Old 08-02-2009, 11:05 AM
ronaldsdv ronaldsdv is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: HTC Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 1,017 Times in 393 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View ronaldsdv's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ronaldsdv's Photo Album Add ronaldsdv's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Texting-While-Driving Ban Faces Tough Fight

While checking online for stuff I came across this and it seems that is creating some turmoil to certain areas in the nation

Federal legislation that would require states to ban texting while driving has sparked differing reactions from wireless carriers and an industry group, with some preferring that states handle the matter.

The bill, called the ALERT Drivers Act (for Avoiding Life-Endangering and Reckless Texting by Drivers Act), was introduced last week by four U.S. senators and would require states to bar drivers of cars or trucks from sending text or e-mail messages or risk losing 25% of their federal highway funds each year that they fail to comply. A similar strategy was used successfully by Congress in 1984 to require states to raise the minimum drinking age to 21.
One lobbyist who works for an organization of state officials and asked not to be named, said the bill is destined to "go nowhere since a 25% reduction in highway funds would devastate the economy, and that's not something we need right now."
Verizon Endorses Action

In the wireless industry, however, Verizon Wireless quickly jumped to support the ALERT legislation, and noted it had been the first to support hands-free driving laws in various states as early as 2000.
Meanwhile, the CTIA, an industry group that represents all the major wireless carriers, said it supports state legislative remedies but did not comment on the ALERT measure.
"We support federal legislation to ban texting and e-mailing while driving," said Steven Zipperstein, general counsel at Verizon Wireless in a statement. "This approach is a logical extension of our previous breaks with other wireless companies to support statewide legislation banning texting and e-mailing while driving." He went on to say Verizon applauds the four senate sponsors of the bill, Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), Mary Landrieu (D-La.) and Kay Hagen (D-N.C.)
Currently, 14 states have various laws that ban texting while driving, which is viewed by various research studies as greatly impairing a driver's ability to drive safely. One recent study found that the risk of getting into an accident is 23 times higher when texting while driving.
The CTIA said its member companies believe text messaging while driving is "incompatible with safe driving." However, it said it supports "state legislative remedies to solve this issue," and added, "but simply passing a law will not change behavior."
CTIA also emphasized its belief in better driver's education to focus on reducing distracted driving.
A CTIA spokeswoman said she couldn't say whether there was wide disparity among the carriers over the issue.
Other Carriers Cautious

AT&T issued a brief statement saying it hasn't reviewed the ALERT legislation but is "supportive of legislation to prohibit texting while driving." The carrier added that AT&T has "long advised customers not to use a phone to send messages while driving."

Sprint Nextel Inc. spokesman John Taylor said the company also hasn't staked a position on the ALERT legislation. He added that the bill is likely to provoke a needed debate on the topic, and might put a greater focus on the need for more driver's education, which is generally no longer taught in public high schools.
"We're not opposed to legislation banning texting that has come before the states, but we're not sure it's effective," Taylor said. He said the same question of effectiveness holds true for laws requiring hands-free devices for drivers who talk on cell phones. Taylor said police are enforcing reckless driving laws, but the presence of more laws would not replace the need for better driver training nationwide.
"The goal is to stop bad behavior," Taylor said, noting that Sprint has provided financial support for its Focus on Driving education initiative since 2003, which relies on teenagers to teach each other about the dangers of distracted driving. "We've learned that the best educator is a peer," he noted.
The American Automobile Association and other groups have focused on better training as well, noting that some countries in Europe require hundreds of hours of driving practice before a license is issued, while some U.S. states require none.
With such differences of opinion, the legislation is sure to provoke more discussion, especially because of the financial repercussions states would face with the penalties.
A spokesman for the Governors Highway Safety Association said it wouldn't support the ALERT legislation because of the financial sanctions on the states that don't have laws in place. A statement from the association said that it has not supported a complete ban "because of the difficulty of enforcing such laws."
However, the governors' group urged states to ban all non-emergency use of cell phones for voice and texting for new drivers, including teen drivers. To enable better reporting of crashes that involve cell phones, the governors group also urged including a category for cell phone distraction on a crash investigation form. Thirty states already include such information, it said.
The governors' group also urged the federal government to fund a media campaign to alert the public about the dangers of distracted driving, and to continue to fund research in the area, including the effectiveness of new technologies that could reduce or eliminate distractions.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ronaldsdv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Texting-While-Driving Ban Faces Tough Fight

thanks for the share, i feel this is a good idea even though ill admit i send them while driving and dont want to see it change...... but with the added danger on the road i can def see why law enforcement wants to get this done.. finally people are realizing that life is more important than a silly text.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 AM

View ronaldsdv's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ronaldsdv's Photo Album Add ronaldsdv's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I know lots of people do it, including me haha, but I think is for the best and it will save us a lot of time while driving haha
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ronaldsdv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Mobile Model: Touch Pro!

View kid414's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View kid414's Photo Album Add kid414's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I'm guilty of this myself. Even though I've mastered the "driving with the knee" technique, I feel their should be tougher laws. How many will follow this though? It took years to get seat belt laws passed in most states and people still not wearing them. I also look at it as I don't want sum rookie driver who just got their license textin on their phone when they don't even know how to really drive on the road yet.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kid414 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 11:34 AM

+1 on that one I've even seen seniors doing the same thing ... and I'm like what are you doing .... we'll see where all this goes @ the end of the day we all need to still be aware of our surroundings while driving!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ronaldsdv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Mobile Model: TouchPro2
Mobile Carrier: telus

View medic88's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View medic88's Photo Album Add medic88's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I am totally for this! this is a long time coming! I can't even tell you guys how many people i scrap off the road because they were texting, checking emails or even just talking on there phone. I hope hands free does take effect like in the UK!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to medic88 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 12:06 PM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by medic88 View Post

I am totally for this! this is a long time coming! I can't even tell you guys how many people i scrap off the road because they were texting, checking emails or even just talking on there phone. I hope hands free does take effect like in the UK!
yes it is sad to see ansd amny of them are the younger groups that just began driving ansd dont know what they are doing... (at least in my area) i see all kinds of thing working at the hospitals and most of the accident victims that come in were in some way cell phone invlolved like they or anther were typing on it sending a text or email, they were talking on it, placing t on vibrate, whatever... thankfully at my hospital we arent a high trauma facility so i dont see the real bnad ones or anything but still enough to keep you thinking.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 12:22 PM

View MonkeYSpanK's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View MonkeYSpanK's Photo Album Add MonkeYSpanK's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

they are already inforceing it here in cali. depending on where u are its like a $200 - $500 fine. and because of the budget probs they are really trying to crack down on it to bring in extra money.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MonkeYSpanK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 02:01 PM

Same here in DC they can not see you with a phone in your hands at all is either a headset or a fine ....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ronaldsdv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 02:56 PM

View MonkeYSpanK's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View MonkeYSpanK's Photo Album Add MonkeYSpanK's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

whats even better is if your under 18 u can't even use a headset. if you get caught with your phone out you loose your license for 2 years. and i think the parents get fined too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MonkeYSpanK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Mobile Model: Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: $print

Thanked 2,366 Times in 774 Posts

View PsyChoTk's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View PsyChoTk's Photo Album Add PsyChoTk's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Nothing is going to stop people from doing what they want. No one cares and they will complain til they are directly affected.

How many people have been killed, maimed, or hurt do to their or someone else texting? There have been several high profile cases recently. But, no one wants to change. I don’t see the need to text and drive, why not pick up the phone and call.

Others think it’s a revenue generator for the government, but why does the government have to step in again to “save” society from itself? Why can people use common sense and wait til their stopped? Or, bear with me......................... pull over???
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsyChoTk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 03:57 PM
The VenumX Factor
Mobile Model: HTC Touch PRO

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,192 Posts

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by PsyChoTk View Post

Nothing is going to stop people from doing what they want. No one cares and they will complain til they are directly affected.

How many people have been killed, maimed, or hurt do to their or someone else texting? There have been several high profile cases recently. But, no one wants to change. I don’t see the need to text and drive, why not pick up the phone and call.

Others think it’s a revenue generator for the government, but why does the government have to step in again to “save” society from itself? Why can people use common sense and wait til their stopped? Or, bear with me......................... pull over???
Yeah, I text while im driving all the time. I am one of those that have mastered the text while driving with one knee and not looking at the phone as im texting. I don't think that the government should be able to make laws like this; restricting people from doing dumb things. I drive better and am more alert than my parents and my grandparents even when texting on the road. Some people can do it, other people don't have the coordination or multitasking skills. I've seen my sister try to do it and she is one of the ones i worry about texting and driving. I say as long as you stay alert and dont get distracted and don't text a friggen paragraph while driving you should be allowed to do what you want.

On another note, however, I bet M$ will be supporting this wholeheartedly with their Tellme. program coming out for WM 6.5 that allows you to speak your text messages through a BT headset.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Mobile Model: htc touch pro
Mobile Carrier: sprint

Thanked 2,355 Times in 750 Posts

View tlpalmer01's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View tlpalmer01's Photo Album Add tlpalmer01's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

hell when i was a cop i remember pulling this one car over cause she was talking on her phone and not paying attention blowing thru a red light at a major intersection thank god that there was no accident, so i wrote her a ticket for "one handed driving"....not to change thread but i was on the way to the hospital with a prisoner and on I75, i looked over and this guy was reading the paper as he was driving..I hit the wailer and he looked at me like what was he doing wrong..what a moron...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tlpalmer01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 05:43 PM

“ Originally Posted by tlpalmer01 View Post

hell when i was a cop i remember pulling this one car over cause she was talking on her phone and not paying attention blowing thru a red light at a major intersection thank god that there was no accident, so i wrote her a ticket for "one handed driving"....not to change thread but i was on the way to the hospital with a prisoner and on I75, i looked over and this guy was reading the paper as he was driving..I hit the wailer and he looked at me like what was he doing wrong..what a moron...
hahahaha i did that to a lady.... she was at the light which was red with a cop behind her..... she was clearly not paying any attention to anything but her convo and than saw the clear intersection which was the calling for messing with someone.... so i crept upto the stop line which thankfully i was 6 ft or so behind.... since she wasnt paying attention she thought the light hasd turned green so started to go hahahahhaha the cop was like wtf and gave me a funny ass smirk as he passed like thattaboy hahahaa
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Mobile Model: HTC 6800
Mobile Carrier: Cellular south
Mobile OS: 5.0

View qrazy08's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View qrazy08's Photo Album Add qrazy08's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

twd is not good at all causes accidents lol
The Following User Says Thank You to qrazy08 For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
ban, driving, faces, fight, news, texting, textingwhiledriving, tough