Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM
iamdasht19 iamdasht19 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
GPS Enabled Sprint Touch

GPS Enabled Touch
Take a look at this link it is from the business site. I don't know why it is not on the consumer site. It states View your approximate location and use available applications to navigate roadways throughout the country. (will not be available until Q1 2008 upgrade this is great news meaning that we are going to have GPS on the vogue which everyone said wouldn't happen and they weren't going to upgrade for that reason

https://shopbiz.sprint.com/popup_pro...&bundleID=2256
Old 11-15-2007, 11:00 PM
The VenumX Factor
Mobile Model: HTC Touch PRO
Mobile Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,192 Posts

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: GPS Enabled Sprint Touch

Yes, to the best of my knowledge upon the upgrade to Rev A, not only will the data be able to transfer fast enough to get a approximation of your position, but your data speeds should significantly increase! What is Rev A? Currently Sprints EVDO network is running at what is referred to as Rev 0, which is sprints fastest internet speeds to date. Upon the upgrade to Rev A, download speeds will increase 25%, but the key here is that the upload speeds increase a whopping 800% over current, thus allowing faster uploading of information creating more opportunity for a GPS feature. This is all great, but I still recommend using a bluetooth GPS receiver which you can find now on ebay, moderately priced (I see one for $35 USD right now). Bluetooth GPS receivers are cool because they use satellites, so you lose coverage...you still have your GPS coverage. These receivers can be used in conjunction with many different free applications for turn by turn directions as well, I know for sure Google Maps and Windows Live work with these set up as a com port. Maybe I will make a tutorial on how to set up a bluetooth gps receiver as a com port and use it for turn by turn directions in Google Maps.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:07 PM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Thanks for the insight bro.. i saw this and it was on the business page not sprints main page so i wasn't sure and all if it was all true i cant wait for this to come out lol ...
Old 01-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Mobile Model: treo 700p

View mdd770's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View mdd770's Photo Album Add mdd770's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

question: is the upgrade automatic, or is it a completely new version of the touch phone? thanks.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:15 AM

“ Originally Posted by mdd770 View Post

question: is the upgrade automatic, or is it a completely new version of the touch phone? thanks.
its called a REV A rom upgrade..... you flash the rom on your phone and it will make it GPS enabled and also fix a few other bugs at the same time... [the word also is that they might make it so fit also updates to windows mobile 6.1 since windows mobile 7 is already in production
Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 AM

View mdd770's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View mdd770's Photo Album Add mdd770's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

its called a REV A rom upgrade..... you flash the rom on your phone and it will make it GPS enabled and also fix a few other bugs at the same time... [the word also is that they might make it so fit also updates to windows mobile 6.1 since windows mobile 7 is already in production

How do you "flash the rom" on your phone?

If I buy one of these phones now, what do I do to get the revison a upgrade? Or am I better off waiting to get it after the upgrade comes out and keep asking clueless sprint workers when the upgrade is coming.

I dont understand. thx.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:05 PM

If I buy one of these phones now, what do I do to get the revison a upgrade? Or am I better off waiting to get it after the upgrade comes out and keep asking clueless sprint workers when the upgrade is coming.

I dont understand. thx.

wow if you did a quick search you would have found the answer to one of your questions at least. so please do that in the future. Thanks.

1. the REV A upgrade which enables the GPS and the faster speeds for uploading and downloading on the net will be released Early Q1 2008 which for Sprint is either janurary or feburary... thats all the info we have sometime in those months.

2. to flash the rom you will download an exe file to your computer. than all you have to do is just hook your phone up with the usb to activesync for XP users or Windows Mobile Device Center for you Vista users. once connected double click the exe icon on your desktop and follow the steps. really noob friendly just folllow the steps and you are done.

3. and sprint wont give you the real date and dotn know nothing about these phoens besides the little that they are told. for example they are told what the website sasy about the rom upgrade and that is the early Q1 update and thats all they know some dont even know what the REV A updates so i wouldnt recommend sprint rvrn if you were to call and talk to them since all they would do is give you bullshit answers to make you happy and to get off the phone with them.

4. hope this helps you some on the understanding and if not feel free to ask the question in this thread if it pertains to this topic. Thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 02:45 PM

wow if you did a quick search you would have found the answer to one of your questions at least. so please do that in the future. Thanks.

1. the REV A upgrade which enables the GPS and the faster speeds for uploading and downloading on the net will be released Early Q1 2008 which for Sprint is either janurary or feburary... thats all the info we have sometime in those months.

2. to flash the rom you will download an exe file to your computer. than all you have to do is just hook your phone up with the usb to activesync for XP users or Windows Mobile Device Center for you Vista users. once connected double click the exe icon on your desktop and follow the steps. really noob friendly just folllow the steps and you are done.

3. and sprint wont give you the real date and dotn know nothing about these phoens besides the little that they are told. for example they are told what the website sasy about the rom upgrade and that is the early Q1 update and thats all they know some dont even know what the REV A updates so i wouldnt recommend sprint rvrn if you were to call and talk to them since all they would do is give you bullshit answers to make you happy and to get off the phone with them.

4. hope this helps you some on the understanding and if not feel free to ask the question in this thread if it pertains to this topic. Thanks

Ok didnt know it was elsewhere on the board.
It looks like you guys run your board more strictly than my work one which is almost identical. Understandable that you dont want to answer the same things all the time.
But a few more on-topic questions now that you have said a few things..
1. how does one know when REV A is out and avail? Your site of course, but how else?
2. where do you get the exe file from/ where is it located?
3. does the file come from sprint, or someone else?
4. i assume active sync or mobile device center comes with windows or the phone right?
sorry, I have never used it.
5. will the gps be an install application program, or where will you find the gps screen?
looking forward to faster download speeds and getting the touch phone and modifying it, especially the keyboard for texting! you guys are amazing and I really have enjoyed seeing the videos. keep up the good work. you all need to go to work for the cell companies to make phones that do what we want, that work better and make sense!
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:23 PM

Ok didnt know it was elsewhere on the board.
It looks like you guys run your board more strictly than my work one which is almost identical. Understandable that you dont want to answer the same things all the time.
But a few more on-topic questions now that you have said a few things..
1. how does one know when REV A is out and avail? Your site of course, but how else?
2. where do you get the exe file from/ where is it located?
3. does the file come from sprint, or someone else?
4. i assume active sync or mobile device center comes with windows or the phone right?
sorry, I have never used it.
5. will the gps be an install application program, or where will you find the gps screen?
looking forward to faster download speeds and getting the touch phone and modifying it, especially the keyboard for texting! you guys are amazing and I really have enjoyed seeing the videos. keep up the good work. you all need to go to work for the cell companies to make phones that do what we want, that work better and make sense!
Thanks in advance.
1. on this site here and th eofficial htc website search google for htc website and you will find it.
2. it will be uploaded here and also on the htc website.
3. sprint and htc make the roms.... and we also get some made by users but those are different this one will be made by sprint.
4. you need it to put anything aftermarket on your phone like apps or games or anything else for that matter came on the disk or you can get it from www.microsoft.com for free.
5. you will need to download one of the cracked apps on the site like tom tom or garmin,or one of the other dofferent 100 gps apps that we have listed......
Old 01-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Mobile Model: Sprint HTC Touch

View jethro_static's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View jethro_static's Photo Album Add jethro_static's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I dont understand. thx.
You have to be very careful when you are flashing the ROM. You must know exactly what you are doing. Flashing the ROM basically means that you are rewriting the program that is embedded on the chip. If you loose power to your PC or your phone while flashing, you will brick your phone. It may be unusable because the program that you are trying to install in the ROM is is not completed. You may not be able to connect to your phone again. As long as you can connect to your phone, You can still re-flash it.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:28 PM

“ Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post

You have to be very careful when you are flashing the ROM. You must know exactly what you are doing. Flashing the ROM basically means that you are rewriting the program that is embedded on the chip. If you loose power to your PC or your phone while flashing, you will brick your phone. It may be unusable because the program that you are trying to install in the ROM is is not completed. You may not be able to connect to your phone again. As long as you can connect to your phone, You can still re-flash it.
yes that os correct easy to do but as he said be very careful.... i plug mine in let it do its thing and than leave so i dont disconnect by accident or pull out the usb by accident. it takes round 10-20 minutes to do
Old 01-17-2008, 06:23 PM

ok, forget that. im not doing it!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Mobile Model: Sprint HTC Touch

View jethro_static's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View jethro_static's Photo Album Add jethro_static's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

ok, forget that. im not doing it!
That is why dash is offering to send him your phone and he will do customs and upgrades for a small fee. Or you can send it to me for a smaller fee if you like. LL JK.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 PM

“ Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post

That is why dash is offering to send him your phone and he will do customs and upgrades for a small fee. Or you can send it to me for a smaller fee if you like. LL JK.
lol word i can do that for you and install anything that you would like on it no matter what it is for the fee mentioned. it is a stick thread in each the touch and the mogul forums called let D/\SH Mod it for you.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Mobile Model: touch

View frezin77's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View frezin77's Photo Album Add frezin77's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Knowing that I will probably brick my phone, will a Sprint service tech complete this Flash?
Old 02-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Mobile Model: Htc Touch Pro 1 & 2
Mobile Carrier: Kaos
Mobile OS: 7.0

Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,164 Posts
Uploads: 1

View kaos's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View kaos's Photo Album Add kaos's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

no a sprint service tech wont touch your touch unless its flashing a stock rom.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:09 PM
The VenumX Factor
Mobile Model: HTC Touch PRO
Mobile Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,192 Posts

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

if you brick your phone and have tep they will swap it out.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch (Okta)

View MattOktaNZ's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View MattOktaNZ's Photo Album Add MattOktaNZ's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

What does the Sprint touch manual say about GPS?

With my Touch CDMA it says:

Connections
I/O Port
HTC ExtUSBâ„¢ : 11-pin mini-USB and audio jack in one
Full-speed USB 2.0
HTC H2Wire support
(ExtUSB is a proprietary connection interface that is trademarked by HTC.)
Wireless Connections
Bluetooth 2.0
External Antenna Connector
For connecting to an external phone antenna
GPS
Internal GPS antenna
Old 03-02-2008, 05:54 PM

“ Originally Posted by MattOktaNZ View Post

What does the Sprint touch manual say about GPS?

With my Touch CDMA it says:

Connections
I/O Port
HTC ExtUSBâ„¢ : 11-pin mini-USB and audio jack in one
Full-speed USB 2.0
HTC H2Wire support
(ExtUSB is a proprietary connection interface that is trademarked by HTC.)
Wireless Connections
Bluetooth 2.0
External Antenna Connector
For connecting to an external phone antenna
GPS
Internal GPS antenna
please use the search feature before bring this up since it has been discussed to death. the mogul had the same thing and we inpatiently waited for the rev a rom to enable the internal gps antenna. (and still not officially released but we got it workig great through 6.1) the touch will need the same enabled by the rev a rom update for the touch. when this is release the members at SPJ will be the first to know. Thanks
Old 03-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch (Okta)

View MattOktaNZ's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View MattOktaNZ's Photo Album Add MattOktaNZ's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

please use the search feature before bring this up since it has been discussed to death. the mogul had the same thing and we inpatiently waited for the rev a rom to enable the internal gps antenna. (and still not officially released but we got it workig great through 6.1) the touch will need the same enabled by the rev a rom update for the touch. when this is release the members at SPJ will be the first to know. Thanks
Okay okay.. its just I've seen posts of people wondering whether it did actually have an antenna inside and requesting pics of it etc.. I had seen lots of mention of the Chipset supporting it but nothing specifically about the antenna. I'll wait patiently then
Old 03-02-2008, 06:27 PM

“ Originally Posted by MattOktaNZ View Post

Okay okay.. its just I've seen posts of people wondering whether it did actually have an antenna inside and requesting pics of it etc.. I had seen lots of mention of the Chipset supporting it but nothing specifically about the antenna. I'll wait patiently then
yup that what we al had to do. i too mine apart actually and it does have the antenna include inside. unfortunately we lost all attachments on th site duting an upgrade and i had on my lappy but thats in for repairs and prolly wil lose all data. but it doe so when the release comes as i said you all here will be te first to know.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch CDMA

View aemond's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View aemond's Photo Album Add aemond's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I posted on wrong thread, sorry. Post cancelled.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Mobile Model: i880

View supera187's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View supera187's Photo Album Add supera187's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

cool beans, thanks
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
enabled, gps, sprint, touch