Post New ThreadClosed Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Sillysanders Sillysanders is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: Htc Touch
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View Sillysanders's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Sillysanders's Photo Album Add Sillysanders's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
[ ISSUE SOLVED ] What is a Rom

hello i am a noob. and i want to hook up my phone. i just want to know what is a rom and what do they do? do they mess up your phone at all?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sillysanders For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 PM
SPJ FREAKSTER!
Mobile Model: PRO&DIAMOND!!
Mobile Carrier: Rev a speeeeeddddddd

Thanked 1,139 Times in 584 Posts

View 1mrlcb's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View 1mrlcb's Photo Album Add 1mrlcb's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: What is a Rom

No they do not mess up your phone its somthing that makes your phone much faster and responsive and it takes all that bloatware out thats put in by carriers but look in my sig and you will find everything you need for roms

Old 01-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

a rom is like an operating system on your pc like vista or xp.... some versions are better than others and some worse...... custom are like the top end and the ones that come on it are the low ends.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2009, 03:16 AM
Mobile Model: touch diamond
Mobile Carrier: t-mobile

View andyboro's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View andyboro's Photo Album Add andyboro's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

This is probably a proper noob question but id rather ask than not know..

are roms carrier specific (i.e do i need one t-mobile specific in order for everything to work properly?)..

even as i read that i think its a dumb question that i can already answer but id rather check than turn my new diamond into an expensive paperweight lol.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:58 AM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch & Pro!!

Thanked 4,891 Times in 1,440 Posts

View crazaytalent's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View crazaytalent's Photo Album Add crazaytalent's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by andyboro View Post

are roms carrier specific (i.e do i need one t-mobile specific in order for everything to work properly?)..

even as i read that i think its a dumb question that i can already answer but id rather check than turn my new diamond into an expensive paperweight lol.
Good question... the answer to that is no... and yes, in general roms are more so device specific, but they are also carrier specific, in the sense that they need to be customized (with network specific info/coding) to work properly with whatever network your on.

(that's why stock roms will pretty much be very similar to other network roms while still having thier own promotional bloatware running all through it)

So... when it comes to custom roms, they are not always carrier specific, because a chef (person who cooks the rom up), may not customize their rom to cater to every network, so instead they may make a generic rom that runs on a specific device that may be carried by more than one network, in which case, you may have to find a specific carrier cab (which will contain the network info your rom needs to work on that network) and install it yourself, or may simply need to skip certain customizations after a flash, whatever the step(s) you need to take to make it run or ur network will generally be posted within that release thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crazaytalent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Mobile Model: Touch Prizo!!!
Mobile Carrier: sprint

Thanked 7,924 Times in 2,668 Posts

View Superman369's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Superman369's Photo Album Add Superman369's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Wow, this is now the third time I have found you askin this question in deffernet threads. We need time to answer you, if you keep crapin threads with the same redundant question, infractions will be issued. I understand that your anxious to customize your phone, but you have to be patient.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 PM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

you have to use it for the device stated in the thread and for the type. (gsm like you or cdma which all are here) you can come to us for all your apps and support needs and use xda-developers for your roms.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Mobile Model: touch diamond
Mobile Carrier: t-mobile

View andyboro's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View andyboro's Photo Album Add andyboro's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by Superman369 View Post

Wow, this is now the third time I have found you askin this question in deffernet threads. We need time to answer you, if you keep crapin threads with the same redundant question, infractions will be issued. I understand that your anxious to customize your phone, but you have to be patient.
wow.. 3 times? really? i didnt actually realise id posted it that many times!

Im quite a regular poster on a lot of forums for a few subject (and im admin/mod on a couple too) so im definitely not here to be a pain for you guys...

apologies for my eh-hem over eagerness
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andyboro For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch Pro

View rjb9184's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View rjb9184's Photo Album Add rjb9184's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

how do i flash a rom?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:29 PM
OG Member
Mobile Model: Pixel 7 Pro
Mobile Carrier: Metro PCS
Mobile OS: Android

Thanked 10,859 Times in 2,859 Posts
Downloads: 26
Uploads: 152

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by rjb9184 View Post

how do i flash a rom?

by going to the tutorial section all info is there

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puertoblack2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2009, 12:03 AM

“ Originally Posted by puertoblack2003 View Post

by going to the tutorial section all info is there
yup and he can also use the search and he would of found, could have looked in mine or about 10 other signatures for direct links.... read some rom threads and would have found the answer lmao....... many opps to find the answer there lmao.... good luck with the flashing though buddy
The Following User Says Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Nickel Nickel NINE
Mobile Model: HTC DIAMOND
Mobile Carrier: sprint

Thanked 4,383 Times in 1,330 Posts

View TaylorSPJ's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View TaylorSPJ's Photo Album Add TaylorSPJ's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

yup and he can also use the search and he would of found, could have looked in mine or about 10 other signatures for direct links.... read some rom threads and would have found the answer lmao....... many opps to find the answer there lmao.... good luck with the flashing though buddy
I went ahead and marked as solved.......if he has any other questions he can ask in the appropriate sections.....

The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorSPJ For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadClosed Thread

Tags
issue, noob, noobie, rom, solved