Old 01-03-2010, 10:12 AM
roopull roopull is offline   Thread Starter  
Addict
Mobile Model: Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View roopull's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View roopull's Photo Album Add roopull's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
venting a little feel free to ignore

For the last week, I've been staying at my mother in law's house. It's a nice place, they make good enough money to host generously, and do well in making their son in law feel very welcome.
[vent on]
But, her computer sucks on a level that is inexcusable to anyone accustomed to anything faster than a 356. Her son works at one of the two big anti-virus companies as a tech, so you'd think her set-up would be SWEET. But, it sucks. The computer itself isn't so bad... a 2.+ dual core XP system from Dell. It even has blazing fast internet. Sound nice, right. Not so... She guards it like a pitbull does a bone in fear that her hacker-loving son in law might do something dreadful to the thing. So, I sit there and patiently put up with IE6. Yes... Internet Explorer 6. Not Firefox, not Opera, not even IE8... heck, not even IE7. IE6!!!!!!!! But, not only that... it's IE6 with about 12 toolbars!!! Half the screen is taken up with toobars!!! Then, there's that Mcafee "security..." What a load of crap that is! I've been online since 93, have never paid for anti-virus and have never had a virus. Meanwhile, she has this crap installed by her techy son and HAS had viruses. Plus, her internet, supposedly about 10 times faster than what I have here (DSL "lite,") is slow as molasses! Oh, please, someone shoot it! Put it out of its misery! The icing on the cake was when I wanted to let my son whatch a DVD on her DVD drive on this lovely little Dell. Nope... no go. No DVD codecs. ARRRRG!!! Thank GOD I'm home!!!!
[vent off]
2+ quad core, Vista, all the codecs I want, AVG, no viruses, no toolbars, Firefox, and a host of add-ons. Sweet. Home sweet Computer Home!!! LOL!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to roopull For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Mobile Model: RHODIUM LEO 2.02
Mobile Carrier: 3G MOBISTAR
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 25,033 Times in 7,581 Posts

View CYBER WEESJE's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View CYBER WEESJE's Photo Album Add CYBER WEESJE's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re venting a little feel free to ignore

Hi toolbars are not good i dont use any whit this dualcore pc how come her son dont install windows 7 on it he works @ company thats gets one for free or reduce price its time to upgrade and all these things whil be gone plus a good antivirus is needet and proper firewall

Old 01-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: venting a little feel free to ignore

“ Originally Posted by roopull View Post

For the last week, I've been staying at my mother in law's house. It's a nice place, they make good enough money to host generously, and do well in making their son in law feel very welcome.
[vent on]
But, her computer sucks on a level that is inexcusable to anyone accustomed to anything faster than a 356. Her son works at one of the two big anti-virus companies as a tech, so you'd think her set-up would be SWEET. But, it sucks. The computer itself isn't so bad... a 2.+ dual core XP system from Dell. It even has blazing fast internet. Sound nice, right. Not so... She guards it like a pitbull does a bone in fear that her hacker-loving son in law might do something dreadful to the thing. So, I sit there and patiently put up with IE6. Yes... Internet Explorer 6. Not Firefox, not Opera, not even IE8... heck, not even IE7. IE6!!!!!!!! But, not only that... it's IE6 with about 12 toolbars!!! Half the screen is taken up with toobars!!! Then, there's that Mcafee "security..." What a load of crap that is! I've been online since 93, have never paid for anti-virus and have never had a virus. Meanwhile, she has this crap installed by her techy son and HAS had viruses. Plus, her internet, supposedly about 10 times faster than what I have here (DSL "lite,") is slow as molasses! Oh, please, someone shoot it! Put it out of its misery! The icing on the cake was when I wanted to let my son whatch a DVD on her DVD drive on this lovely little Dell. Nope... no go. No DVD codecs. ARRRRG!!! Thank GOD I'm home!!!!
[vent off]
2+ quad core, Vista, all the codecs I want, AVG, no viruses, no toolbars, Firefox, and a host of add-ons. Sweet. Home sweet Computer Home!!! LOL!

hahahha sounds like you want my computer.... windows 7 ultimate x64, firefox haha, 8gb ram, quad core processor, fast as could be, avg, and internet that allows you to surf with about being able to pick your nose inbetweeen pressing the enter key And waiting for it to load. well at least your back home on your computer and know how that feels since work computers suck like that with ie6 and all.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Mobile Model: Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: $print

Thanked 2,366 Times in 774 Posts

View PsyChoTk's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View PsyChoTk's Photo Album Add PsyChoTk's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

sounds like you need to run ccleaner on that computer too. it might help speed things up a tad.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by PsyChoTk View Post

sounds like you need to run ccleaner on that computer too. it might help speed things up a tad.
mother in law guards it like a junkyard dog though..... cant install anything on it.... i would have made a backup disc than did what i needed to have done and restored..... see if son hacker can figure out you did that hbahah
Old 01-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Addict

View roopull's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View roopull's Photo Album Add roopull's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

LOL... The funny thing is, a couple of years ago, she did let me clean things up a bit. I put AVG on it, Spybot, Firefox etc... It ran like a scalded dog. At some point, my brother in law "fixed it." By "fixed it," I mean he neutered it.

I did cripple her defenses long enough to put superMP3downloader on it for her husband, but was a good boy & put the glue back in the processor.

Remember "The Slowskis..." the turtles from the cable-internet commercials that hated things fast? Yeah... I think that's my MIL.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:11 PM
OG Member
Mobile Model: Pixel 7 Pro
Mobile Carrier: Metro PCS
Mobile OS: Android

Thanked 10,859 Times in 2,859 Posts
Downloads: 26
Uploads: 152

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

hahahha sounds like you want my computer.... windows 7 ultimate x64, firefox haha, 8gb ram, quad core processor, fast as could be, avg, and internet that allows you to surf with about being able to pick your nose inbetweeen pressing the enter key And waiting for it to load. well at least your back home on your computer and know how that feels since work computers suck like that with ie6 and all.
lol you and i pretty much have the same system specs.But i have a 500 gig hd as my main os box and a 600 and 200 gig hd as a backup and music and movies and pics backup to clear up my main hd.This beast is blazing.. and its from gateway

Old 01-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Mobile Model: Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: $print

Thanked 2,366 Times in 774 Posts

View PsyChoTk's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View PsyChoTk's Photo Album Add PsyChoTk's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

“ Originally Posted by puertoblack2003 View Post

lol you and i pretty much have the same system specs.But i have a 500 gig hd as my main os box and a 600 and 200 gig hd as a backup and music and movies and pics backup to clear up my main hd.This beast is blazing.. and its from gateway
And here I have a small @$$ laptop with a dual core 2.26, 4 gig RAM, 250GB HD Win 7 Pro, avg internet suite, office 2010, autocad 2010, adobe production suite, sony creative suite....................and a 1TB external for storage.................i guess i need to step it up.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:02 PM

“ Originally Posted by puertoblack2003 View Post

hahaha very nice and not too shabby at all. got mine on black friday and only paid 500 bucks after taxes and that included a 22 inch hp widescreen lcd monitor, printer, and the computer with the 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive, quad core processor and some other goodies

“ Originally Posted by PsyChoTk View Post

And here I have a small @$$ laptop with a dual core 2.26, 4 gig RAM, 250GB HD Win 7 Pro, avg internet suite, office 2010, autocad 2010, adobe production suite, sony creative suite....................and a 1TB external for storage.................i guess i need to step it up.
hahha not bad my lappy has the 4gigs ram, 500 gb hard drive, windows 7 ultimate, avg internet suite and security, office 2007, photoshop and some other goodies.. also have the wd 1tb external hard drive that i use mainly for my lappy.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Addict

For 99% of what I use my 'puter for, I could get along just fine with a state of the art 1999 POS1000... LOL...

The only thing I do that requires any muscle, anymore, is digital video editing & even that isn't the system testing nightmare it used to be.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:01 PM

Re: Re venting a little feel free to ignore

“ Originally Posted by roopull View Post

For 99% of what I use my 'puter for, I could get along just fine with a state of the art 1999 POS1000... LOL...

The only thing I do that requires any muscle, anymore, is digital video editing & even that isn't the system testing nightmare it used to be.
true that, i do quite a bit on my computers from school, to photoshop, to everytihng else including coding program languages and such.... need the resources for all i do otherwise i would spend more time waiting for it to load than actually doing
Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Addict

Right... My old computer, a home built monster, was needed for video editing back in 2002 when I built it. The only other option was a top of the line computer that still wouldn't do what I needed it to do.

Now, even "moderate" computers can outrun my old home-built unit with ease.

The system I have now is an off the shelf HP with average stats... the ONLY thing I may upgrade is the graphic card, but that'd just be for my amusement rather than any real need. I'm amazed at how cheap the hardware has gotten.

Just a few years ago, the processor in this computer would have cost you around a grand. I bought the whole system, last year, for right about $300.

I don't do games, anymore, so if I ever am FORCED to upgrade, it'll either be for memory or because my OS becomes so out of date, I have to. LOL...
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
feel, free, ignore, venting