Old 10-16-2009, 09:20 PM
iamdasht19 iamdasht19 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
HTC Hero CDMA Review - HTC Hero, CDMA (S

HTC Hero CDMA Review - HTC Hero, CDMA (S

What's good:
same beautiful display found on G1 and myTouch; optimized version of HTC's Sense improves performance over earlier version; possibly the best virtual keyboard design currently available (though it will require more powerful hardware to surpass iPhone keyboard performance); 5 MP cam with elegant custom interface; 3.5mm audio jack (!!!); brilliant use of the Android notification system; ability to save homescreen profiles as Scenes; killer widgets; comes bundled with cool apps from Sprint like SprintTV and Visual Voicemail; Flash Lite support.

What's bad: RAM/processor duo are a bit tired in tomorrow's market, though not as bad as many claim; keyboard performance seems to break down long before other apps show signs of distress, and the keyboard should be prioritized; ability to multi-task and load the homescreens with all sorts of customizations can bring Hero to its knees, and the possibilities are incredibly tempting; music player behavior is a bit unpredictable under heavy use; browser functions best when extra options are disabled.
Introduction

This is the first Sense device to hit the States, and it is most certainly a sensation. However, with Blur around the corner and Canvas not far behind, the novelty of a customized version of Android has worn off. Without the ground-breaking hype surrounding the GSM Hero, the weaknesses are more apparent than ever. This is, essentially, the same device I reviewed at the end of July, but because it's basically Sense prototype: the sequel, it doesn't carry the same flash or weight in my mind. So I'm a bit more critical of this one. Take that as you will. I was willing to forgo the luxury of 4 widgets with 6 apps running in the background in order to get the very best from the GSM Hero. Some called bias, others called foul. This time around, I've taken a more realistic approach. People want to compare Hero to the iPhone, only under drastically asymmetrical conditions; they expect the Hero to run 4 widgets and 6 programs in the background. So this was my standard for testing. (cont.)
Design & Features

The updated Hero looks has a more modern, discrete sensibility than the European Hero with its big chin and sharp lines. Four of the front panel buttons are hidden beneath a metal shield, which gives around each button so it can be pressed down; they are not touch-sensitive as many had hoped. All six of the face buttons light up, as does the large, somewhat loose, trackball. At the top of the face, on either side of the speaker, you'll find dual LEDs - each capable of several colors and assigned to various notifications.
One the left side of the phone is a volume rocker, and that's it for external controls. The top features a 3.5mm audio jack and the bottom, a miniUSB port. Speaker screening surrounds the 5.0 MP camera's lense hole on the back cover, which must be removed to swap out the microSD card, though the battery can stay in.
The 3.2" 320 x 480 TFT capacitive touchscreen is the same under the surface as seen in every other HTC Android so far, save the forthcoming Tattoo. It is sensitive and responsive, though not quite at the level (or size) of the iPhone's. What differentiates this screen is the oleophobic coating, which makes it fingerprint resistant and very easy to clean. Those coming from another touch screen will need to adapt to the surface, which is just a bit sticky for clean hands. Once a bit of those natural oils get on it the screen is smooth and a pleasure to touch.
Sense is Sense. If you haven't seen it in action, do yourself a favor and watch some videos on YouTube. HTC's customized version of Android provides fantastic widgets, social network implementation that is quite functional, and the ability to save Scenes; a profile bundle of preferences and settings. HTC has a customized Twitter app called Peep, a built-in Facebook client, and a revamped mail program. All are designed to fit in with the Sense navigation and theming, and all are friendly to the eye. The weather app is particularly attractive.
The camera interface and browser also underwent an HTC makeover, and while this camera wins over the Android default by leaps and bounds, the browser seems to have suffered; despite (possibly because of) the unanimously cheered implementation of Flash Lite. (cont.)
Usability & Performance

For those who like widgets and multi-tasking, Hero's browser is downright sluggish at times. Using it with the out-of-the box settings configuration was frustrating. It was better after a factory reset of this demo unit, but still a bit rough. Then I turned off Flash, javascript, and all other plugins. I changed the homepage. I was left with a lean, mean, real website surfin' machine. Even the keyboard performed fairly well under these circumstances. But I said I would approach this review with the expectations of the average consumer, and to be fair, they expect what they see in the hype. That said, the browser will turn off many, many users. Sprint has all plugs enabled and their PowerDeck set as the default homepage. It checks login information, grabs your location... by the time that page loads, you'll be wondering if the phone is frozen.
The differences between CDMA Hero and GSM Hero, in terms of the internal workings, are practically nil for the average user. Of course this phone works on Sprint's CDMA network, and the battery has been beefed up, but in terms of performance, the Stateside Hero is the same as its European counterpart. HTC has worked hard to deliver the promise of Sense in as robust a fashion as possible without sacrificing too much bling. The end result is that the lovely and intricate animations that defined Sense to hoards of gadget hounds are gone. The flip clock no longer flips; its weather icons are static. The homescreen can now be swiped from panel to panel without lag, even when you are running a bunch of apps. But performance issues pop up at other unfortunate times.
The top complaint I'm hearing from users (after the browser) is a laggy keyboard. HTC has found a way to keep most apps alive and functioning during times of stress, but that keyboard, where instant response is of chief importance, has a problem. I run light so it only bothers me while browsing, but for the average user running Hero for all it's worth, the keyboard just isn't fast enough.
As for calls, texting, emails, calendar use, bluetooth, etc., I have no complaints specific to those activities. The phonje performed well. The music player suffered from lack of power, but that has been covered. I wish the phone could play DRM'ed iTunes files, but what ca you do? Someone else is to blame for that.
Conclusion

I, along with most of you, am anxiously awaiting a Sense device with a 1 GHz+ processor and huge memory banks. When one does come out, people will wonder why I rated the Hero so high. But this is what we have right now. It the current market, I think Hero performance is acceptable, if only when weighed against the incredible advances Sense offers. If there were a Snapdragon Sense phone on the market today, I'd say sell your Hero (though it just might become the new hacker's toy, in place of the T-Mobile G1). Should you buy it? I can't tell you that. I could say that you shouldn't buy a computer for five more years because they'll be so much faster then. It's the perpetual geek dilemma of obsolescence and cost vs. worth. How soon do you neeed Sense?

originally found here:

Code

http://www.phonedog.com/cell-phone-reviews/htc-hero-cdma/htc-hero-cdma-sprint-198634.aspx
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
cdma, hero, htc, review