Old 07-31-2009, 09:51 PM
iamdasht19 iamdasht19 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Microsoft kills Windows Mobile Brand, Births Windows Phone

intomobile.com/2009/07/30/microsoft-kills-windows-mobile-brand-births-windows-phone.html

Guess there looking for a fresh new start?

Today, we learn that Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) is planning on ditching, nay killing, the Windows Mobile brand. What about Windows Mobile 6.5? Windows Mobile 7? Nope, it’ll be known as Windows Phone. The change also applies to past WinMo platforms. From this point forward all Windows Mobile 6.x operating systems will be referred to as Windows Phone.

Rather than stick with a household (at least in the mobile world) name like Windows Mobile, Microsoft wants to distance themselves from all the bad press that the Windows Mobile platform has generated over the years. There’s also talk of “un-boggling” consumers’ minds so that the brand “reflects the upcoming desktop operating system release where people away from their PC can have the same experience everywhere.” Right, now we’re all less confused.

So, to recap. If this report is on point, Windows Mobile is no more. Windows Phone, people. Learn it, love it.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 07-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Mobile Model: Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: $print

Thanked 2,366 Times in 774 Posts

View PsyChoTk's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View PsyChoTk's Photo Album Add PsyChoTk's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Microsoft kills Windows Mobile Brand Births Windows Phone

so......no wm 7 in name? more like windows phone 7?

i don't care it's called as long as it's finger friendly, speeds up my phone, and extends my battery life.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PsyChoTk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2009, 11:45 PM
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
Mobile Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 6,468 Times in 1,715 Posts

View Mike20PR's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Mike20PR's Photo Album Add Mike20PR's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I support the move to a name change to get a fresh start and relieve themselves of the bad rep winmo has given them.... But could have they done better than windows phone?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike20PR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2009, 12:49 AM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post

I support the move to a name change to get a fresh start and relieve themselves of the bad rep winmo has given them.... But could have they done better than windows phone?
i have to agree with you there mike, basically what they are doing is they are dropping the bad rep that windows mobile got for being non finger friendly to a new name in windows phone where they are going to be starting to go more finger friendly.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2009, 12:53 AM
The VenumX Factor
Mobile Model: HTC Touch PRO

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,192 Posts

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

i have to agree with you there mike, basically what they are doing is they are dropping the bad rep that windows mobile got for being non finger friendly to a new name in windows phone where they are going to be starting to go more finger friendly.
They better live up to their new name. If they thing now is the time to switch their name then they have to make sure to maintain that new name :P which is a good thing for us

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2009, 03:31 AM
Mobile Model: tpro
Mobile Carrier: sprint

View only1penny's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View only1penny's Photo Album Add only1penny's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

i think this is pretty stupid. does everyone remember the ford taurus? and then they changed the name to the five hundred, remember that? remember how no one cared because everyone knew it was a taurus with a different name. and then to further demonstrate what a great idea it was they changed the name back to taurus. it's pretty obvious that people want the better product not the better name. how about making a better product and saying "the new windows mobile.....it's better" instead of "windows phone......just another in the ever revolving microsoft products" at least that's what i think
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to only1penny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Mobile Model: tmobile wing
Mobile Carrier: tmobile

View jdep1's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View jdep1's Photo Album Add jdep1's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by only1penny View Post

i think this is pretty stupid. does everyone remember the ford taurus? and then they changed the name to the five hundred, remember that? remember how no one cared because everyone knew it was a taurus with a different name. and then to further demonstrate what a great idea it was they changed the name back to taurus. it's pretty obvious that people want the better product not the better name. how about making a better product and saying "the new windows mobile.....it's better" instead of "windows phone......just another in the ever revolving microsoft products" at least that's what i think
you are kindda right on that in a way.. but what there doing is changing the name just to say that they have improved there product and its much better that there old one also to atract new consumers into the windows world without that bad reputation.. I just hope they stick to there word just like i have stuck to them
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdep1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2009, 11:21 AM

Re: Microsoft kills Windows Mobile Brand, Births Windows Phone

i can see where you are coming from but i feel this is one of the only things that can save windows mobile..... the main reason i feel that way is because they are being blown out of the water by iphone, android, and now webos. With all these companies being successful and Palm being back after wm thought they beat them off with a stick but like a pest they are back.... all the above mentioned devices are finger friendly so why not start a new era with leasving behind the past of windows mobile and all the torubles people know them for and start with a fresh title and outlook to see if they can make wm better.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2009, 04:59 PM

View only1penny's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View only1penny's Photo Album Add only1penny's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

i hear what youre saying, but disagree. we look forward to windows 6.5 and windows 7 and now windowsphone. but theyre not trying to impress us. theyve got us. do you think the average iphone user is really gonna go "microsoft phone, ill have to try that out" hell no! the friends that i have that use an iphone think there phone is way better. even if they have a 1st gen iphone. palm pre got rave reviews & so did android. thats why theyre hot right now. they have a good product, not a new or catchy name. theres to many blogs & youtube vids etc. for something to not catch on if its good. people want good, good gets around........like spj
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to only1penny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2009, 05:19 PM

View PsyChoTk's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View PsyChoTk's Photo Album Add PsyChoTk's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

M$ should have developed the platform before now. I really don't see why they didn't absorbe or buy out the better third party apps devs back in the day. i remember when SPB came out with pocket plus. DAMN that was HOT!!! I think M$ really didn't catch on until the iphone took off. no stylus and finger friendly is the way to go. I'm excited about manila 2.5 and how it took over the whole UI.

I'm looking forward to M$ developing WM7 or whatever to a stylus free application.

as a side note on ppcgeeks there is/was talk of M$ planned on leaving the clock in the title bar not the battery meter. in the vid the battery meter is in the task bar so hopefully the final product will have the battery meter.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsyChoTk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2009, 05:27 PM

i hear what youre saying, but disagree. we look forward to windows 6.5 and windows 7 and now windowsphone. but theyre not trying to impress us. theyve got us. do you think the average iphone user is really gonna go "microsoft phone, ill have to try that out" hell no! the friends that i have that use an iphone think there phone is way better. even if they have a 1st gen iphone. palm pre got rave reviews & so did android. thats why theyre hot right now. they have a good product, not a new or catchy name. theres to many blogs & youtube vids etc. for something to not catch on if its good. people want good, good gets around........like spj
yea but for those that dont know about the past it is totally different than windows mobile and they will see the new name and what it is all about with touch friendliness.... it will bring a new crowd of people in if they market it correctly.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2009, 05:29 PM

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH

it will bring a new crowd of people in if they market it correctly.
yup, and maybe the'll keep the loyalists and bring back some who left for the past issues.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsyChoTk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2009, 06:15 PM
SPJ Supporter/Promoter
Mobile Model: Pre/ Touch Pro 2

Thanked 1,624 Times in 486 Posts

View ON3/\L's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ON3/\L's Photo Album Add ON3/\L's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I am all for change when it comes to Winmo. I think they should do better than just Windows tho. But hey... whatever works. I don't care what they call it. And I'm tired of saying Windows mobile anyway, time for a new name with a bnew attitude and a new approach headed in a new direction. I'm down. Like anything else, SOME will think it's stupid because they DON'T understand the reason OR they just don't like change blah blah blah. But owell, it's 2010 *****es get with the program! Everything is ****ing changing and the shit that isn't will be left behind. I would like Windows to market this correctly so people would shut the hell up and realize that Windows is the ssshhhh and stop hating. IMO Windows is better and easier to customize than any other os out there!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ON3/\L For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Mobile Model: htc touch pro

View merdinh's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View merdinh's Photo Album Add merdinh's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I also think this is a good idea for a fresh new start. But they could have built back up their reputation just like with the xbox 360, at first they were crappy with the 3 rings of death and some other defects with limited warranty, and many switched to a ps3, but then brought in a extended 3 year warranty, and now they even offer a 1 year warranty to the consoles no longer in warranty that get a repair. Just like that windows mobile needs to come out with something big, and support it unlike most other platforms, where they built in that windows Update feature on our phones but whats the point when it never gets any updates.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to merdinh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 12:42 PM

hey oneal, i'm wit ya. i'm all for change and improvement and winmo phones. and i hope anything they do is hit out of the park and i'm sure i'll be on board. i was just saying the name doesn't need to change. if it does coo, i'm wit it. i just hope the improvements come with the name. i'm pumped for a better product.....no matter what they call it.

--------- New Post Merged on 2/8/2009 at 0106 --------

also did they give any sort of time frame for release?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to only1penny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 01:36 PM

“ Originally Posted by only1penny;

also did they give any sort of time frame for release?
I'd like to know too. I just hope they don't delay it like they have in the past. Like getting WM2003SE in 2005...........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsyChoTk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 04:38 PM

“ Originally Posted by PsyChoTk View Post

I'd like to know too. I just hope they don't delay it like they have in the past. Like getting WM2003SE in 2005...........
well this name starts immediately for all phones and devices that have at least wm 6.0 installed if thats what you mean.... or you talkinga bout the release date for wm7? if so its going to be around middle of 2010 from what i hear.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 05:21 PM

well this name starts immediately for all phones and devices that have at least wm 6.0 installed if thats what you mean.... or you talkinga bout the release date for wm7? if so its going to be around middle of 2010 from what i hear.
WM7, sorry, i just don't want to get my TP2 in late 2010 with WM6.1..........like the i930.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsyChoTk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Mobile Model: HTC 6800
Mobile Carrier: Cellular south
Mobile OS: 5.0

View qrazy08's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View qrazy08's Photo Album Add qrazy08's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

well thats good point
The Following User Says Thank You to qrazy08 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2009, 01:03 AM
The VenumX Factor

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I just dont understand why they picked the name windows phone was it something to do with iPhone?? they think the name is what sells it? if so why not call it winPhone OS or something Windows Phone just sounds so lame. Name it like Windows ToGo or something creative...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2009, 01:25 AM

“ Originally Posted by VenumX View Post

I just dont understand why they picked the name windows phone was it something to do with iPhone?? they think the name is what sells it? if so why not call it winPhone OS or something Windows Phone just sounds so lame. Name it like Windows ToGo or something creative...
or just name it something well known and catch sounding like Mobile D/\SH or MD for short might hasve the docs getting it too just for the name hahaha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2009, 01:29 AM

or just name it something well known and catch sounding like Mobile D/\SH or MD for short might hasve the docs getting it too just for the name hahaha
OMG thats narcissistic. Funny as hell but narcissistic.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsyChoTk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2009, 04:29 AM

Oh, so i'm already running windows phone on my device. wow, it kind of seems the same as windows mobile....actually it seems exactly identical to windows mobile. maybe my first thought was correct. they're changing the name instead of changing the product for the better : (
Old 08-04-2009, 01:14 PM

Oh, so i'm already running windows phone on my device. wow, it kind of seems the same as windows mobile....actually it seems exactly identical to windows mobile. maybe my first thought was correct. they're changing the name instead of changing the product for the better : (
naw they are going for the more finger friendly look in 6.5 and 7 thus the change of the name since everything is more touch friendly with your finger these days.... would love to not have to worry about stylus' all the time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 PM

naw they are going for the more finger friendly look in 6.5 and 7 thus the change of the name since everything is more touch friendly with your finger these days.... would love to not have to worry about stylus' all the time.
even now i find i pull that damn stylus out for no reason. i'd love to just be able to glue in in the phone forever.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsyChoTk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2009, 01:24 PM

“ Originally Posted by PsyChoTk View Post

even now i find i pull that damn stylus out for no reason. i'd love to just be able to glue in in the phone forever.
hahahaha word me too and than it goes straight to the mouth and i chew on the top black plastic part hahhaha
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2009, 01:42 PM
The VenumX Factor

hahahaha word me too and than it goes straight to the mouth and i chew on the top black plastic part hahhaha
hahah yesss the worst thing is when im doing phonebook transfers for customers to their TP or whatever and I find myself chewing on THEIR stylus LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO im just like oops

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Mobile Model: Touch P.R.O. 2

View hctr68's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View hctr68's Photo Album Add hctr68's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

yeah MS did a smart move to change the name windows phone hope it works so we can keep doing what we do on our phones. and no more stylus wich I dont even use just pull it out because its there, thatl make new comers happy so they can actually use more of the touch feature on the phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hctr68 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2009, 02:49 PM

hahah yesss the worst thing is when im doing phonebook transfers for customers to their TP or whatever and I find myself chewing on THEIR stylus LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO im just like oops
OMG.............................gross............. ........blah
Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 PM

hahahah but venum is slick and starts to rub his lip with it and than slowly moves it away from his mouth like it didnt happen hahaha i dont know its just i gotta chew it when i have it out which is rarely... i have tetth marks in mine rihgt now hahhaa
The Following User Says Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Mobile Model: htc touch pro

Thanked 2,355 Times in 750 Posts

View tlpalmer01's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View tlpalmer01's Photo Album Add tlpalmer01's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

its nice to see im not the only one that does that............
The Following User Says Thank You to tlpalmer01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 PM

“ Originally Posted by tlpalmer01 View Post

its nice to see im not the only one that does that............
hhahaha weird that this thread came up sicne i just flashed and made a video for goku and setting my phone up right now with the stylus nowhere else but in my mouth being chewed on hahhaa
Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 PM

hhahaha weird that this thread came up sicne i just flashed and made a video for goku and setting my phone up right now with the stylus nowhere else but in my mouth being chewed on hahhaa
you all are stuck in your oral stage of development.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch Pro2
Mobile OS: 5.0

View reebis44's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View reebis44's Photo Album Add reebis44's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

well this name starts immediately for all phones and devices that have at least wm 6.0 installed if thats what you mean....
Then it's stranged that they still have the name Windows Mobile even on their website. In fact, I just googled "Windows Phone" and nothing has it branded as such. The only results that have the name are other sites that are announcing the same news.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:02 PM

“ Originally Posted by reebis44 View Post

Then it's stranged that they still have the name Windows Mobile even on their website. In fact, I just googled "Windows Phone" and nothing has it branded as such. The only results that have the name are other sites that are announcing the same news.
right but this staerts quarter four or q1 of next year.... they are going to change the other wm6.0 on release and above when this all happens..... wm6 is the turning point for them is what they are basically stating,
Old 08-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Mobile Model: Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: SPrint

View BigBadWolf77's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View BigBadWolf77's Photo Album Add BigBadWolf77's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

The whole thing is stupid if you ask me. No one will reffer to it as the Windows Phone. It would be different if Microsoft actually made the phone. They don't, and I can guarantee you that the averaged ppc user has no idea what operating system is on their phone. I sat in a meeting next to a guy last week who had his Touch Pro out, and I tried to talk to him about it. He told me it was a touch pro and that it didn't run windows mobile. If Microsoft starts making phones, then call that the Windows Phone. They have a marketing department whose job it is to come up with crap like this. I agree with the Ford Taurus story someone told. Who cares..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBadWolf77 For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
births, brand, kills, microsoft, mobile, phone, windows