Mike20PR Mike20PR is offline   Thread Starter  
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
Mobile Model: Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 6,468 Times in 1,715 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View Mike20PR's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Mike20PR's Photo Album Add Mike20PR's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Sprint HTC Hero Text Messaging Problem

ok i found the first issue with the Hero and its a doozie.... there is a problem with text messages not working especially when memory is low and Android force closes processes to free up memory kills your ability to recieve text messages all together. Since i bought this phone i sent like 3 messages and recieved none. At first i thought nobody wrote to me till my GF told me that the indeed did and a few to be exact. This is not a small issue and needs to be addressed. Also, stay away from task killer apps in market cuz these also create this problem when it closes everything without exception... I uninstalled advanced task killer, rebooted and the problem remains, ima take it to sprint in a minute but, wow what a way to rub me the wrong direction...

there is another thread on this and it looks like to be a common problem that Sprint is prioritizing on...

Code

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=572134

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike20PR For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2009, 05:00 PM
OG Member
Mobile Model: Pixel 7 Pro
Mobile Carrier: Metro PCS
Mobile OS: Android

Thanked 10,859 Times in 2,859 Posts
Downloads: 26
Uploads: 152

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Sprint HTC Hero Text Messaging Problem

hey mike try to update your profile and and your prl because sprint has a outdated prl in the box from shipping...and let me know.. i just called my daughter and she said she ran out of minutes loll..and couldn't text me....but i'm good tho..

Old 10-16-2009, 06:50 PM
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN

View Mike20PR's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Mike20PR's Photo Album Add Mike20PR's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re Sprint HTC Hero Text Messaging Problem

Fixed it on my end. I ended up doing a master reset (thank goodness for google backup) and seems to be up and running, not sure on the message delay yet. TIP: stay away from Advanced Task Killer... imma set up an exclusion list to see if it can be used without system damage cuz i need one...

Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM
OG Member

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Re Sprint HTC Hero Text Messaging Problem

“ Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post

Fixed it on my end. I ended up doing a master reset (thank goodness for google backup) and seems to be up and running, not sure on the message delay yet. TIP: stay away from Task Killer... imma set up an exclusion list to see if it can be used without system damage cuz i need one...
you better off with advance task manager which i use..no issues as of yet....

Old 10-16-2009, 07:33 PM
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN

There is a huge delay on my end... i sent one from my sisters phone a while ago and recieved it 20 minutes later when i was on my way to sprint right after i rebooted, i turned back thinking it was fine and tried again now when i got home. Still havent got it.... ughh havent touched any task manager btw. Imma try a couple of more times and its off to sprint tommorow then. Bummer...

Edit: just got it. Time, between 5 to 10 minutes. Imo its something related to the patch sprint used to make android cdma compatible since it goes native in 1.6 and not 1.5

Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 PM
OG Member

“ Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post

There is a huge delay on my end... i sent one from my sisters phone a while ago and recieved it 20 minutes later when i was on my way to sprint right after i rebooted, i turned back thinking it was fine and tried again now when i got home. Still havent got it.... ughh havent touched any task manager btw. Imma try a couple of more times and its off to sprint tommorow then. Bummer...

Edit: just got it. Time, between 5 to 10 minutes. Imo its something related to the patch sprint used to make android cdma compatible since it goes native in 1.6 and not 1.5

so far i haven't had any issues i was texting with dash back and forth without any issue as of yet
and with my daughter she finally she bought some minutes.i wondering how many other hero users are facing this.?

Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Mobile Model: RHODIUM LEO 2.02
Mobile Carrier: 3G MOBISTAR

Thanked 25,033 Times in 7,581 Posts

View CYBER WEESJE's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View CYBER WEESJE's Photo Album Add CYBER WEESJE's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

he bro here you whil find advance task manager and taskiller even app to see what runs in the background

Code

https://www.smartphonejunkie.org/f520/android-starter-pack-apps-192708/

GRTZ CYBER WEESJE
ADMINISTRATOR@SPJ

Old 10-16-2009, 08:26 PM
OG Member

“ Originally Posted by CYBER WEESJE View Post

he bro here you whil find advance task manager and taskiller even app to see what runs in the background

Code

https://www.smartphonejunkie.org/f520/android-starter-pack-apps-192708/

GRTZ CYBER WEESJE
ADMINISTRATOR@SPJ
yea i use the advance task manger but he had issues with the task killler

Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 PM
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN

Yup advanced task killer started it. Imma try advanced task manager, thanx for the tip.

I posted the same thing on ppcgeeks and there are a couple more with this issue as well.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Supporter
Mobile Model: HTC Touch Pro/HERO

View forty01's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View forty01's Photo Album Add forty01's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

So far, I haven't run into any issues with text. It's been working as it should. I have been using TasKiller, but am always looking for the best thing for my device. The one problem I ran into yesterday is the syncing of my Google Calendar's. It initially worked great. I have been using Mail2Web(ActiveSync) for my email (3 different GMail Accounts) and Contacts, but early yesterday morning the syncing of my calendar has had issues. It won't. It makes my Force Close and gives me various errors. I've been trying to search, but haven't found anything anywhere that shows a fix. I might just hard reset and not use TasKiller and see if the problem has been resolved. Other than that, everything has been running like a champ.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:44 PM
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN

Well after a factory reset, and a profile/prl update im happy to say that its working again. I HAVE NOT INSTALLED ADVANCED TASK KILLER which seems to be the one that started this since its the only task manager i have used and to my surprise, my hero is just as fast and responsive letting android handle the memory management. I found out i did not need it after all. At first the messages had a 5-15 minute delay till i recieved them but i tested again after i woke up just now and no delay at all. Looks like its back to normal.... sooo relieved

Old 10-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Supporter
Mobile Model: HTC Touch Pro/HERO

View forty01's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View forty01's Photo Album Add forty01's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I haven't had any problems with messages coming or going, but I did test the phone to see if awake after text message and the timer is still going, so I think I'm going to have to use HandCent, since that was the most recommended Text App.

This was information passed on if you dig into the links from Dash's post:

Code

https://www.smartphonejunkie.org/f477/hero-tips-tricks-fixes-192720/
Q) How do I know if my phone is sleeping?
A) When your screen is actually turned off, there's no way for to know. However you can check your timer at: Settings < About Phone < Status < Awake Time. Pull it up and then put your phone to sleep. Wait 1 minute and then wake it up. If your awake time has counted by more than 5-10 seconds then your phone isn't sleeping. Also the % should be less than 100%. The lower the better. You can reset the timers by powering the phone off and on again.

It never gave me issues, but to know it's not truly sleeping and things are running, which means power is being pulled form it, is something I want resolved. I will post back to let you know if the timer stops by making the corrections.

--------- New Post Merged on 18/10/2009 at 1218 --------

I added Handcent, which by the way is a great app and something you can easily get at the Android Market for Free. It has more options than the stock. By following the instructions provided here, which again is also found on a link in the above post.

Direct Link for Fix:

Code

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=1239322&postcount=1
My HERO now actually sleeps when it supposed to

Good Luck and hit me up with any questions, thanks.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch

View los1223's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View los1223's Photo Album Add los1223's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

It's lame having to use a 3rd party SMS app. I just dealing with it for now hoping an update is quickly coming.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:03 PM
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN

I always used the default sms app and my battery lasts all day...
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
hero, htc, messaging, problem, sprint, text