ICEM/\N ICEM/\N is offline   Thread Starter  
The Man with the Plan!
Mobile Model: Mogul/Touch/IPHONE3G
Mobile Carrier: Sprint,AT&T,T-Mobile
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 4,700 Times in 1,421 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View ICEM/\N's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ICEM/\N's Photo Album Add ICEM/\N's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Newblinkie Tests show ATT 3G network outperforms Verizon coverage maps be damned

Tests show AT&T 3G network outperforms Verizon, coverage maps be damned

Read more:

Code

http://www.intomobile.com/2009/12/06/tests-show-att-3g-network-outperforms-verizon-coverage-maps-be-damned.html#ixzz0YyP50hj7

“ Quote ”

Verizon has been going all-out with advertisements that poo-poo AT&T (NYSE: T)’s 3G network and its relatively spotty coverage maps. AT&T has been fighting back with their own ads that point out their superior 3G speeds and the ability to handle voice and data communications simultaneously. But, with Verizon (NYSE: VZ)’s almost Jedi-like influence over public perception of their rival’s 3G network, AT&T could use some more firepower in this battle of the wireless giants. Fortunately for them, a new study from wireless network performance monitoring start-up Root Wireless shows that Big Blue’s 3G network significantly outperforms Big Red’s 3G network in seven major US metro areas.

Root Wireless’s latest survey, which measured varying performance metrics on Verizon’s and AT&T’s networks in seven major US markets where both carriers had 3G coverage, showed that AT&T’s HSPA 3G network was faster and served up stronger wireless signals than Verizon’s EVDO 3G network. AT&T averaged wireless data download speeds of 246 kbps to 428 kbps, while Verizon Wireless averaged download speeds of 195 kbps to 259 kbps. AT&T even managed to beat Verizon with lower rates of data connection failures in some markets. Verizon did, however, slightly beat AT&T’s upload data speeds in most markets. Both carriers averaged upload speeds of 94 kbps to 138 kbps.

What gives? AT&T’s HSPA 3G network is completely independent of their 2G infrastructure. Verizon’s EVDO 3G network, on the other hand, shares resources with its 2G network – ferrying voice and data communications over the same infrastructure. That might provide Verizon with a more widespread 3G coverage map, but because Verizon gives voice communications priority over data, Verizon’s data network suffers as more voice calls hit the network. AT&T simply reroutes voice communications to its 2G network when capacity becomes an issue, leaving the “pipes” wide open for data services.

Still, AT&T still has problems. Root Wireless found that complaints of flaky 3G service weren’t without merit. While much of AT&T’s 3G network showed strong signals, Root found that 3G signals dropped down to less than half of full power in 30%-50% of the carrier’s 3G footprint in six of the seven markets.

When wireless carriers start battling over which network is the “best” or has the “fastest” data speeds, it’s usually hard to tell marketing-speak from truth. That’s AT&T’s biggest problem. Verizon’s marketing speak seems to be much more effective than AT&T’s “our network can do voice and data simultaneously” rebuttal. Root Wireless’s results finally shed some truth on these claims. At the end of the day, when it comes down to physical 3G coverage, Verizon wins. You’ll always get decently fast data speeds on Verizon’s network. But, in all other performance metrics that matter for a 3G network, it seems AT&T’s 3G network outperforms Verizon. It’s up to you to decide which is best for you.

[Via: TelephonyOnline]

Old 12-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Mobile Model: Sprint Pro
Mobile Carrier: 2963 DL speed REV A

Thanked 2,006 Times in 615 Posts

View broSki's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View broSki's Photo Album Add broSki's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re Tests show ATT 3G network outperforms Verizon coverage maps be damned

these field tests are really inconclusive and alot has to be taken into matter, for one I have the iphone and hell no att 3G speeds arent faster, I put it up personally in a data speed test with a bunch of verizon and sprint tests and Att 3G was the slowest....but w/e we all really know which is the fastest....SPRINT BABY
Old 12-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Tests show ATT 3G network outperforms Verizon coverage maps be damned

i agree with you broski, 7 major cities? woohoo only 7 and who picked the cities at&t because they knew or what? at&T has never ad faster speeds than my sprint ppc's or my verizon ones and i dont think that it will ever happen.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Mobile Model: Sprint Pro
Mobile Carrier: 2963 DL speed REV A

Thanked 2,006 Times in 615 Posts

View broSki's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View broSki's Photo Album Add broSki's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re Tests show ATT 3G network outperforms Verizon coverage maps be damned

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

i agree with you broski, 7 major cities? woohoo only 7 and who picked the cities at&t because they knew or what? at&T has never ad faster speeds than my sprint ppc's or my verizon ones and i dont think that it will ever happen.
Yea bro, on my iphone I still have trouble getting over 900kbps...like wtf, im clock over 2mbps on my sprint tp2 all the time.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Addict
Mobile Model: Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

View roopull's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View roopull's Photo Album Add roopull's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Tests show ATT 3G network outperforms Verizon coverage maps be damned

In cities? In cities? Really? Who cares about "in cities?" EVERY CARRIER has great coverage IN CITIES!!! It's when you dare to venture outside of the metropolis that the crap hits the fan. And, if COVERAGE isn't the question, let's throw ATT against Sprint's 4G network & see how it stacks up... Yeah yeah, there's almost no 4g coverage with Sprint, but ATT insists coverage isn't an issue.

Heck, if coverage isn't important, then I have the bestest network in the WORLD, right here in my living room. Granted, the coverage is limited to a few dozen square feet...

The more I hear from ATT, the more I want to watch them die a slow and ugly death. Maybe T-Mobile will buy their carcass. And those stupid commercials with what's-his-face... gag me.
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
att, coverage, damned, maps, network, outperforms, tests, verizon