ARTICLE: Tidbit Tuesday: Google Voice with your own number; HTC Droid Eris

Random Community Topics

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 PM
phillynewsnow phillynewsnow is offline   Thread Starter  
Site Moderator - Staff

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View phillynewsnow's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View phillynewsnow's Photo Album Add phillynewsnow's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
ARTICLE: Tidbit Tuesday: Google Voice with your own number; HTC Droid Eris

Since we can’t actively cover every news article that breaks (as much as we would love to), PhoneDog compiles various news announcements and press releases that have been published throughout the week and places them in one easy to read article known as "Tidbit Tuesday." Enjoy!

Use Google Voice with your own number
I'm prone to change my number quite often, so I find Google Voice to be incredibly helpful in giving me solidarity when it comes to a telephone number. That being said, if you prefer to use your own number with the program, you can. Effective today, Google Voice users can sign up and use the program's included voicemail inbox instead of their wireless carrier's solution. Features include customizable voicemail prompts (i.e. one for Mom, one for friends, one for business) and voicemail transcription. Google Voice is available by invitation only at this time. Via Google

HTC Droid Eris to run Android 1.5, have a 528 MHz processor
Though the concept of a lower-end and high-end device makes sense, the idea of launching them on the same day makes me wonder how sales will go. According to rumors, the HTC Droid Eris will sport a 528 MHz processor and Android 1.5, noticeably less powerful than the Motorola Droid. Via Engadget Mobile

RIM publishes interview with BlackBerry Storm 2 Product Manager
Though the original BlackBerry Storm quickly earned a love or hate rating, the Storm 2 has received quite a bit of praise. In lieu of the device launching tomorrow, RIM posted an interview with BlackBerry Storm 2 Product Manager Yasser Mirza on their Inside BlackBerry blog. The keyboard has been an area of concern, and Mirza addresses it in the interview:Question: What was the biggest challenge you faced while developing the BlackBerry Storm2 smartphone? How did you overcome it?

Answer: The biggest challenge was ensuring the enhanced SurePress™ technology worked and worked well. It's the SurePress technology that makes the BlackBerry Storm2 smartphone touch screen 'clickable' and unique in the market for touch screen smartphones. There were two primary issues of focus for us:

1. Getting the touch screen click to feel 'just right'.
  2. Integrating the navigation keys as part of the screen to function with the new SurePress technology. This provided a host of new challenges!
How did we overcome these issues? Iterate. Test. Repeat. =D

The full interview can be found on Inside BlackBerry.

Read More From Source
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
article, droid, eris, google, htc, number, tidbit, tuesday, voice