ICEM/\N ICEM/\N is offline   Thread Starter  
The Man with the Plan!
Mobile Model: Mogul/Touch/IPHONE3G
Mobile Carrier: Sprint,AT&T,T-Mobile
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 4,700 Times in 1,421 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View ICEM/\N's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ICEM/\N's Photo Album Add ICEM/\N's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Newblinkie What the Droid and the Zune Have in Common

Remember back when the iPod was the coolest thing around? The phrase “iPod Killer” is something seemingly every personal media player (PMP) that came out, was at some point, deemed to be.

It turns out, the only thing that ever ended up killing the iPod was the iPhone. One cool, lustful Apple device over another.

But back in the glory days of the PMP, every competitor tried to out-feature and out-spec the iPod as the lack of features was the perceived weakness of the device.

“Hey! The iPod doesn’t have a removable battery or space for a SD card. There’s also no FM radio! Let’s get the boys in engineering on that–stat!”

When it was first released, people figured the Zune was probably over-billed as an iPod killer, but that it would a successful product in its own right. However, the reason why the Zune turned out nowhere near anything that even resembled an iPod killer is because it’s not about a feature-war. Rather than trying to beat the iPhone by going after its perceived weaknesses–a lack of features, they should have taken the disgusting, slimey, but effective advice of Karl Rove–”Don’t attack your enemy’s weaknesses, attack their strengths.” If you best your competitor’s strengths, all they are left with are the weaknesses.

The reason people loved the iPod (and now the iPhone) was the user experience, not the feature set.

Which brings us to the Droid. Now that the PMP is irrelevant, the Droid is going the Zune route against a different Apple product.

Every review I’ve read says that the two biggest pain points in the Droid are the unusable camera and the dreadful physical keyboard. I have not had any significant time with the Droid myself, but I ran my thoughts by mobile hardware genius Noah Kravitz of PhoneDog.com who had extended time to play with his Droid review unit, and he agreed in this respect.

In the “Droid Does” campaign it’s a classic case of going after your enemy’s weakness. It seems that they tacked on a horrid physical keyboard just so they could say that they have one. And the camera?

“Who cares about the actual quality of the camera, let’s make it five megapixels–two better than the iPhone 3GS!! Then let’s make a commercial about it!”

Everyone says that the Droid is the thinnest slider ever, but imagine how much thinner, more lightweight and sleeker a phone it could have been if it didn’t have a keyboard-in-name-only.

The media player also has been receiving poor marks in every review. This is one of the iPhones strengths and should have been one the things they were trying to attack. But this brings up a good point: who is “They?” Motorola? Google? Verizon?

This is the fundamental difference between Apple and Android (and if we’re assuming Windows Mobile is still relevant, then them too). Apple controls the hardware and the OS it uses, and can tweak the hardware/software mix to (near) perfection. This is why it’s not fair to compare any other phone makers, save for RIM and Palm, to Apple.

This is why we have yet to see a phone that will “kill” the iPhone and why trying to create a killer is futile (unless you are Palm with the Pre or RIM with the *snicker* Storm). This still doesn’t mean that there can’t be great phones that don’t kill the iPhone. From all accounts, the Droid is a great phone–but it could have avoided its two biggest drawbacks if it hadn’t gone down the Zune path and stayed out of the attempted murder business.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ICEM/\N For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
Mobile Model: Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 6,468 Times in 1,715 Posts

View Mike20PR's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Mike20PR's Photo Album Add Mike20PR's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re What the Droid and the Zune Have in Common

“ Quote ”

”Don’t attack your enemy’s weaknesses, attack their strengths.” If you best your competitor’s strengths, all they are left with are the weaknesses.
+100000000000000000000!!!!!!! Jackpot!!!!! Could have not said it better myself

Old 11-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Re What the Droid and the Zune Have in Common

“ Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post

+100000000000000000000!!!!!!! Jackpot!!!!! Could have not said it better myself
word and the way he put it was great as well it made it easy for all people to understand and made sense. if i was a teach i would give him an A+
Old 11-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Addict
Mobile Model: Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

View roopull's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View roopull's Photo Album Add roopull's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: What the Droid and the Zune Have in Common

Well put.

Not all is lost, though. At least the marketing for the Droid is well done. I can't even say I remember a single Zune commercial.

One of the biggest selling points of the iPhone is the social status one feels he has when he gets an iPhone. With the Droid, if the marketing is as successful as it seems to be, owners of the Droid will enjoy a similar bit of status... "You have an iPhone? Oh yeah? Well, I got a Droid!"

While going after your competitor's weaknesses is often a recipe for failure, the Droid does it carefully. They point out weaknesses that cannot be debated. No one thinks an irreplaceable battery is better than a replaceable one, for example. That's not really subjective... it's simply undeniable.

In my opinion, though, really good marketing doesn't mention your competition at all. You pretend they don't even exist. You pretend like you're the only kid on the block. Case in point... has anyone EVER seen a Coca-Cola commercial that acknowledges the existence of anything except Coca-Cola? Meanwhile, just about every single Pepsi-Cola commercial reminds you that you can also choose Coke. I REALLY think Apple should and could pull off that type of advertising. Instead, they have always reminded us we have a choice...

I'd like to comment on Windows Mobile advertising, but I'm not sure it exists.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch

View CrAshTaH's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View CrAshTaH's Photo Album Add CrAshTaH's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: What the Droid and the Zune Have in Common

Very good points. I completely agree that nothing out there has a better user experience for the average user than the iphone. Thats what people should really be trying to do. This coming from a wm user.
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
common, droid, zune