Old 01-16-2008, 03:05 PM
iamdasht19 iamdasht19 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Sprint to roll out limited WiMAX network this week

Sprint to roll out limited WiMAX network this week
We’ve been whining about Sprint’s seeming lack of focus on its WiMAX (XOHM) network, and all that complaining may have paid off. Actually, our incessant goading probably had little nothing to do with Sprint’s newest announcement, but it’s nice to think we had some sort of influence.

Sprint’s WiMAX network is slated to go live this week in a limited trial-run. The 4G (well, it’s officially a 3G standard, but we think it qualifies as 4G) WiMAX network will be rolled out this week for Sprint employees only - in an effort to get its network ready for prime-time trials in Q1 of 2008. As it stands, Sprint will be flipping the WiMAX-switch on the downtown centers of Chicago, Baltimore and Washington - expanding to other US cities based on wireless data demand. Clearwire is out of the picture, but we’re assuming that Sprint’s leaving the door open to other investors to help with the nationwide network launch.

The trial-run launch of Sprint’s WiMAX network this week barely makes the carrier’s self-imposed deadline for the launch of its 4G network by year’s end. We’ve heard rumor after rumor that put the entire WiMAX venture in doubt, so it’s good to see that Sprint is still committed to bringing their mobile broadband 4G network online in-time for a 2008 commercial roll-out. The full commercial launch should cement Sprint’s position as the premier high-speed wireless data provider in the States - Verizon and AT&T’s LTE network won’t even see the light of day until 2009. All your financial woes may take a turn for the better, Sprint. Keep on keepin’ on!
I don't know why nobody seems to be excited about this.

WiMAX is basically Wi-Fi but with a much longer range. It is capable of speeds that exceed 802.11G

Let me say that again... THIS IS BASICALLY AN 802.11G HOTSPOT THAT FOLLOWS YOU AROUND! The speed is only limited by what Sprint is willing to provide. I have 15Mbps FiOS and WiMAX is 5 times faster than that!!

Not only that, but it's actually cheaper for them to run/maintain, so it is expected to be CHEAPER than PowerVision.

Now, why isn't anybody excited about this?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:14 PM
OG Member
Mobile Model: Pixel 7 Pro
Mobile Carrier: Metro PCS
Mobile OS: Android

Thanked 10,859 Times in 2,859 Posts
Downloads: 26
Uploads: 152

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Sprint to roll out limited WiMAX network this week

nice post that will be hot i can use my phone to connect my lappy

Old 01-16-2008, 03:24 PM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by puertoblack2003 View Post

nice post that will be hot i can use my phone to connect my lappy
yeah thats what im saying your phone is also like a second lappy lol
Old 01-16-2008, 04:00 PM
The VenumX Factor
Mobile Model: HTC Touch PRO
Mobile Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,192 Posts

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

mmmm wimax cant wait for the samsung m800 to launch with wimax

Old 01-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Mobile Model: lg samsung

View Yungmelo's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Yungmelo's Photo Album Add Yungmelo's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Do we still have to pay for the internet
Old 01-17-2008, 01:20 PM

yes it will be the same that you have right now data package wise and all with the data package but it will be like having a wifi router around you at all times for your phone....
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
limited, network, roll, sprint, week, wimax