Old 08-02-2009, 05:10 PM
tlpalmer01 tlpalmer01 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: htc touch pro
Mobile Carrier: sprint
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 2,355 Times in 750 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View tlpalmer01's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View tlpalmer01's Photo Album Add tlpalmer01's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
car brakes

Just a question to kind of give me a rough idea. I have a 07 chevy monte carlo and lately when i back up its like a grind rattle from the back, then when i brake it sounds the same. It doesnt do it all the time braking. The car still stops great. Was wondering price range what I may be looking at for brake repairs at a shop?....and is midas a good place or should i look else where?....I do not know that much about vehicles..I wish I did, I just dont want to pay for things I may not need...Im thinking maybe just pads but not sure.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tlpalmer01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: car brakes

“ Originally Posted by tlpalmer01 View Post

Just a question to kind of give me a rough idea. I have a 07 chevy monte carlo and lately when i back up its like a grind rattle from the back, then when i brake it sounds the same. It doesnt do it all the time braking. The car still stops great. Was wondering price range what I may be looking at for brake repairs at a shop?....and is midas a good place or should i look else where?....I do not know that much about vehicles..I wish I did, I just dont want to pay for things I may not need...Im thinking maybe just pads but not sure.....
sounds like the pads are getting to the grind plates.... ar you disc all around where you can see the rotor or do you have drums
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 05:22 PM

View tlpalmer01's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View tlpalmer01's Photo Album Add tlpalmer01's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

oh my god I have no clue what i have....thats a good question?.....even if i looked at the car i would have no clue what i would be looking at....thanks for quick reply but that sounds expensive...
Old 08-02-2009, 05:23 PM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

oh my god I have no clue what i have....thats a good question?.....even if i looked at the car i would have no clue what i would be looking at....thanks for quick reply but that sounds expensive...
naw its not bad for brakes you can get a whole job for under 100 bones and around 40 if you know someone that can do them.... rotors will be round and shiny and drums will be just big and nasty looking.... on most vehicles they are rotors... tkae a pic and i can tell you easily... jsut get one fromt and one rear in there.

Edit: always change all brakes at the same time not just the front or just the rear.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:27 PM

u know i believe then they would have to be rotors....thanks thank actually makes me feel better, i was thinking 500 to 600...thanks for quick reply....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tlpalmer01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 05:36 PM

u know i believe then they would have to be rotors....thanks thank actually makes me feel better, i was thinking 500 to 600...thanks for quick reply....
oh no just get them checked in the next week so you odnt ruin the rotors and such which would be an extra 50-75 bucks a rotor.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 05:38 PM

cool thanks dash.............u know how to please a woman............
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tlpalmer01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 05:41 PM

cool thanks dash.............u know how to please a woman............
hahahahhaa ill be a good boy on that one and just smile
Old 08-02-2009, 05:42 PM

hahahahahahahaha....i was wondering......lol..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tlpalmer01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Mobile Model: HtC ToUcH PrIzZo 2
Mobile Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,710 Posts

View GokuSS3's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View GokuSS3's Photo Album Add GokuSS3's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Have you ever changed your Brakes before ? And when you do your brakes make you ask for premium pads don't let them stick crap on there. Ask for pads like Black Label , Wagner , Monroe , Akebono. Make sure the resurf your rotors to and don't just slapp on pads. Cause if do you will an have grooves in your Rotors it will do the same to your pads , and your new pads will make a ton of noise. If got anymore Questions Tlpalmer hit me up I work at Sears Auto as a Service Writer.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GokuSS3 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Blackberry Dude
Mobile Model: Rim 8330
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: Unknown

View austinator's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View austinator's Photo Album Add austinator's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

does not sound like the brakes. Sounds like the rotors. Do you have disk or drum brakes?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to austinator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2009, 10:33 PM

i have disc brakes and one of my coworkers is going to do them, im am so happy, will be able to save some money....im going to do the back ones...im pretty sure i need new rotors he said...thanks for reply......
Old 08-13-2009, 01:12 PM

i just got my car brakes fixed for 80.00..very nice having a friend do them and much cheaper......
Old 08-13-2009, 01:13 PM

i just got my car brakes fixed for 80.00..very nice having a friend do them and much cheaper......
did you need the rotors too?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Mobile Model: touch pro

Thanked 1,383 Times in 489 Posts

View parna1973's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View parna1973's Photo Album Add parna1973's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

i highly recommend to change brake pads as soon as possible u still got a little pad meaning it cant still be cheap to repair...but dont wait to much metal can get to disc and could damage disc meaning more money..

The Following User Says Thank You to parna1973 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2009, 06:23 PM
NOOB 4 EVER
Mobile Model: Touch Pro
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 1,370 Times in 335 Posts

View gadget945's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View gadget945's Photo Album Add gadget945's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Hey there - sorry I didn't get to see this sooner. As a woman who has been an assistant manager at an Oreilly's and gets called on to do repairs to other people's vehicles, I'd like to give you some information about your car repairs, just for future reference.

Oreilly's and AutoZone both have online interactive parts lookups. Not sure if they even have stores in your aread, but that's the cool thing about the web, you can still use the information that you get from them. You will need some minor information about your vehicle when looking up parts, like your VIN number, or just what size motor you have. For instance, with your 2007 Monte Carlo, there are 3 options available for motor size. However, all three models have four wheel disc brakes.

In any case, the sites I mention all have kind of quickie tutorials on what may be needed for a job, some of them even have a "it makes this sound" kind of thing.

Not knocking your friend that did the brake job for you, but I would be very careful when having just anyone do your mechanic work for you.

You're an intelligent person, you can figure these phones out, changing brakes isn't that big a deal. With a broke foot and a bruised shoulder, I changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor on a buddy of mine's Suburban. It really isn't that hard.

A lot of the sites will even give you instructions on how to do the job. You can buy a service manual too, gives you step by step on most jobs. At the very least, getting familiar with the sites will give you an ideal of what a job should cost.

In regards to your brakes, the retail price on the best pads that autozone has are like $60 so if they used some generic pads, there's no way that they put rotors on too. At the very least the rotors should be resurfaced if they can be. Requires a machine shop or some of the parts houses do it too. They should also check the caliper for wear, as well as the hoses and lines.

Hope this helps! Text me if you need any other info!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gadget945 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 PM

he is my friends husband and luckily he was a master mechanic so i lucked out..he got a hell of a deal on the parts...
Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM
NOOB 4 EVER
Mobile Model: Touch Pro
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 1,370 Times in 335 Posts

View gadget945's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View gadget945's Photo Album Add gadget945's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

that's awesome luck! glad to hear that. was just worried because the costs didn't sound right. didn't want anything falling off on you.... LOL - that would have been bad!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gadget945 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Mobile Model: HtC ToUcH PrIzZo 2
Mobile Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,710 Posts

View GokuSS3's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View GokuSS3's Photo Album Add GokuSS3's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by gadget945 View Post

that's awesome luck! glad to hear that. was just worried because the costs didn't sound right. didn't want anything falling off on you.... LOL - that would have been bad!
Yeah it didn't for that kinda car I was telling where i work is was less than half of what she posted. So i am also glad that you got hooked up!!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GokuSS3 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2009, 06:04 AM

2 back rotors and 2 pads, he got a hell of a deal.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tlpalmer01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2009, 11:15 AM

2 back rotors and 2 pads, he got a hell of a deal.....
'
not the worse price than for sure, i get the hookups also so any time you need it i got you covered as long as the parts dont cost a boat load and a half lmao... and you can never complain about saving some cash without using geico.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:09 PM

thanks dash............never underestimate the power of the dash....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tlpalmer01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2009, 07:17 PM

thanks dash............never underestimate the power of the dash....
hahahhahahahaaa i wouldnt quite say that sense the power has misguided before lmao..... if i was only robotic.
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
brakes, car