Old 05-23-2009, 09:48 PM
iamdasht19 iamdasht19 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Verizon: Pay Up Or Die

Code

http://www.timesreporter.com/homepage/x862899385/Unconscious-Carroll-man-found-after-11-hour-search

CARROLLTON, OH —

A 62-year-old Carrollton area man was found unconscious and unresponsive Thursday morning during an intense search overnight by Carroll County sheriff deputies, an Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper and the patrol’s airplane.

Two K-9 units, several fire departments and 100 individuals on foot also were involved in the search for the man, who Sheriff Dale Williams said fled his residence on Kensington Rd. after a domestic disturbance call to deputies.

The man, who was treated at the scene by emergency medical technicians, was taken to Aultman Hospital and released Thursday afternoon.
Sheriff Sgt. Ron Clapper and firefighters found the man about 1 a.m. after 11 hours of searching in an area just north of Augusta, including Manfull Orchards, where there is a Verizon cell phone tower.
Williams said he attempted to use the man’s cell phone signal to locate him, but the man was behind on his phone bill and the Verizon operator refused to connect the signal unless the sheriff’s department agreed to pay the overdue bill. After some disagreement, Williams agreed to pay $20 on the phone bill in order to find the man. But deputies discovered the man just as Williams was preparing to make arrangements for the payment.
The sheriff organized the search party for the man after deputies responded to the domestic call Wednesday at 2:21 p.m. at the Kensington Rd. residence. The sheriff said the caller said the man was destroying the house and breaking windows and other items.
But when deputies arrived they were told the man had fled and had taken several bottles of pills.
“I was more concerned for the person’s life,” Williams said. “It would have been nice if Verizon would have turned on his phone for five or 10 minutes, just long enough to try and find the guy. But they would only turn it on if we agreed to pay $20 of the unpaid bill. Ridiculous.”
Williams said he doesn’t know how close the situation was to becoming a tragedy because he’s not a doctor, but he thinks the man’s condition was very serious
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2009, 10:16 PM
The VenumX Factor
Mobile Model: HTC Touch PRO
Mobile Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,192 Posts

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Verizon: Pay Up Or Die

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

Code

http://www.timesreporter.com/homepage/x862899385/Unconscious-Carroll-man-found-after-11-hour-search

CARROLLTON, OH —

A 62-year-old Carrollton area man was found unconscious and unresponsive Thursday morning during an intense search overnight by Carroll County sheriff deputies, an Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper and the patrol’s airplane.

Two K-9 units, several fire departments and 100 individuals on foot also were involved in the search for the man, who Sheriff Dale Williams said fled his residence on Kensington Rd. after a domestic disturbance call to deputies.

The man, who was treated at the scene by emergency medical technicians, was taken to Aultman Hospital and released Thursday afternoon.
Sheriff Sgt. Ron Clapper and firefighters found the man about 1 a.m. after 11 hours of searching in an area just north of Augusta, including Manfull Orchards, where there is a Verizon cell phone tower.
Williams said he attempted to use the man’s cell phone signal to locate him, but the man was behind on his phone bill and the Verizon operator refused to connect the signal unless the sheriff’s department agreed to pay the overdue bill. After some disagreement, Williams agreed to pay $20 on the phone bill in order to find the man. But deputies discovered the man just as Williams was preparing to make arrangements for the payment.
The sheriff organized the search party for the man after deputies responded to the domestic call Wednesday at 2:21 p.m. at the Kensington Rd. residence. The sheriff said the caller said the man was destroying the house and breaking windows and other items.
But when deputies arrived they were told the man had fled and had taken several bottles of pills.
“I was more concerned for the person’s life,” Williams said. “It would have been nice if Verizon would have turned on his phone for five or 10 minutes, just long enough to try and find the guy. But they would only turn it on if we agreed to pay $20 of the unpaid bill. Ridiculous.”
Williams said he doesn’t know how close the situation was to becoming a tragedy because he’s not a doctor, but he thinks the man’s condition was very serious
wow verizon are *****es, NO HEART VERIZON !!!!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2009, 10:21 PM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by VenumX View Post

yeah pretty much and if im not mistaking from what one of my teachers said... there is a number for all law enforcement to call 24-7 where they can get a persons phone activated by calling through that number and than giving the info to the rep like on the persons name and all.... like paul walker did in the original fast and furious when lance or whoever went into shock after getting ****ed up by that trucker.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch wm6.5

Thanked 1,869 Times in 516 Posts

View menikfire's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View menikfire's Photo Album Add menikfire's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH

his phone bill and the Verizon operator refused to connect
the signal unless the sheriff’s department agreed to pay the overdue bill.

“ Originally Posted by VenumX View Post

that is ****ed up!!
and yet verizon let the sheriffs pay the bill???

The Following User Says Thank You to menikfire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2009, 03:19 AM
Mobile Model: Touch Prizo!!!
Mobile Carrier: sprint

Thanked 7,924 Times in 2,668 Posts

View Superman369's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Superman369's Photo Album Add Superman369's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

yeah pretty much and if im not mistaking from what one of my teachers said... there is a number for all law enforcement to call 24-7 where they can get a persons phone activated by calling through that number and than giving the info to the rep like on the persons name and all.... like paul walker did in the original fast and furious when lance or whoever went into shock after getting ****ed up by that trucker.
???? Man, I must be outta the loop on that one. Never even heard of it. I gotta get the hook up.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Superman369 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2009, 04:11 AM
EkLiPz3
Mobile Model: BB Bold 9700
Mobile Carrier: T-Mobile
Mobile OS: BlackBerry

View eklipz3's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View eklipz3's Photo Album Add eklipz3's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Now thats just wrong the verizon rep should be fired for pullin sum stuff like that.. just goes to show how cold hearted people can be in this world.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eklipz3 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Mobile Model: XV-6800 (Flashed)
Mobile Carrier: Cricket
Mobile OS: 6.1

View DenverDev's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View DenverDev's Photo Album Add DenverDev's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Private companies are not compelled to provide information to law enforcement outside of certain perameters (ie. court order). LE can REQUEST the information based upon circumstances, and under those circumstances, private companies do have some protection. But of course, in the long run, private companies are more concerned about releasing information and getting sued for doing so. Court orders are most often required to COMPEL compliance, however, what are called exigent circumstances can be brought into the mix. For instance, we probably have all heard about 911 calls coming over a cellular phone. The call taker can request that the GPS position be used to get assistance to a party. if you have ever noticed the GPS settings on your phone, it actually has a setting for 911 calls one (which means that you have dialed 911 under the understanding that GPS can/will be utilized to find you) or for every call Gps can be used.

The individual circumstances of each situation are weighed by a bunch of people. I think that this is a good thing. Otherwise, if LE is able to call a company and say "GIVE IT TO ME", and get it, are there any "privacy" protections? Can a "bright yellow line" be drawn that say that in these specific cases its ok and otherwise it is not? I, for one, dont think so.

What muddies the waters soooooo much is the concept of "right vs wrong". Sometimes people do thing that are "wrong", but not necessarily illegal or rise to a level of governmental interference. Other times, people do things that are "right" but in violation of law or do rise to the level of governmental interference. It, certianly, is a frustrating and perhaps overly complicated system, but its a system none the less.

I admit that this post is a bit dis-jointed and has not been carefully edited. the concept is that governmental intrusion must be limited. where those exact lines are or should be is not exactly as clear as many would want them to be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DenverDev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2009, 12:12 PM

“ Originally Posted by eklipz3 View Post

Now thats just wrong the verizon rep should be fired for pullin sum stuff like that.. just goes to show how cold hearted people can be in this world.
well you cant really blame it on the rep because they my be doing what they were told to do and in these times when your boss tells you to do something you do it....

“ Originally Posted by DenverDev View Post

Private companies are not compelled to provide information to law enforcement outside of certain perameters (ie. court order). LE can REQUEST the information based upon circumstances, and under those circumstances, private companies do have some protection. But of course, in the long run, private companies are more concerned about releasing information and getting sued for doing so. Court orders are most often required to COMPEL compliance, however, what are called exigent circumstances can be brought into the mix. For instance, we probably have all heard about 911 calls coming over a cellular phone. The call taker can request that the GPS position be used to get assistance to a party. if you have ever noticed the GPS settings on your phone, it actually has a setting for 911 calls one (which means that you have dialed 911 under the understanding that GPS can/will be utilized to find you) or for every call Gps can be used.

The individual circumstances of each situation are weighed by a bunch of people. I think that this is a good thing. Otherwise, if LE is able to call a company and say "GIVE IT TO ME", and get it, are there any "privacy" protections? Can a "bright yellow line" be drawn that say that in these specific cases its ok and otherwise it is not? I, for one, dont think so.

What muddies the waters soooooo much is the concept of "right vs wrong". Sometimes people do thing that are "wrong", but not necessarily illegal or rise to a level of governmental interference. Other times, people do things that are "right" but in violation of law or do rise to the level of governmental interference. It, certianly, is a frustrating and perhaps overly complicated system, but its a system none the less.

I admit that this post is a bit dis-jointed and has not been carefully edited. the concept is that governmental intrusion must be limited. where those exact lines are or should be is not exactly as clear as many would want them to be.
i like your input on this topic and both sides..... both if he has all the info and with the case explained that he could die or hurt someone else cant you just drop the 20 dollars and stop mentioning that? i understand its 20 bucks he owes the company but the cops and hindreds of others were trying to ge to this guy before he passed... i think both parties could have a different approach and too bad for verizon he was one of their customers.... and my question is how did they know he was through verizon?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:39 PM

View DenverDev's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View DenverDev's Photo Album Add DenverDev's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Quote ”

and my question is how did they know he was through verizon?
it really isnt difficult to determine who the original provider was for a cellular phone. Number portability has made it more difficult, but I can usually look at a cell phone number and tell who the provider mostly like is or at least who the provider was when the number was assigned (If it was assigned in the general Denver/Metro area....I dont see nearly the same number of phone numbers from Ft. Collins or Greely or Colorado Springs etc)...

For instance, if i see a 303-909-xxxx or 303-912-xxxx (which are the prefixes that immediately come to mind) I know that VZW was the original carrier who issued the number. Not too difficult when you read alot of phone numbers and who they have as a carrier...After that, a quick phone call to determine if it is still a valid number with that carrier or who they ported it to....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DenverDev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2009, 09:42 PM

it really isnt difficult to determine who the original provider was for a cellular phone. Number portability has made it more difficult, but I can usually look at a cell phone number and tell who the provider mostly like is or at least who the provider was when the number was assigned (If it was assigned in the general Denver/Metro area....I dont see nearly the same number of phone numbers from Ft. Collins or Greely or Colorado Springs etc)...

For instance, if i see a 303-909-xxxx or 303-912-xxxx (which are the prefixes that immediately come to mind) I know that VZW was the original carrier who issued the number. Not too difficult when you read alot of phone numbers and who they have as a carrier...After that, a quick phone call to determine if it is still a valid number with that carrier or who they ported it to....
i realize that with the numbers but we dont know how he found out he was verizon... wish they would havbe thrown that part in haha
Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM

“ Quote ”

we dont know how he found out he was verizon... wish they would havbe thrown that part in haha
I thnk i am missing something...which "he" are you as finding out about VZW? It says in the article that the sheriff tried to call and the verizon operator told him to put up $20...(my paraphrasing summary) .not that it matters, but i think i missed something....oh wait....sorry i think i understand you.....if you are asking how they knew to call VZW to ask them to turn on the signal, i bet they got that from the wife/girfriend etc....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DenverDev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2009, 10:14 PM

I thnk i am missing something...which "he" are you as finding out about VZW? It says in the article that the sheriff tried to call and the verizon operator told him to put up $20...(my paraphrasing summary) .not that it matters, but i think i missed something....oh wait....sorry i think i understand you.....if you are asking how they knew to call VZW to ask them to turn on the signal, i bet they got that from the wife/girfriend etc....
could be but they had random people around for domestic troubles and all.. the only way i can think of it showing is if the police did get from family or friend like you said..... but what makes one believe that he is going to be carrying around a phone that he cant even use?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2009, 03:24 AM
NOOB 4 EVER
Mobile Model: Touch Pro

Thanked 1,370 Times in 335 Posts

View gadget945's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View gadget945's Photo Album Add gadget945's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

By Nancy Schaar
The Times-Reporter
Posted May 23, 2009 @ 11:49 PM
Last update May 24, 2009 @ 08:39 AM
CARROLLTON – Verizon officials have conducted an internal investigation into events Wednesday concerning a company employee’s actions during the search for a Carroll County man.

Laura Merit, public relations manager for Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia Verizon customers, said on Friday that Verizon would look into the matter, investigate it thoroughly and find out what happened.

A 25-year-old Augusta area man had taken an overdose of pills and ran from his home on Kensington Rd., Carroll County Sheriff Dale Williams said. Williams, deputies, local firefighters, an Ohio State Patrol Officer, two K-9 units and the Patrol’s airplane searched for hours to find the man in a wooded area near Augusta. An incorrect age for the man was provided for a previous story.

Williams had tried to use the man’s cell phone in order to retrieve a signal to assist in locating him. Williams said the Verizon operator he spoke with refused to trace the cell phone signal because the man’s cell phone bill was overdue and the phone had been disconnected.

The operator told the sheriff that if he paid $20 on the bill, the phone signal could be traced.

While the sheriff was making the payment arrangements, a deputy notified the sheriff the man had been found and the sheriff was not forced to make the payment.

Merit said on Saturday that the operator did not follow company policy.

“We made a mistake and it has been addressed. We apologize for the mistake,” stated Merit.

Merit explained that the man’s cell phone was not a regular cell phone, but was a pre-paid service that had run out of minutes. Merit also said that there was a Verizon tower near the area of the search, as Williams had stated. A Verizon technician was working on the tower and was shutting it down, but told Williams he would leave the tower in operation until the man could be located, and he did.

There is a 24-hour hot line number that is available to law enforcement officials, and Merit said the sheriff’s office now has been provided with that number to prevent any similar events.

“We’ll continue to work with law enforcement officials and assist in any way that we can,” Merit stated.

Williams said on Saturday that he’s glad they’ve addressed the matter but he was still very upset over how close this man came to losing his life and was very frustrated with the Verizon operator.

“The cell phone contract for the sheriff’s department is about to expire. We have that contract with Verizon, but at this point, I don’t know if I want to even think about renewing a contract with them,” Williams stated.

The victim was transported to Aultman Hospital at Canton where he was treated and released.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gadget945 For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
die, pay, verizon