Notices

ARTICLE: Has Tmo’s HSPA 7.2 Mbps network rollout begun?

Random Community Topics

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11-05-2009, 03:30 PM
phillynewsnow phillynewsnow is offline   Thread Starter  
Site Moderator - Staff

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View phillynewsnow's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View phillynewsnow's Photo Album Add phillynewsnow's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
ARTICLE: Has Tmo’s HSPA 7.2 Mbps network rollout begun?

In a previous post, I got slammed for perceived bias against T-Mobile. I mentioned the voice outage that affected various users across the country, coupled with the Sidekick/Danger data gaffe, and implied that cost savings might not be worth this kind of hassle. Truth is, if any carrier was plagued with these kinds of issues within such a short period of time, I would’ve called them out the same way, so I wasn't apologetic then. But I might be eating my words now — especially if that recent blowout had anything to do with what I’m about to report:

It seems Tmo is preparing to launch its new HSPA 7.2Mbps 3G network. Not only that, but various subscribers are already experiencing sudden bouts of fast speeds. The guys at AndroidandMe confirm that on average, users — specifically in Chicago and New York City — are getting 5.4Mb/s and 3.8Mb/s, respectively. (Apparently, a simple reboot is all that’s needed to enable the crazy fast 3G connectivity.)

While there hasn’t been an official announcement on the rollout yet, most are predicting it will happen by the end of the year.

This puts everything in a new light. T-Mobile’s official word on the outage was that it was due to a back-end system software glitch that resulted in “abnormal congestion,” but there were no specifics mentioned of why or how that happened — or which back-end system caused the gaffe. TmoNews wonders if it could be tied to this 7.2 rollout.

Oh boy, if that’s true:

Then I am truly sorry, Magenta, for besmirching your network. Rollouts are never smooth, and if errors happen in the course of upgrading to a lightning fast new 3G network, then it’s all for the good. No, not good — really amazingly great. So I’m sorry, Tmo. I like your funky personality. I love your customer service. And your phone lineup is getting better by the day. So can we be friends again? Please?

As for all the Tmo customers in the house, are you experiencing a boost in 3G speeds? Report in and let us know. (If you’re wondering how to check, AndroidandMe has the following how-to: “Download the Xtreme Labs Speedtest and post your results (make sure WiFi is turned off). Run the test a couple times and share what you find. If your phone is rooted, tether it to your laptop/netbook and try running a test on speedtest.net. I have found I received much higher download speeds when tethered vs. just testing on an actual device.”)

Via: AndroidandMe, TmoNews, PhoneArena, PhoneScoop

Read More From Source
The Following User Says Thank You to phillynewsnow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: ARTICLE: Has Tmo’s HSPA 7.2 Mbps network rollout begun?

not bad this is going to drive some att users tmobiles way just for the speeds and them starting to get the devices backing it up.... congrats to t-mobile subscribers when this does get released and att it just keeps getting worse for you huh?
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
article, begun, hspa, mbps, network, rollout, tmo’s