VenumX VenumX is offline   Thread Starter  
The VenumX Factor
Mobile Model: HTC Touch PRO
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,192 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
SPRINT HTC Hero Rooted READ MORE

Hey guys,

So after many days of testing a bunch of shit on my hero, and going back and forth with zinxs amazing programming knowledge in #android-root we were finally able to get the Sprint Hero rooted! woohoo! Visit zinx's site below to download the latest version of the rooting software, its so easy!

Code

http://zenthought.org/content/project/flashrec
DO NOT FLASH ANY GSM ROMS TO YOUR PHONE

BE PATIENT AND WAIT FOR NEW CDMA ROMS TO COME OUT!

NEW TUTORIAL BY chuckhriczko OVER AT XDA ON HOW TO GET PERMA ROOT :P
follow this one, its a little complicated but it gives you root access to do whatever you wish

Default How to root the CDMA Hero
Ok everyone. First off do not update your phone if Sprint offers an upate. I don't think they are going to but if they do anytime soon and you update this exploit could likely be fixed. When updates are released the devs will make updates that keep root so do not update!

That said, this is a very newbie guide. This is meant for Windows but I will post instructions for linux as well (Ubuntu). I just need to warn you that I can't adb into my phone from Ubuntu so I have to do it through Windows. Don't know why it doesnt work but it doesnt. Mac users you can always (assuming you can get it to work in Ubuntu) download a live cd and boot into Ubuntu to try this. I don't have a mac (nor do I want one) so I can't give instructions (though I assume they should be relatively the same).

Step 1:
First you need to download the Android SDK. It may soumd confusing but it's not. There are tools in here that we need. You can get it from

Code

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
. This is a modular SDK and all the tools we need are in this download. Once downloaded you just need to extract it in a directory of choice.

The next thing we download is asroot2. This is a script that was developed that runs an exploit in Android's linux that allows us to run root. The link for that is here:

Code

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...2&d=1257621154
. Unzip that file and place it in a directory of your choice. Also download

Code

http://www.androidspin.com/downloads...roc-v1.2.3.img
and place that into the same directory you extracted asroot2.

Step 2:
Connect the phone to the USB port.

Ubuntu is easy for this (again assuming it works for you). Simply open a terminal and cd into the directory that you extracted the sdk into. Then cd into the tools directory. Then run the following commands:
sudo ./adb push /directory_you_placed_asroot2/asroot2 /data/local/
sudo ./adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
/data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/bin
cat sh > su
chmod 4755 su

If all goes well you should be presented with a new prompt. This is the linux terminal built into Android. This will allow us to execute all the commands we need to execute because the asroot2 script gave us root access.

In Windows it is a little more difficult. You have to first install the driver for the phone. When Windows asks you for the drivers direct Windows to the directory you extracted the SDK into. You should see a folder called usb_driver. If you are running the 32 bit version of Windows select the x86 folder. If you are using a 64 bit version then select the x64 folder. Then select the android_usb.inf file. This should install the drivers.

If running XP or lower you will need to go to the start menu and click run, then you enter cmd and press enter. If Vista or higher you will press the start button and type cmd and press enter. When you are at the command prompt you cd to the directory you extracted the sdk into. Then cd into the tools directory. Then execute the following commands:

adb push /directory_you_placed_asroot2/asroot2 /data/local/
adb shell
chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
cd /system/bin
cat sh > su
chmod 4755 su

Now your phone is officially rooted! We arent done yet though. Now you need to flash the recovery image. If you are still in adb shell type in exit until you are out. You should be in the directory where you extracted the recovery image. If not go there. Type in the following:

adb push recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img /sdcard/

Once that is done, type in adb shell (or sudo ./adb shell in ubuntu). If your command prompt is a dollar sign then type in su and press enter. If it is a pound sign you are good. Then type in the following:

adb shell flash_image recovery recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img

Once that is finished you are done. To reboot into recovery type in adb shell reboot recovery. You should reboot into recovery mode. Right now there is not a lot you can do but once we have some devs who make some roms then we will be well on our way to an even more awesome phone. Any questions please ask away. Also, I am sorry if this tutorial is hard to understand or badly laid out. My daughter is crawling all over me so it's hard to type or think. Good luck all and thanks to everyone who rooted this phone and made the recovery and did such a great job!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

originally posted here:

Code

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581577

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2009, 10:08 AM
OG Member
Mobile Model: Pixel 7 Pro
Mobile Carrier: Metro PCS
Mobile OS: Android

Thanked 10,859 Times in 2,859 Posts
Downloads: 26
Uploads: 152

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: SPRINT HTC Hero Rooted READ MORE

thanks buddy..now that 2.0 will be out soon to sprint...i take it that this method wont work....

Old 11-07-2009, 10:13 AM
The VenumX Factor

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re SPRINT HTC Hero Rooted READ MORE

“ Originally Posted by puertoblack2003 View Post

thanks buddy..now that 2.0 will be out soon to sprint...i take it that this method wont work....
i would not update to 2.0 if i was you...its built on a newer linux kernel which does not have the pipe.c exploit that he used to do this...what will happen is people will start making roms for the phone and someone will make a 2.0 rom that has root access built into the kernel so that you can just flash 2.0 with root access that way you dont have to worry about not being able to get access to the SU

Old 11-07-2009, 11:05 AM
OG Member

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

hey ven..I'm kinda having a noob moment..There's no detail instructions how how to do it.Ok i know how to install it.But is there anything else i need to know? or can you prepare a detail instruction here...

thanks

Old 11-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

congrats to the hero users! that actually came pretty quick overall considering it being tied down to a cdma carrier. but anyways cant see what this will bring to the hero and the battery drain issue.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:21 PM
The VenumX Factor

hey ven..I'm kinda having a noob moment..There's no detail instructions how how to do it.Ok i know how to install it.But is there anything else i need to know? or can you prepare a detail instruction here...

thanks
well right now its kinda useless, until we actually have a CDMA-based rom for the hero... but its cool for devs like me to have root access to the filesystem if you really wanna gain access to your root in terminal you will need to download the adb for android which is included in the SDK download...then you can download the following file:

Code

http://zenthought.org/tmp/asroot2
then in command prompt type:

adb push asroot2 /data/local/
then
adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
then
adb shell
then
/data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh -

and you will see a # which is your root terminal and you can go crazy with that if you want :P

Old 11-08-2009, 11:17 AM
The VenumX Factor

and new tutorial by chuck over at xda ... see first post, it enables SU in terminal and you have root access for running apps

Old 11-08-2009, 11:27 AM
OG Member

“ Originally Posted by VenumX View Post

well right now its kinda useless, until we actually have a CDMA-based rom for the hero... but its cool for devs like me to have root access to the filesystem if you really wanna gain access to your root in terminal you will need to download the adb for android which is included in the SDK download...then you can download the following file:

Code

http://zenthought.org/tmp/asroot2
then in command prompt type:

then
then
adb shell
then

and you will see a # which is your root terminal and you can go crazy with that if you want :P

and new tutorial by chuck over at xda ... see first post, it enables SU in terminal and you have root access for running apps

thanks ven, yea i was searching around for a cdma rom but i didn't find any but gsm over at cyanogen site.. i wonder if it possible to extract the apps from sprint because i have the sprint hero rom...and no justice...

Old 11-08-2009, 12:41 PM
The VenumX Factor

thanks ven, yea i was searching around for a cdma rom but i didn't find any but gsm over at cyanogen site.. i wonder if it possible to extract the apps from sprint because i have the sprint hero rom...and no justice...
ive already extracted the majority of the apps from sprint, everything that was built into the sprint rom can be located in /system/app

Old 11-08-2009, 01:01 PM
OG Member

Re: Re SPRINT HTC Hero Rooted READ MORE

ive already extracted the majority of the apps from sprint, everything that was built into the sprint rom can be located in /system/app

ok cool i see it now thanks

Old 11-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Supporter
Mobile Model: HTC Touch Pro/HERO

View forty01's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View forty01's Photo Album Add forty01's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

This is fantastic info. I rooted mine last night and after getting every possible issue or situation... I am now a master, lol , j/k, but I can assist if anyone is running into possible issues. Venum is going to be the master (programming, hacking, etc) in this situation, but I can handle my own as to getting around Still learning though... On a day to day basis.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Mobile Model: touch pro
Mobile OS: 6.1

View chauleyb's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View chauleyb's Photo Album Add chauleyb's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

is n e one goin to post a dummy video cuz i feel like one right bout now been tryna root all morning im not sure what im doin wrong i get up right to this part..........adb push asroot2 /data/local/
then
then
adb shell
then

and its sayin chmod cant b found
Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Supporter

View forty01's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View forty01's Photo Album Add forty01's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re Re SPRINT HTC Hero Rooted READ MORE

“ Originally Posted by chauleyb View Post

is n e one goin to post a dummy video cuz i feel like one right bout now been tryna root all morning im not sure what im doin wrong i get up right to this part..........adb push asroot2 /data/local/
then
then
adb shell
then

and its sayin chmod cant b found

directory_you_placed_asroot2 (from above) = make sure you enter the directory you placed the asroot2 into

for example: I had c:\AR where I DL'd mine 2

So it should look like this:
adb push c:\AR/asroot2 /data/local/

...then continue with the commands as it's showing you above.
Good Luck

Old 11-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Hero, TP2, TOUR
Mobile Carrier: sprint
Mobile OS: 5.0

View iTouch24's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iTouch24's Photo Album Add iTouch24's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Code

http://theunlockr.com/2009/11/07/how-to-root-your-cdma-htc-hero-sprint-verizon/

How To: Root Your CDMA HTC Hero (Sprint/Verizon)

Posted on: November 7, 2009

Posted in: Android How To's, Featured, HTC Hero/G2, How To's, Video

Embed This Video

^Video Coming Soon^

Finally there is root access for the Sprint Hero! Here is a quick How To for everyone.

Thanks Geoff!
Thanks XDA-Developers (as always!)!
Thanks JManley69 for brining the procedure from Sprint Community!
Thanks Sprint Community!
I. Before You Begin

You need to be able to access the phone via ADB.

Follow this procedure to get ADB setup on your Hero.
How To Setup ADB/Install USB Drivers
II. Root the CDMA Hero

1. Download the following file and then unzip it.

AsRoot2

2. Take the unzipped file and save it into the Tools folder of your AndroidSDK.

3. Plug your phone in via USB and do NOT mount the SD card.

4. Open the Command Prompt and type the following (hitting enter at the end of every line):

cd\
cd AndroidSDK\Tools\
adb devices

And make sure your phones’s serial number pops up (if not redo section I).

5. Then type:

adb shell

6. Then type:

cd /system/bin
cat sh > su
chmod 4775 su

All Done! You now have root access! Try to download a root program from the Market and see if it works

ANYONE WANT TO TEST THIS METHOD ON THE DROID ERIS AND THE CLIQ? Dont see why it wouldnt work identically

Post if it works! Thanks!

Reported Issues:

Issue: I get a read only error…

Solution: Try using the Android SDK 1.5 instead of the 1.6 SDK (suggested by Joe)

--------- New Post Merged on 9/11/2009 at 1033 --------

Code

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581846
here is the first CDMA ROM i found !
Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 PM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Re SPRINT HTC Hero Rooted READ MORE

“ Originally Posted by iTouch24 View Post

Code

http://theunlockr.com/2009/11/07/how-to-root-your-cdma-htc-hero-sprint-verizon/

Posted on: November 7, 2009

Posted in: Android How To's, Featured, HTC Hero/G2, How To's, Video

Embed This Video

^Video Coming Soon^

Finally there is root access for the Sprint Hero! Here is a quick How To for everyone.

Thanks Geoff!
Thanks XDA-Developers (as always!)!
Thanks JManley69 for brining the procedure from Sprint Community!
Thanks Sprint Community!
I. Before You Begin

You need to be able to access the phone via ADB.

Follow this procedure to get ADB setup on your Hero.
How To Setup ADB/Install USB Drivers
II. Root the CDMA Hero

1. Download the following file and then unzip it.

AsRoot2

2. Take the unzipped file and save it into the Tools folder of your AndroidSDK.

3. Plug your phone in via USB and do NOT mount the SD card.

4. Open the Command Prompt and type the following (hitting enter at the end of every line):

cd\
cd AndroidSDK\Tools\
adb devices

And make sure your phones’s serial number pops up (if not redo section I).

5. Then type:

adb shell

6. Then type:

cd /system/bin
cat sh > su
chmod 4775 su

All Done! You now have root access! Try to download a root program from the Market and see if it works

ANYONE WANT TO TEST THIS METHOD ON THE DROID ERIS AND THE CLIQ? Dont see why it wouldnt work identically

Post if it works! Thanks!

Reported Issues:

Issue: I get a read only error…

Solution: Try using the Android SDK 1.5 instead of the 1.6 SDK (suggested by Joe)

--------- New Post Merged on 9/11/2009 at 1033 --------

Code

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581846
here is the first CDMA ROM i found !
sweet i wil lfor sure try on my droid when cnet gets it my way!! woot woot if you here about tis working on the droid or not please comment in this thread.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:02 AM

View chauleyb's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View chauleyb's Photo Album Add chauleyb's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re Re Re SPRINT HTC Hero Rooted READ MORE

“ Originally Posted by forty01 View Post

directory_you_placed_asroot2 (from above) = make sure you enter the directory you placed the asroot2 into

for example: I had c:\AR where I DL'd mine 2

So it should look like this:
adb push c:\AR/asroot2 /data/local/

...then continue with the commands as it's showing you above.
Good Luck
koo thanx bro but i got that far now im on the last command (flash recovery ect ect....) its sayin error tryin to open recovery-RA-ect ect..... any suggestions n e one
Old 11-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Supporter

Re Re Re Re SPRINT HTC Hero Rooted READ MORE

koo thanx bro but i got that far now im on the last command (flash recovery ect ect....) its sayin error tryin to open recovery-RA-ect ect..... any suggestions n e one
If you are in SU mode, meaning you see the #, then:
flash_image recovery recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img

do not add the adb shell, just:

That should get you past that part.
Good Luck and let us know.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:37 AM

Re Re Re Re Re SPRINT HTC Hero Rooted READ MORE

If you are in SU mode, meaning you see the #, then:

do not add the adb shell, just:

That should get you past that part.
Good Luck and let us know.
yup did that countless times bro still sayin error trying to open....ect......no such file or directory found .........man this sucks......lol
Old 11-11-2009, 01:37 PM
The VenumX Factor

Re Re Re Re Re Re SPRINT HTC Hero Rooted READ MORE

yup did that countless times bro still sayin error trying to open....ect......no such file or directory found .........man this sucks......lol
well if you pushed the img to your sd card then it wouldnt be

Code

unles you are in the sdcard directory...so try this instead...

Code

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img

Old 11-12-2009, 04:59 AM

Re Re Re Re Re Re Re SPRINT HTC Hero Rooted READ MORE

well if you pushed the img to your sd card then it wouldnt be

Code

unles you are in the sdcard directory...so try this instead...

Code

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img
ok i wanna thank forty01 and venum for there help and input.....after messin around with cmd and searching threads non-stop i finally have my hero rooted fully after i pushed the recovery to the sdcard i had enter the following

$ adb shell
$ cd /sdcard/
$ su

then i entered the command venum gave..flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img.....thanx alot guys now to partitioning my sd card to put apps on it.....hope its easier than rooting lol
Old 11-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Supporter

Re Re Re Re Re Re Re Re SPRINT HTC Hero Rooted READ MORE

ok i wanna thank forty01 and venum for there help and input.....after messin around with cmd and searching threads non-stop i finally have my hero rooted fully after i pushed the recovery to the sdcard i had enter the following

$ adb shell
$ cd /sdcard/
$ su

then i entered the command venum gave..flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img.....thanx alot guys now to partitioning my sd card to put apps on it.....hope its easier than rooting lol
It's not, lol
I've been seeing a lot of issues with App2SD and the WiFi Tether has been an issue using the Stock ROM.
Actually, If you flash Modaco's Sprint Hero Rom, then it probably won't be an issue, but I have seen been reading about a lot or Mem Cards getting the axe. I haven't played with that in a day or two, but Venum might be able to elaborate on what the situation is or if he's already accomplished it w/o probs.
Good Luck.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:17 AM

Re Re Re Re Re Re Re Re Re SPRINT HTC Hero Rooted READ MORE

It's not, lol
I've been seeing a lot of issues with App2SD and the WiFi Tether has been an issue using the Stock ROM.
Actually, If you flash Modaco's Sprint Hero Rom, then it probably won't be an issue, but I have seen been reading about a lot or Mem Cards getting the axe. I haven't played with that in a day or two, but Venum might be able to elaborate on what the situation is or if he's already accomplished it w/o probs.
Good Luck.
dang will i ever be able to see the light dang lol well good lookin bro i guess i wait in venum unless partitioning the sdcard is the same for every phone lol man i see ill be doing more research dang
Old 11-15-2009, 12:31 AM

ok fam i found a couple of threads showing how to partition an sdcard to get apps to sd but they r using da uk heroes does and know if its the same for usa heroes like does one method fit all??? thanks in advanced
Old 11-28-2009, 05:27 PM

View iTouch24's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iTouch24's Photo Album Add iTouch24's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

i will be honest .. i didn tread all the threads out there on the rooting experience... but i heave read that it makes the overall speed of the device quicker .. so i might have to jump into this ... but i installed the firmware update from sprint that was recently released ... are the steps above still valid if u updated your firmware with sprint?

I have read ya .. but u cant always believe what u read ... haha

and i am not sure if the instructions change
Old 11-29-2009, 12:57 PM

“ Originally Posted by iTouch24 View Post

i will be honest .. i didn tread all the threads out there on the rooting experience... but i heave read that it makes the overall speed of the device quicker .. so i might have to jump into this ... but i installed the firmware update from sprint that was recently released ... are the steps above still valid if u updated your firmware with sprint?

I have read ya .. but u cant always believe what u read ... haha

and i am not sure if the instructions change
i dont personally have one but they should be the same since it is still the same firmware version just some patches added to fix some things.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Supporter

It's so worth it and the Fresh ROM is my fav thus far and they are always keeping it updated. Good Luck.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:57 PM

This is fantastic info. I rooted mine last night and after getting every possible issue or situation... I am now a master, lol , j/k, but I can assist if anyone is running into possible issues. Venum is going to be the master (programming, hacking, etc) in this situation, but I can handle my own as to getting around Still learning though... On a day to day basis.

Code

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=5066751&postcount=95
hey bud ... can u provide some assistance for me on rooting

--------- New Post Merged on 3/12/2009 at 1012 --------

$ adb shell
$ cd /sdcard/
$ su

is this actually correct?
or it should be:

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# cd /sdcard/
cd /sdcard/
# flash_image recovery recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img
# reboot recovery
reboot recovery

u are changing to sdcard then typing SU to get to # prompt
which one is correct?

--------- New Post Merged on 3/12/2009 at 1045 --------

i did this on the phone itself under terminal:
$ su
#cd /sdcard/
#flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v.1.2.3.img
#

after i hit enter i get the # right away ... as if it takes no time to load ...
and when i reboot .. just gets stuck on HTC logo on black screen
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
hero, htc, read, rooted, sprint