ARTICLE: Though DroidDoes 100,000 units, DroidDoesn't beat iPhone

Random Community Topics

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11-10-2009, 07:30 PM
phillynewsnow phillynewsnow is offline   Thread Starter  
Site Moderator - Staff

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View phillynewsnow's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View phillynewsnow's Photo Album Add phillynewsnow's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
ARTICLE: Though DroidDoes 100,000 units, DroidDoesn't beat iPhone

While DroidDoes bash the iPhone, DroidDoesn't come close to the weekend sales numbers of the popular smartphone.

At least that's the estimate coming from Broadpoint AmTech analyst Mark McKechnie. According to his math, Verizon Wireless had approximately 200,000 Motorola Droid units available at launch, and the nation's largest wireless carrier was able to liquidate approximately half of their inventory last weekend.

“I see the first few days as encouraging,” McKechnie said in a statement to Bloomberg. “There seems to be pretty good demand -- they’ve taken the right steps and picked a good partner with Google on the Android side."

The weekend sales numbers go up against Apple's iPhone 3GS, which sold over 1 million units during its weekend debut in June. There are many ways to compare the two, and the comparison may not be fair given Apple's App Store and the availability in numerous countries. Keeping that in mind, the device is clearly marketed by Verizon as a direct competitor to the iPhone, yet the estimates are closer to the Palm Pre's debut numbers (50,000) then those of the 3GS.

McKechnie went on to say that Motorola would sell approximately 1 million Android devices in the fourth quarter, and 10 million in 2010. All competition aside, it's nice to see Motorola in the game again.

Via: Bloomberg

Read More From Source
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phillynewsnow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: ARTICLE: Though DroidDoes 100,000 units, DroidDoesn't beat iPhone

it is nice to see motorola back in the game but if the iphone sold over 1 million units world wide in june how is there a questions that the droid would outsell sicne they only had 200,000 untis to sell total..... that part doesnt make sense but cant wait to try this for myself so i can have an opinion on this as well and actually have used them both extensively.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Addict
Mobile Model: Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

View roopull's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View roopull's Photo Album Add roopull's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

A more accurate account of things would be to see how many phones running any version of Android sold vs. how many iPhones (original, 3G, and 3Gs) sold in the same amount of time.

Actually, I'd like to see the numbers for all the big players... Palm, RIM, WinMo, Google, and Apple.

Point being, Apple has all their smartphone sales wrapped up in 3 models.
WinMo is on at least 154 models (according to CNET)
Android is on.. um.. 15 (according to Cnet)
Palm has 3 dozen

Then again, now that I look at it, they also list 14 models of iPhones. They break 'em up by hard drive size, too. But, that just reiterates my point. How many sales over a given span of time per OS?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by roopull View Post

A more accurate account of things would be to see how many phones running any version of Android sold vs. how many iPhones (original, 3G, and 3Gs) sold in the same amount of time.

Actually, I'd like to see the numbers for all the big players... Palm, RIM, WinMo, Google, and Apple.

Point being, Apple has all their smartphone sales wrapped up in 3 models.
WinMo is on at least 154 models (according to CNET)
Android is on.. um.. 15 (according to Cnet)
Palm has 3 dozen

Then again, now that I look at it, they also list 14 models of iPhones. They break 'em up by hard drive size, too. But, that just reiterates my point. How many sales over a given span of time per OS?
word and with the different sizes fitting different people that will help with the sales as well on top of thoe good ole die hard apple fanboys..... apple has one of the strongest fan bases around in all honesty... its very rare you see an apple person leave for something like windows or wm.... they just like things simple i would have to guess and dont like the total tweaking like us wm and even android guys as well as the webos which is also linux based just like android.... i feel android is going to be the next big thing though for sure and wm will stay at 3 unless they dont do anything for years and let palm and the webos overtake them like wm did to palm back in the day.
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
000, 100, article, beat, droiddoes, droiddoesnt, iphone, units