mobile Carrier: Metro PCS
Mobile OS: Android

Thanked 10,859 Times in 2,859 Posts
Downloads: 26
Uploads: 152

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
WTF with these lawsuit

you know these lawsuits is starting to get lame.I mean i understand that if you feel that your right or product was violated or compromise then you should take action by mediate among the peers first..

check this out

Best Buy, Samsung, others named in GPL suit

“ Quote ”

Best Buy, Samsung, Westinghouse, and JVC are among 14 consumer electronics companies named in a copyright infringement lawsuit filed Monday in New York by the Software Freedom Law Center.

According to the complaint (PDF), the defendants sold products containing software application BusyBox in violation of the terms of its license, the GNU General Public License version 2 (GPLv2).

The entire list of companies named in the suit is as follows: Best Buy; Samsung; Westinghouse; JVC; Western Digital; Robert Bosch; Phoebe Micro; Humax USA; Comtrend; Dobbs-Stanford; Versa Technology; Zyxel Communications; Astak; GCI Technologies.

source info

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puertoblack2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: WTF with these lawsuit

wow so basically what this is saying is this if not mistaking and correct me if im wrong...

1. this is a linux binary code
  2. the code allows programs using the same commands to run off the same line of code thus saving space and minimizing size.
  3. so basically this is like the hirens boot disc that the above forementioned best buy geeks squad uses which consists of all different programs from,defragging to virus and adware removal tools. they have all these apps fitting on one disc and built so they can use the same lines of code as other programs on the disc if they do the same thing thus saving the space.
  4. why would these companies be getting hot for this if linux is open source? or did they not ask for the permission to use?
  5. 5. if that is the case can these companies go after the creator doing the suing since their app might have been added to this code as well?
like the title states im not sure whats going on in the world today, sure the economy is bad but does that mean that we just go around and sue everyone for anything and everything that is remotely close to being against the law or unethical?
Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 PM
OG Member

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

wow so basically what this is saying is this if not mistaking and correct me if im wrong...

1. this is a linux binary code
  2. the code allows programs using the same commands to run off the same line of code thus saving space and minimizing size.
  3. so basically this is like the hirens boot disc that the above forementioned best buy geeks squad uses which consists of all different programs from,defragging to virus and adware removal tools. they have all these apps fitting on one disc and built so they can use the same lines of code as other programs on the disc if they do the same thing thus saving the space.
  4. why would these companies be getting hot for this if linux is open source? or did they not ask for the permission to use?
  5. 5. if that is the case can these companies go after the creator doing the suing since their app might have been added to this code as well?
like the title states im not sure whats going on in the world today, sure the economy is bad but does that mean that we just go around and sue everyone for anything and everything that is remotely close to being against the law or unethical?

the problem i think is gpl source code is free, but you can't profit from it as i believe that is whats going on..If they were smart they should have got a conditional use of the codes and all the money they made , they should donate to them for the development beings that its free

Old 12-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by puertoblack2003 View Post

the problem i think is gpl source code is free, but you can't profit from it as i believe that is whats going on..If they were smart they should have got a conditional use of the codes and all the money they made , they should donate to them for the development beings that its free

true, and i wonder what products they could be going after best buy for..... the only one i can think of possibly is their home brand insignia. or geek squad perhaps for using their version of the hirens boot disc.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:00 AM
OG Member

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

true, and i wonder what products they could be going after best buy for..... the only one i can think of possibly is their home brand insignia. or geek squad perhaps for using their version of the hirens boot disc.
its standard in lawsuit because bestbuy is carrying the product..

Post New ThreadReply

Tags
lawsuit, wtf