ARTICLE: How your cell can be used to put you under surveillance

Random Community Topics

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10-29-2009, 09:50 PM
phillynewsnow phillynewsnow is offline   Thread Starter  
Site Moderator - Staff

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View phillynewsnow's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View phillynewsnow's Photo Album Add phillynewsnow's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
ARTICLE: How your cell can be used to put you under surveillance

Imagine this: You lose your phone in a taxi, a restaurant, a party or even just out in the street. Lucky you, some kind person calls the first friend in your addressbook, and soon you’ve got your phone back. It happens all the time. (It’s happened to me at least a few.) A nervewracking moment, followed by a happy ending — end of story, right?

But what if the phone-finder isn’t a kind stranger? What if the person is an opportunist out to take your money, steal your identity or even just satisfy some inner neurosis by spying on you. In today’s world, this isn’t too hard to believe. More importantly, it isn’t hard to do.

The WhyTelecom blog recently posted a video from WAVY-TV (Virginia) featuring a news report the station aired last year. It shows how frighteningly easy it is to turn a mobile phone into a surveillance tool. The guy in the video downloads software and spends just 10 minutes with the reporter’s handset. Now he’s got remote activation that lets him eavesdrop on calls as well as live conversations (using the built-in speakerphone function), observe text messages and track the owner’s location via GPS.

It didn’t surprise me that the tech is there to support this kind of illicit functionality, but seeing it in action sent shivers up my spine. Phone calls to the bank, keystrokes for various account numbers, directions for friends leading to your address (which, combined with GPS, lets people know when you’re not home) — all of this potentially laid bare to someone with dishonest intentions. The worst part? It can be done without you — the owner — having any idea that it’s going on.

What’s the takeaway here? Never, ever let your phone out of your sight.

To see the video, click here.

[via WhyTelecom]

Read More From Source
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phillynewsnow For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2009, 10:43 PM
NOOB 4 EVER
Mobile Model: Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 1,370 Times in 335 Posts

View gadget945's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View gadget945's Photo Album Add gadget945's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re ARTICLE How your cell can be used to put you under surveillance

Can we get a copy of this to put on my daughter's phone??? Please???

Old 10-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Mobile Model: sprint htc touch
Mobile Carrier: sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

View bill's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View bill's Photo Album Add bill's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: ARTICLE: How your cell can be used to put you under surveillance

thats crazy i would hate to lose my phone for some a hole to end up with it
Old 10-30-2009, 11:08 PM
mzlady26
Mobile Model: Touch PRO
Mobile Carrier: SPRINT
Mobile OS: 6.5

View mzlady26's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View mzlady26's Photo Album Add mzlady26's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: ARTICLE: How your cell can be used to put you under surveillance

i would haunt the person that stole my phone. lol i would have fun doing it too.
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
article, cell, surveillance