Post New ThreadReply

Old 01-01-2002, 08:57 AM
mrpants20 mrpants20 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: Touch & Touch PRO
Mobile Carrier: The Now Network
Mobile OS: 6.5

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View mrpants20's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View mrpants20's Photo Album Add mrpants20's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
ISP warning me... copyright violations

My ISP sent me a letter saying they received a DMCA (Digital Millenium Copy Act) complaint of copyright violation(s) on their network and they tracked it back to my house saying I (or someone using my connection) downloaded "The Dark Knight".... Kinda got me worried

I've never heard of warning like this happening outside of a college dorm internet network.. If someone was downloading that stuff using torrents or whatever, how do they conceal it? I know there are a lot people doing that stuff without having any issues, so how do they never get tracked or anything?

Old 12-12-2008, 03:23 PM

View mrpants20's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View mrpants20's Photo Album Add mrpants20's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: ISP warning me copyright violations

I posted this during the update so it shows this was posted almost 7 years ago so.......

Old 12-12-2008, 03:38 PM
OG Member
Mobile Model: Pixel 7 Pro
Mobile Carrier: Metro PCS
Mobile OS: Android

Thanked 10,859 Times in 2,859 Posts
Downloads: 26
Uploads: 152

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by mrpants20 View Post

I posted this during the update so it shows this was posted almost 7 years ago so.......
lol i have to update thread and thats a task I'll leave later tonight...But as far as the DMCA they must have tracked your ip address and they are targeting those that downloaded pirated stuff from torrents sites..You can challenge it the worst thing that can happen is suspended your internet services.If they see a rash of downloads.Someone must have complained about it and reported it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to puertoblack2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch & Pro!!
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 4,891 Times in 1,440 Posts

View crazaytalent's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View crazaytalent's Photo Album Add crazaytalent's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

ouch dude that suck, keeps us posted if anymore developments, i for one would like to avoid any such happenings, so maybe your post on this matter will continue to help...

thanks for sharing
Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Mobile Model: Touch Pro Chrome

View drdrewdown's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View drdrewdown's Photo Album Add drdrewdown's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

torrent & gnutella are the two most likely ways to get caught. they are usually un-encrypted connections which make them vulernable. there are alot of people who get these letters. in most cases the ISP will contact you when they are able to prove you had a certain ip address at the time of the infraction. the general rule for ISP's is 3 strikes & you're out. meaning they will cancel your service on the 3rd infraction. at this point you are a liability to them b/c they can be subpeona'd by the Feds to see logs & nobody wants the FBI knocking on your door even if you are 100% legit. So they try to avoid this & just cut you off after the 3rd time. thats just a general rule, i'm sure it will vary from ISP to ISP.

the best way to avoid this is to not be a l33chwh0r3 from torrents you find on google. even demonoid has many "agents" working to stop the copyright infringements. torrents as a general rule are a bad idea. you have no idea the source & the worst part you are uploading while downloading.

personally i'd rather leech from a SSL usenet server or find someone who's in the "know" & join their private network. ssl usenet will cost you a monthly fee, but losing your internet service is worse imo lol. a private network would be the best since hey, it's private! & probably doesn't have a buncha virus infected BS or incorrectly named media.

ok i'm done. sorry to have rambled

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to drdrewdown For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Mobile Model: Touch Prizo!!!
Mobile Carrier: sprint

Thanked 7,924 Times in 2,668 Posts

View Superman369's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Superman369's Photo Album Add Superman369's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by drdrewdown View Post

torrent & gnutella are the two most likely ways to get caught. they are usually un-encrypted connections which make them vulernable. there are alot of people who get these letters. in most cases the ISP will contact you when they are able to prove you had a certain ip address at the time of the infraction. the general rule for ISP's is 3 strikes & you're out. meaning they will cancel your service on the 3rd infraction. at this point you are a liability to them b/c they can be subpeona'd by the Feds to see logs & nobody wants the FBI knocking on your door even if you are 100% legit. So they try to avoid this & just cut you off after the 3rd time. thats just a general rule, i'm sure it will vary from ISP to ISP.

the best way to avoid this is to not be a l33chwh0r3 from torrents you find on google. even demonoid has many "agents" working to stop the copyright infringements. torrents as a general rule are a bad idea. you have no idea the source & the worst part you are uploading while downloading.

personally i'd rather leech from a SSL usenet server or find someone who's in the "know" & join their private network. ssl usenet will cost you a monthly fee, but losing your internet service is worse imo lol. a private network would be the best since hey, it's private! & probably doesn't have a buncha virus infected BS or incorrectly named media.

ok i'm done. sorry to have rambled
I agree. I use newsleecher and newsrazor.net. Costs 15 bucks a month, but worth it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Superman369 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch & Pro!!

Thanked 4,891 Times in 1,440 Posts

View crazaytalent's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View crazaytalent's Photo Album Add crazaytalent's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

thanks fella's this is good to know useful stuff!
The Following User Says Thank You to crazaytalent For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Mobile Model: Htc Touch Pro 1 & 2
Mobile Carrier: Kaos
Mobile OS: 7.0

Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,164 Posts
Uploads: 1

View kaos's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View kaos's Photo Album Add kaos's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

hahahahha... never been caught...but then again im in the "know" lol... rapidshare... and demonoid is all i use...But when on demonoid i use a proxy...so i bounce all over the world... google tor... very good plug in for firefox.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kaos For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by kaos View Post

hahahahha... never been caught...but then again im in the "know" lol... rapidshare... and demonoid is all i use...But when on demonoid i use a proxy...so i bounce all over the world... google tor... very good plug in for firefox.
same here kaos :> and havent been caught once and i cant tell you how many terabytes of stuff i have downloaded in the past months either.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:01 PM

Is this what you are talking about?

Code

http://www.torproject.org/
(I hope I linked this correctly under the new rule, sorry if no)

Assuming its safe to download (malware wise)

The Following User Says Thank You to mrpants20 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Mobile Model: Touch Pro Chrome

View drdrewdown's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View drdrewdown's Photo Album Add drdrewdown's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Is this what you are talking about?

Code

http://www.torproject.org/
(I hope I linked this correctly under the new rule, sorry if no)

Assuming its safe to download (malware wise)
yes, he is referring to the firefox extension.

Tor Browser Bundle for Windows (Contains Tor, Vidalia, Torbutton, Polipo, and Firefox)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drdrewdown For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2008, 08:20 AM

Anyone that has been following this thread and is unfamiliar with Tor, I found a cnet video that explains how it basically works....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG_xhdnsO0s

Code

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG_xhdnsO0s
Link since video isn't loading correctly for me

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrpants20 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Mobile Model: Touch Prizo!!!
Mobile Carrier: sprint

Thanked 7,924 Times in 2,668 Posts

View Superman369's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Superman369's Photo Album Add Superman369's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

cool cool, thanks.

--------- New Post Merged on 14/12/2008 at 0557 --------

Here ya go

[YOUTUBE_BROWSER][/YOUTUBE_BROWSER]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superman369 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2008, 08:54 AM

When I attempt to download anything while using Tor it changes the IP before it finishes and the download does not complete or never starts in the first place... Anyone know how I can stop it from doing that, or point me in the direction of a proxy site to use that will let me finish first?

TY

Old 12-19-2008, 07:15 PM

When I attempt to download anything while using Tor it changes the IP before it finishes and the download does not complete or never starts in the first place... Anyone know how I can stop it from doing that, or point me in the direction of a proxy site to use with rapidshare that will let me finish first?

TY
.................................................. ...

Old 12-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch Pro

View ActionPlyr's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ActionPlyr's Photo Album Add ActionPlyr's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

To block my IP I have used a freeware program called PeerGuardian 2.0 where you can find it for free and download it at download. com. I tried posting the link but since I'm new, it wouldn't let me.

I've been using Peer Guardian for quite some time now and it has kept me safe ::knock on wood::
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionPlyr For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
copyright, isp, violations, warning