scott8813 scott8813 is offline   Thread Starter  
InsomniAddict
Mobile Model: MogulTouchProTouchHD
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,397 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View scott8813's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View scott8813's Photo Album Add scott8813's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Smart phones could make your ditch your car keys

Smartphones have crawled into every aspect of our lives right from staying connected, sending emails, taking pictures and even listening to music on the go. Now these smart phones are set to give car drivers the futuristic capabilities of the Batmobile’s remote control. The recent concept cars, such as the Rinspeed iChange and the Chrysler Global Electric Motorcars Peapod have chosen the iPhone to be used as a car key in the near future. Zipcar, a car sharing service, is already set to reveal itsiPhone application that will let users locate available cars in their vicinity, reserve the one they want and pay for it! If that was not smart enough, the Zipcar app lets users locate the car in a parking lot, by blowing its horn. Zipcar’s iPhone also includes a feature that uses the phone as the key to start the car or to start the car remotely. Now who needs a car key when your phone can do that for you!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to scott8813 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Mobile Model: TOUCHpro2
Mobile OS: 7.0

Thanked 6,709 Times in 2,216 Posts

View jr5416's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View jr5416's Photo Album Add jr5416's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Smart phones could make your ditch your car keys

Wow that is crazy lol what else u can u possibly come out with next ?Great find bro .

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jr5416 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Mobile Model: Palm Pre

View TheSignor's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View TheSignor's Photo Album Add TheSignor's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

That is very cool stuff. I wonder what else it could turn on and off too as far as the car is concerned. For awhile though I would still be taking my car keys with me...I'm old fashioned like that, haha.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheSignor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by scott8813 View Post

Smartphones have crawled into every aspect of our lives right from staying connected, sending emails, taking pictures and even listening to music on the go. Now these smart phones are set to give car drivers the futuristic capabilities of the Batmobile’s remote control. The recent concept cars, such as the Rinspeed iChange and the Chrysler Global Electric Motorcars Peapod have chosen the iPhone to be used as a car key in the near future. Zipcar, a car sharing service, is already set to reveal itsiPhone application that will let users locate available cars in their vicinity, reserve the one they want and pay for it! If that was not smart enough, the Zipcar app lets users locate the car in a parking lot, by blowing its horn. Zipcar’s iPhone also includes a feature that uses the phone as the key to start the car or to start the car remotely. Now who needs a car key when your phone can do that for you!

the only thing that worries me is what happens if you iphones battery dies? or for heavens sake in this economy something happened to the iphone after this was made and they couldnt be used or upgraded anymore.... does that make the car useless?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Mobile Model: Palm Pre

View TheSignor's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View TheSignor's Photo Album Add TheSignor's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

the only thing that worries me is what happens if you iphones battery dies? or for heavens sake in this economy something happened to the iphone after this was made and they couldnt be used or upgraded anymore.... does that make the car useless?
uhhhh...........that's a good point.......haha. I guess sometimes when something cool like this comes upon us we don't see the forest for the trees. I think maybe it should really only be relied upon as a "backup" or at the very least still provide people with key fobs and real keys and such. Also limiting this kind of technology to a lone device is very silly to me to begin with.

Also, I have a bit of an issue with the car locating feature. The car blowing the horn loud enough for you to locate it is so not cool and anyone with a keyfob alarm system to do that trick. I would have preferred the App use a sort of radar that blipped on the screen and showed you where your car was so you could see yourself getting closer and closer to it. I can't believe they didn't think of something like that since the 3GS had that compass put in.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheSignor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2009, 01:33 AM
Mobile Model: Sprint Touch Pro

Thanked 1,567 Times in 480 Posts

View Sh0wNuF's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Sh0wNuF's Photo Album Add Sh0wNuF's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

man, if this happens and the only way to start the car is with the iphone...there are going to be a lot of stolen cars. Its kinda hard to steal keys and find the car since you have to be semi close to the car for the remote to work...now all you gotta do is grab someones iphone while they aren't looking and not only do you have a brand new phone, you also got yourself a brand new car. And I guess if you stole someones iphone just for the phone you could also get charged with grand theft auto...hopefully they will think about this app a little more and resolve some of the holes in their plan

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sh0wNuF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Mobile Model: Mogul

View RconR007's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View RconR007's Photo Album Add RconR007's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

You are going to laugh when you hear this:
But one possible solution would be to build a finger print scan reader into the iPhone and program it to only let you open the car. Problem Solved.

LOL. But this is sure cool tech in any case.

Agent RR-007
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RconR007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Mobile Model: HtC ToUcH PrIzZo 2
Mobile Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,710 Posts

View GokuSS3's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View GokuSS3's Photo Album Add GokuSS3's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Got to say now that is really cool if the Iphone have we have it haha....

The Following User Says Thank You to GokuSS3 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2009, 01:54 AM
The VenumX Factor
Mobile Model: HTC Touch PRO

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,192 Posts

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

what kind of signal could they use that couldnt easily be hacked...i mean come on.. if this really came out hackers would be stealing cars and car thieves would become hackers doubling our problems :P

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2009, 02:41 AM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by VenumX View Post

what kind of signal could they use that couldnt easily be hacked...i mean come on.. if this really came out hackers would be stealing cars and car thieves would become hackers doubling our problems :P
agreed venum, it wouldnt be that hard considering they have to use the infared beam and infared beams are very much alike and go off of frequency..... hell you can tweak any phone through the registry to have the beam feature hot different frequencies... also many other things out there would be able to manipulate the frequency of the infared beam.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2009, 02:44 AM
The VenumX Factor

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

agreed venum, it wouldnt be that hard considering they have to use the infared beam and infared beams are very much alike and go off of frequency..... hell you can tweak any phone through the registry to have the beam feature hot different frequencies... also many other things out there would be able to manipulate the frequency of the infared beam.
yeah i mean think of whats out there, wfii? bluetooth? IR? RF? HTTP (username/pass)? i mean any technology is hackable these days, I could hack all of those using my laptop from 5 years ago and a few USB devices in a matter of hours....maybe minutes..

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2009, 03:47 AM
InsomniAddict

View scott8813's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View scott8813's Photo Album Add scott8813's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

they would most likely use the same thing that the keyless entry remotes on cars today. The way those clickers for you car alarm works and doesn't turn off the alarm on every car like yours in the area is because they use a synchronizing rotating RF frequency modulation tool that syncs up a set code of constantly changing radio frequency signals that align with the unit installed in your car. Like when you go get an alarm for your car or if you already have one but lose the clicker they can replace it but first they must remodulate it to match. I would imagine that they would have installed a unit in the vehicles that does the same thing and when you purchase the car they install some app on your phone that they then modulate signals to your newly puchased vehicle and send you on your way. Just my guess

The Following User Says Thank You to scott8813 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2009, 04:32 AM

they would most likely use the same thing that the keyless entry remotes on cars today. The way those clickers for you car alarm works and doesn't turn off the alarm on every car like yours in the area is because they use a synchronizing rotating RF frequency modulation tool that syncs up a set code of constantly changing radio frequency signals that align with the unit installed in your car. Like when you go get an alarm for your car or if you already have one but lose the clicker they can replace it but first they must remodulate it to match. I would imagine that they would have installed a unit in the vehicles that does the same thing and when you purchase the car they install some app on your phone that they then modulate signals to your newly puchased vehicle and send you on your way. Just my guess
could be but still your a little more limited on a phone i would think.... if they add to much money to the program many wont use it since the price of the device would skyrocket. why sell few at a high price when you can sell many at a reasonable price?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2009, 08:21 AM
InsomniAddict

could be but still your a little more limited on a phone i would think.... if they add to much money to the program many wont use it since the price of the device would skyrocket. why sell few at a high price when you can sell many at a reasonable price?
the car unit shouldn't cost any more than a normal alarm system. And as for the Iphone, like every mobile phone it already capable of sending/receiving radio signals and would just need an app installation with the correct matching setting input to rotate random corresponding frequencies.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:17 AM
The VenumX Factor

true but it could still be hacked it would if you scan through a bunch of RF frequencies in a parking lot of cars with this technology you are bound to hit an unlock somewhere... + this would require installing something in the phone that allows RF signals to be send from the phone as the iphone doesnt have this

The Following User Says Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2009, 12:15 PM

true but it could still be hacked it would if you scan through a bunch of RF frequencies in a parking lot of cars with this technology you are bound to hit an unlock somewhere... + this would require installing something in the phone that allows RF signals to be send from the phone as the iphone doesnt have this
yuppers but at least they have a compass on their devices hahahhaah ill jsut use gps to find my way back to civilization and walk it hahaha
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
car, ditch, keys, make, phones, smart