scott8813 scott8813 is offline   Thread Starter  
InsomniAddict
Mobile Model: MogulTouchProTouchHD
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,397 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View scott8813's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View scott8813's Photo Album Add scott8813's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
National phishing scam targets Sprint cell customers

(The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) Jan. 24-- Pittsburgh police investigators warned cell phone customers Friday about a text-messaging scam that they say is reaching "epidemic" proportions nationwide.

People are receiving text messages as part of a phishing scam, in which victims are asked for their bank account numbers and PINs, said Detective Christopher Jordan of the Computer Crimes Unit.

The scam affects Sprint cell-phone customers and involves dozens of banks, police said.

A typical text message might read: "This is an automatic message from Star Bank. Your ATM card has been deactivated, and it is urgent that you call the following number."

Those who send a text message to the number included in the phishing-scam text typically receive a return text asking for bank account and PIN information, Jordan said. Those who call the phone number, usually a 1-800 number, would be prompted to enter personal banking information through an automated system.

The numbers included in the scam texts are "spoofed," Jordan said, easily created using computer software.

"You basically call or text someone from your phone and your number, but this software makes it so that another number appears on the caller ID," Jordan said. "We haven't been able to trace or track these numbers."

Four victims surfaced locally in the past week, but Jordan said none returned text messages or divulged personal information.

"We want to get the word out because young kids who text a lot, or maybe older people who aren't that familiar with technology, might have received a cell phone for the holidays and might just automatically return a text message," Jordan said. "We want people to be careful."

Banks typically don't contact customers via text message to address a problem with an account, city police spokeswoman Diane Richard said. Banks, instead, call customers directly.

Phishing scams are common in e-mail accounts but have surfaced on cell phones in the past two years. The phishing scam on Sprint cells phones have affected customers in dozens of states, including New York, Michigan, Missouri and Texas, police said.

Anyone who receives a suspicious text message should ignore it and contact the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center at

Code

www.ic3.gov
or call the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection at 1-717-7879707.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to scott8813 For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Mobile Model: Ocean
Mobile Carrier: Helio
Mobile OS: 5.0

View Vdubjetta98's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Vdubjetta98's Photo Album Add Vdubjetta98's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: National phishing scam targets Sprint cell customers

This happened to me, its not just sprint but sprint subsadaries such as tracphone nextel virgin mobile helio Etc
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vdubjetta98 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Mobile Model: Sprint Touch Pro
Mobile OS: 6.1

View Moebius's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Moebius's Photo Album Add Moebius's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I had a "Visa Alert" text yesterday.

What really scares me is that people are dumb enough to fall for these kinds of things. And these guys are no fun either. At least I could enjoy leading the Nigerian email scammers around, trying to get them to send me pictures and stuff. Used to make quite a hobby of that.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moebius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2009, 05:07 PM
The Man with the Plan!
Mobile Model: Mogul/Touch/IPHONE3G
Mobile Carrier: Sprint,AT&T,T-Mobile

Thanked 4,700 Times in 1,421 Posts

View ICEM/\N's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ICEM/\N's Photo Album Add ICEM/\N's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by scott8813 View Post

(The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) Jan. 24-- Pittsburgh police investigators warned cell phone customers Friday about a text-messaging scam that they say is reaching "epidemic" proportions nationwide.

People are receiving text messages as part of a phishing scam, in which victims are asked for their bank account numbers and PINs, said Detective Christopher Jordan of the Computer Crimes Unit.

The scam affects Sprint cell-phone customers and involves dozens of banks, police said.

A typical text message might read: "This is an automatic message from Star Bank. Your ATM card has been deactivated, and it is urgent that you call the following number."

Those who send a text message to the number included in the phishing-scam text typically receive a return text asking for bank account and PIN information, Jordan said. Those who call the phone number, usually a 1-800 number, would be prompted to enter personal banking information through an automated system.

The numbers included in the scam texts are "spoofed," Jordan said, easily created using computer software.

"You basically call or text someone from your phone and your number, but this software makes it so that another number appears on the caller ID," Jordan said. "We haven't been able to trace or track these numbers."

Four victims surfaced locally in the past week, but Jordan said none returned text messages or divulged personal information.

"We want to get the word out because young kids who text a lot, or maybe older people who aren't that familiar with technology, might have received a cell phone for the holidays and might just automatically return a text message," Jordan said. "We want people to be careful."

Banks typically don't contact customers via text message to address a problem with an account, city police spokeswoman Diane Richard said. Banks, instead, call customers directly.

Phishing scams are common in e-mail accounts but have surfaced on cell phones in the past two years. The phishing scam on Sprint cells phones have affected customers in dozens of states, including New York, Michigan, Missouri and Texas, police said.

Anyone who receives a suspicious text message should ignore it and contact the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center at

Code

www.ic3.gov
or call the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection at 1-717-7879707.

thanks for this message...I have gotten 2 separate text messages stating they were from banks and saying that same thing....I thought it was very parculiar and one of them was a possible credit union bank I had along time ago around my university that had switched names and I could not remember its exact name....I had planned to look up the companies website and ask them what the deal was without replying straight to text because I thought it was suspicious....yes, I knew I was right!!!!!!!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ICEM/\N For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2009, 12:13 PM
scott8813 scott8813 is offline   Thread Starter  
InsomniAddict
Mobile Model: MogulTouchProTouchHD

Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,397 Posts

View scott8813's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View scott8813's Photo Album Add scott8813's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

i got one too. it said from VISA and they're not in my phone book so it shouldn't entitle the sending number with any name but it did anyway. Very convincing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scott8813 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Mobile Model: Touch Prizo!!!
Mobile Carrier: sprint

Thanked 7,924 Times in 2,668 Posts

View Superman369's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Superman369's Photo Album Add Superman369's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Hahaha, me and my wife both got the good ol "VISA ALERT" messages on two different days. Funny stuff.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Superman369 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2009, 02:22 AM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by Superman369 View Post

Hahaha, me and my wife both got the good ol "VISA ALERT" messages on two different days. Funny stuff.
its pretty much like the ebay password thing or log into ebay through this email hahahah yeah right.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2009, 02:40 AM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch Pro
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 1,017 Times in 393 Posts

View ronaldsdv's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ronaldsdv's Photo Album Add ronaldsdv's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I have not got one yet, but thanks for the heads up!
The Following User Says Thank You to ronaldsdv For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
cell, customers, national, phishing, scam, sprint, targets