Post New ThreadReply

Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 PM
rubantin rubantin is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: non yet
Mobile Carrier: non yet
Mobile OS: 5.0

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View rubantin's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View rubantin's Photo Album Add rubantin's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Looking for some advice for getting a phone

Hi,
I am a school teacher/administrator. My staff seems to think that a smartphone/pda would help me. So... I am looking. I would like some suggestions for a phone that has WIFI, WM 6.1, a decent camera and either unlocked or T-mobile. And the most important thing... It must be between $150 -$250.

One I am currently looking at is

I know I posted this earlier but it was in the wrong area and now I can't find it... so...

Thanks,
Russ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubantin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 PM
OG Member
Mobile Model: Pixel 7 Pro
Mobile Carrier: Metro PCS
Mobile OS: Android

Thanked 10,859 Times in 2,859 Posts
Downloads: 26
Uploads: 152

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Looking for some advice for getting a phone

“ Originally Posted by rubantin View Post

Hi,
I am a school teacher/administrator. My staff seems to think that a smartphone/pda would help me. So... I am looking. I would like some suggestions for a phone that has WIFI, WM 6.1, a decent camera and either unlocked or T-mobile. And the most important thing... It must be between $150 -$250.

One I am currently looking at is

I know I posted this earlier but it was in the wrong area and now I can't find it... so...

Thanks,
Russ

hey russ to to find out where is you last post Is, either go the thread where you last posted or go in your profile and under statistic look for last thread or last post.There's no need to keep asking the same question over and over when the members had already assisted you with your questions and already answered it.

this will be moved to the bin and closed

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to puertoblack2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2009, 09:46 PM
OG Member
Mobile Model: Pixel 7 Pro
Mobile Carrier: Metro PCS
Mobile OS: Android

Thanked 10,859 Times in 2,859 Posts
Downloads: 26
Uploads: 152

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

ok not sure what happen to your post...but i remember few of the members answered your questions.Ok so last start over now..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to puertoblack2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Worlds BEST site spj.com
Mobile Model: Vogue WinMo 6.5
Mobile Carrier: Sprint WinMo 6.5
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 1,070 Times in 269 Posts

View thermus's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View thermus's Photo Album Add thermus's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

well assuming your willing to sign a new contract I think the htc diamond should be close to that price range.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thermus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2009, 11:36 PM
The Man with the Plan!
Mobile Model: Mogul/Touch/IPHONE3G
Mobile Carrier: Sprint,AT&T,T-Mobile
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 4,700 Times in 1,421 Posts

View ICEM/\N's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ICEM/\N's Photo Album Add ICEM/\N's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by thermus View Post

well assuming your willing to sign a new contract I think the htc diamond should be close to that price range.
well currently, tmobile is not the biggest carrier of smartphones as they have been in the past but they are soon to carry the new htc touchpro 2 and their new version of the htc dash...but for now all tmobile has with your spec needs would be the htc shadow, which you can see on their site and stores. And if your limit is under just $250 you are going to have a nearly impossible time finding a windows mobile smartphone with wifi which is unlocked! I would look into the Google phone that tmobile has which has wifi and is on their 3g network...the is also the mytouch coming out soon which is pretty much the 2nd generation google android phone for tmobile.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ICEM/\N For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2009, 08:21 AM

View rubantin's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View rubantin's Photo Album Add rubantin's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I am going to use a t-mobile PAYG sim card. So.. no I am not going for a contract phone. Any opinions on the "WING"?
The Following User Says Thank You to rubantin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch & Pro!!
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 4,891 Times in 1,440 Posts

View crazaytalent's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View crazaytalent's Photo Album Add crazaytalent's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Wing will probably do the Job for you, but truthfully at this point in time w/ the newer phones available and ones soon to be released, wing is not up to par as far as specs go, less memory, slower processor, less defination screen etc... still its a decent phone... cant recall if it has wifi, but if it does it may do the trick for u.... especially if your new to the wm field...its a great place to start...

Not sure what att is charging these days, but it maybe worth looking into the possibility of getting the htc fuze (which is the touch pro) since both companies are gsm and possibly gettin it unlocked and switch over to tmobile... not sure how much that will cost tho....

if u can pass on wm os, id suggest the adroid phones tmoble has like the g1 as its right in ur price range and does most everyhting u described... with the exception of windows mobile... but still a very capable smartphone...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crazaytalent For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by crazaytalent View Post

Wing will probably do the Job for you, but truthfully at this point in time w/ the newer phones available and ones soon to be released, wing is not up to par as far as specs go, less memory, slower processor, less defination screen etc... still its a decent phone... cant recall if it has wifi, but if it does it may do the trick for u.... especially if your new to the wm field...its a great place to start...

Not sure what att is charging these days, but it maybe worth looking into the possibility of getting the htc fuze (which is the touch pro) since both companies are gsm and possibly gettin it unlocked and switch over to tmobile... not sure how much that will cost tho....

if u can pass on wm os, id suggest the adroid phones tmoble has like the g1 as its right in ur price range and does most everyhting u described... with the exception of windows mobile... but still a very capable smartphone...
the wing i wouldnt recommend since it has one major problem and that is memory..... i would go android if you dont need the wm gig going on like my buddy zay stated above.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Mobile Model: Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: $print

Thanked 2,366 Times in 774 Posts

View PsyChoTk's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View PsyChoTk's Photo Album Add PsyChoTk's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

the wing i wouldnt recommend since it has one major problem and that is memory..... i would go android if you dont need the wm gig going on like my buddy zay stated above.
get a refurb TP or FUZE add insurance in case it goes out. hold onto the phone until the TP2 is released.

no matter what phone you get, it's outdated the moment you get it. look for the features you want and the flexability of customizations.

most of my co-workers don't even know how to use the most basic functions of the TP, even though the senior admin and higher ups have them. they fell in with the hype and HAD to have new phone with gadgets and eyecandy, they don't even know how to use.

case in point, just this morning i showed my boss how he can change his calender view on the Good exchange server from week view with timelines to angenda view.

now the bosses all have Pre's which can't access Good so they can't get thier work email. hehehe i just sit back and watch the panic. it's the little things......
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PsyChoTk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2009, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the input. Is the wing memory upgradable?

I am also looking at the BB storm. Dunno... The only reason I am going WM 6.1 is that I want something that will for sure sync with my Windows Live. And also I want something that I can remote into my school server (windows server 2008) with.

Some of the chinese clones are appealing as well...

Touch pro looks nice.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 PM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Thanks for the input. Is the wing memory upgradable?

I am also looking at the BB storm. Dunno... The only reason I am going WM 6.1 is that I want something that will for sure sync with my Windows Live. And also I want something that I can remote into my school server (windows server 2008) with.

Some of the chinese clones are appealing as well...

Touch pro looks nice.
dont get aclone they are garbage and you cant put insurance on them...... and you do have a sd card slot but only certain apps can be installed to that..... the wing would be a nice phone if you are looking at the business aspect and not planning on adding anything to fancy to the device you will be fine on memory...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2009, 04:40 PM

I am starting to focus in on a BB storm... any reason I shouldn't get one?
Old 07-01-2009, 04:56 PM

View PsyChoTk's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View PsyChoTk's Photo Album Add PsyChoTk's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I am starting to focus in on a BB storm... any reason I shouldn't get one?
Yea, its a crapberry.....but I'm cynical like that.

But on a serious note it's easier to add and customize the WM phones. With the crapberry, your stuck with all the bloatwear.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PsyChoTk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Creativity Unleashed
Mobile Model: htc pro2 baby!!!!!!
Mobile Carrier: sprint

Thanked 4,467 Times in 1,422 Posts

View PHE-NOM's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View PHE-NOM's Photo Album Add PHE-NOM's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

if you need FAST e-mail get the bb storm, if not go with WM.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PHE-NOM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2009, 05:01 PM

“ Originally Posted by PHE-NOM View Post

if you need FAST e-mail get the bb storm, if not go with WM.

+1. It is fast on the email, but once your sitting in a doctor's office, line at the airport, or in a meeting at work, you'll be kicking yourself since there are a TON of WM games to make the time go by.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsyChoTk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 PM

“ Originally Posted by PsyChoTk View Post

+1. It is fast on the email, but once your sitting in a doctor's office, line at the airport, or in a meeting at work, you'll be kicking yourself since there are a TON of WM games to make the time go by.
thats for sure and there isnt much bling factor to the look of it either that you can add..... your stuck with the same ui also on the crackberry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
advice, phone