Old 10-07-2009, 02:07 AM
iamdasht19 iamdasht19 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Upgrade Your Phone to Windows Mobile 6.5

Upgrade Your Phone to Windows Mobile 6.5

Today's Windows Mobile 6.5 launch is great news for new smartphone buyers, but what if you've already got a Microsoft-powered device? Here's how to upgrade it.

Buzz up!on Yahoo! Windows Mobile 6.5 is mostly a cosmetic refresh, with the underpinnings of the OS remaining the same. But it's a nice improvement, and one that offers direct access to Microsoft's My Phone and Windows Marketplace for Mobile, the company's new online app store. There are also plenty of minor refinements sprinkled throughout the OS. As a result, it's worth getting.
#article { width: 480px; }
View Slideshow See all (13) slides

More

But if your current device runs Windows Mobile 6.1, can you upgrade? Unfortunately, many smartphones won't work with the new OS. It's tough to get vendors and carriers to reveal plans for future OS updates. Many carriers think of these devices as consumer electronics with a fixed design, and not as upgradeable PCs.

One prominent handset vendor told us Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrades aren't cut-and-dry because the carriers are afraid unforeseen issues involving running the new OS will break their fragile networks. Upgrading a phone's OS could create behaviors that weren't there the first time the carrier approved the device. Essentially, the carriers are treating each Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrade as an entirely new phone that needs to be approved all over again. (Anyone with an unlocked GSM device that works with any SIM card knows this is a dubious claim.)
A Verizon spokesperson pointed out that not every device running Windows Mobile could be updated anyway; that capability needs to be built into the device from the beginning. (Translation: forget about updating that Palm Treo 700w.)
Still, there's lots of good news here. If your phone does end up with an OS upgrade, the procedure should be simple. Most updates should be in the form of plugging in a USB cable, downloading an upgrade file or installer, uploading the new OS to the phone, and then rebooting the phone. If you've got an older handset running Windows Mobile 6.1—or just bought one that still has the old version of the OS—here's what you need to know.
Samsung
The Samsung Jack on AT&T will be upgradable to Windows Mobile 6.5, but there's no official release date yet. The same goes for the Samsung Omnia II on Verizon. Both are nice phones that could really benefit from a 6.5 update.
HTC
All recent HTC touchscreen smartphones running Windows Mobile have HTC's proprietary UI, TouchFLO on top. Unlike with the Samsung Jack and Omnia 2, there's a good chance an OS upgrade won't make a lot of visible difference, besides access to Windows Marketplace for Mobile and Microsoft's My Phone service. (Turn TouchFLO off and it will look very different, though.)
The HTC Touch Pro2 and upcoming HTC Touch Diamond2 will have Windows Mobile 6.5 updates available, but it all depends on the carriers. For example, Sprint said its HTC Touch Pro2 update won't arrive until sometime in early 2010.
When questioned for this article, a T-Mobile spokesperson said, "T-Mobile USA continues to partner with Microsoft to offer our customers great smartphone experiences as evidenced by our recent launches of two new, compelling Windows phones, the T-Mobile Dash 3G and the HTC Touch Pro2. We are excited about Windows Mobile and future opportunities with Windows Mobile 6.5 for our customers, but we do not have specific news to share at this time."
Finally, HTC Ozone owners on Verizon are in luck. Not only is the Ozone an excellent smartphone for just $49, but Verizon customers will get an Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrade either from Verizon's or HTC's Web site sometime in early November. Stay tuned for details.
LG
The company behind the "Life Is Good" ad campaign only sells one Windows Mobile smartphone here in the U.S.—the LG Incite on AT&T here in the U.S. LG announced in February that it's developing up to 10 Windows Mobile devices. An LG spokesperson said she is almost positive the Incite won't be upgradable, but couldn't get a definitive answer from headquarters in time for our deadline.
Motorola
Motorola's consumer division recently abandoned making new Windows Mobile devices for an all-Android strategy. As a result, the prognosis for Windows Mobile 6.5 updates is slim. (Motorola didn't respond to repeated requests for comment on Windows Mobile 6.5 updates.)
Unlocked
Unlocked phones don't sell much here in the U.S., and Nokia has cornered much of the small unlocked market with its own Symbian-powered smartphones. Nonetheless, Pharos said its powerful Traveler 137 would be upgradable to Windows Mobile 6.5 by December 21; the company is currently working with Microsoft to certify the upgrade. A spokesperson said that when it's available, the installer would upgrade the 137 using a USB connection from a PC automatically in about 10 minutes.

originally found here:

Code

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353789,00.asp
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Mobile Model: Diamond|Omnia|TP2
Mobile Carrier: verizon

View bikeandestroyx's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View bikeandestroyx's Photo Album Add bikeandestroyx's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re Upgrade Your Phone to Windows Mobile 65

Its really hard to believe M$ and carriers when they say 6.5 wont work on most older devices, yet we have 6.5 running on the apache?? hmmm...
Good thing we have custom roms!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:59 AM
Mobile Model: HtC ToUcH PrIzZo 2
Mobile Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,710 Posts

View GokuSS3's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View GokuSS3's Photo Album Add GokuSS3's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re Re Upgrade Your Phone to Windows Mobile 65

“ Originally Posted by bikeandestroyx View Post

Its really hard to believe M$ and carriers when they say 6.5 wont work on most older devices, yet we have 6.5 running on the apache?? hmmm...
Good thing we have custom roms!
Lol they have not gone over at take a look at the Work XDA puts in. They have 6.5 for almost any phone that with support it haha!!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 03:06 AM
Mobile Model: Diamond|Omnia|TP2
Mobile Carrier: verizon

View bikeandestroyx's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View bikeandestroyx's Photo Album Add bikeandestroyx's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re Re Re Upgrade Your Phone to Windows Mobile 65

“ Originally Posted by GokuSS3 View Post

Lol they have not gone over at take a look at the Work XDA puts in. They have 6.5 for almost any phone that with support it haha!!!!
haha i know that really bugs me!
All we really need is some native oemxipkernels!! then were set. I really want one for the diamond, its a pain to have everything moduled for the tp rom, and then need to recmod stuff for my diamond rom. Common HTC leak a cdma diamond kernel
Old 12-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Mobile Model: htc mogul 6800
Mobile Carrier: sprint pcs
Mobile OS: 6.1

View jhernandez28's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View jhernandez28's Photo Album Add jhernandez28's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Upgrade Your Phone to Windows Mobile 6.5

i have the touch pro for sprint and i wanna get thewm 6.5 how exactly can i do that? is there a file to download to upgrade tthe 6.1 to 6.5 can anyone send me a link or so?
Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Mobile Model: TOUCHpro2
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 7.0

Thanked 6,709 Times in 2,216 Posts

View jr5416's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View jr5416's Photo Album Add jr5416's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re Upgrade Your Phone to Windows Mobile 65

“ Originally Posted by jhernandez28 View Post

i have the touch pro for sprint and i wanna get thewm 6.5 how exactly can i do that? is there a file to download to upgrade tthe 6.1 to 6.5 can anyone send me a link or so?
You have to flash bro did u read the member intro and the how 2s around the site , under article and flashing to custom roms u will find the solution there

Old 12-28-2009, 09:08 PM
iamdasht19 iamdasht19 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Upgrade Your Phone to Windows Mobile 6.5

“ Originally Posted by jhernandez28 View Post

take a look at my signature by clicking the see signature tab on the bottom left under this post where my writing is. when your flashing roms be sure TO FULLY READ and FOLLOW ALL STEPS CAREFULLY sicne you can brick your phone if done wrong. if you follow the guide you will be fine. also be sure that you are using the tutorial for the touch pro and not another device sicne that will laso brick if you flash the wrong bootloader.

https://www.smartphonejunkie.org/f49...=FLASHING+ROMS

heres where you can find your roms:
Windows Mobile - COOKED ROM RELEASES
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
mobile, phone, upgrade, windows