ARTICLE: DellDroid: WSJ says Dell is building an Android phone for AT&T

Random Community Topics

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10-11-2009, 09:35 PM
phillynewsnow phillynewsnow is offline   Thread Starter  
Site Moderator - Staff

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View phillynewsnow's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View phillynewsnow's Photo Album Add phillynewsnow's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
ARTICLE: DellDroid: WSJ says Dell is building an Android phone for AT&T

Just when I was beginning to think that Verizon and Google had teamed up to battle AT&T and Apple to the death for control over the US' cellular airspace, the Wall Street Journal goes and reports that Dell is hard at work on an Android OS smartphone destined for AT&T's 2010 lineup. Huh.

This isn't exactly surprising given the recent history of Dell-AT&T rumors, but a cursory look at recent events involving the four giant players does make me scratch my bald dome and say, "Huh," in reaction to this whole thing:

• Apple removes all Google Voice apps from the iPhone OS App Store
  • Google CEO Eric Schmidt steps down from Apple's board of directors
  • Verizon and Google hold a joint press conference announcing forthcoming Android devices on VZW
  • Verizon launches "There's a Map for that" ad campaign, with its thinly veiled digs at AT&T and iPhone
  • Bloggers everywhere put 2 and 2 together and come up with, "Well, maybe no iPhone to Verizon after all, eh? And, huh, still no Android phones on AT&T. This means war!
  • But, wait! Now Dell's making an Android phone for AT&T, after all.
So, um, yeah. I have no idea who's at war with whom, and what the future holds for iPhones on non-AT&T carriers in the US. But maybe AT&T's headed into Android land after all.

And, oh yeah ... Crunchgear previously reported that the Dell Mini 3i - a China-only Android phone pictured up there on the right next to an iPhone - is going to be tweaked a bit and sold in the US market. So it could well be that a 5 megapixel, WiFi-packing variant of the 3i will show up on AT&T sometime next year.

Like I said, "Huh."

Read More From Source
The Following User Says Thank You to phillynewsnow For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
android, article, atandt, building, dell, delldroid, phone, wsj