ARTICLE: Confirmed: Verizon raising early termination fees for high-end dev

Random Community Topics

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11-04-2009, 01:50 PM
phillynewsnow phillynewsnow is offline   Thread Starter  
Site Moderator - Staff

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View phillynewsnow's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View phillynewsnow's Photo Album Add phillynewsnow's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
ARTICLE: Confirmed: Verizon raising early termination fees for high-end dev

With highly subsidized offerings like Verizon's BlackBerry BOGO deal and Apple's iPhone (combined with a high eBay demand), the opportunity to activate a new line, sell the equipment, and pay the early termination fee (ETF) is lucrative. There have been plenty of times where I've tried a device and instead of returning it to the store (and dealing with countless customer service people in an attempt to cancel the line without penalty), I've sold it and paid the termination fee. At times, I have actually made money doing it that way. I find it to be much easier than returning the device, calling in, canceling the line, having them adjust the bill, and making sure they refunded the ETF properly.

Verizon Wireless appears to be seeking a halt to this type of behavior, as current rumors are pointing to a new termination fee pricing scheme, beginning on November 15th. While normal devices will be priced at the normal $175, "high-end" devices will be slapped with an early termination fee of $350, decreasing by $5 monthly. It's safe to say that "high-end" encompasses the BlackBerry Storm2, Tour, HTC Touch Pro2, and Motorola Droid - though no specific definition was mentioned in the rumor.

With a $350 ETF, Verizon is beginning to push the full retail price point, and my thought is that people might skip signing the contract and opt for paying full retail instead. What say you?

Update: As of 11/4/09 at 11:00 AM, the ETF rumors have been confirmed - see here.

Via: BGR

Read More From Source
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phillynewsnow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Mobile Model: TP One
Mobile Carrier: sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View ppopper78's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ppopper78's Photo Album Add ppopper78's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: ARTICLE: Confirmed: Verizon raising early termination fees for high-end

Thats how I would have put it too. Most of the high end devices you can at least get a couple hundred out of them to go towards the fees. Verizon phones are good to have cause you can swap most of them between carriers anyway so its a valued phone anywhere like att. I remember when i was charges 700 bucks when I left verizon, it sucked and I never paid for it but had it dropped from my credit report cause they could not come up with the proof in thirty days that i ever had an account with them.

Post New ThreadReply

Tags
article, confirmed, dev, early, fees, highend, raising, termination, verizon