Mac Studio users complain about high-pitched ?whining? sound

AVN News Feed

Post New ThreadReply

Old 04-29-2022, 04:48 AM
phillynewsnow phillynewsnow is offline   Thread Starter  
Site Moderator - Staff

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View phillynewsnow's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View phillynewsnow's Photo Album Add phillynewsnow's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

When Apple releases brand new products, users sometimes face issues. That’s understandable in the tech industry, though. No matter how much a company tests a product prior to releasing it, there’s a chance problems won’t surface until the masses start using it. We’ve probably all heard about Antennagate and Bendgate from past iPhone models. The latest oopsie to affect an Apple product is now haunting Mac Studio users. Several online complaints indicate that some models — mostly M1 Max ones — are producing a high-pitched “whining” noise from the back. The emitted sound is reportedly very distracting and obvious to users. MacRumors reader sunsetblvd has shared their experience:
Hi, I’ve been following this thread and wanted to share my experience with the Mac Studio. I ordered the M1 Max version with 32 Core GPU and 64 GB Ram. After a week or two I started noticing a high pitched whining sound. The ordinary fan noise was audible but not disturbingly so. The high pitched sound was sth I couldn’t ignore. I have a relatively quite working space and the sound kept being distractive. I decided to take my studio to the apple store after contacting apple support and trying a bunch of software fixes like reinstalling the os. After a day of inspection the tech guy at the apple store claimed it was just normal fan noise within the expected range of noises and said they couldn’t do anything about it. Disappointed I called apple support again and they agreed to send me a replacement, which I am currently waiting for.

According to MacRumors, this issue is also affecting replacement units. Whether it’s a hardware defect that would require a product recall or a software bug that is fixable through an update is unknown. It’s worth mentioning, though, that not all M1 Max Mac Studios are affected by this problem. The causes behind this remain unclear for the time being. Considering M1 Max and M1 Ultra Mac Studios have different cooling systems, though, it’s safe to assume that the M1 Max’s heatsink is behind it.

Is your Mac Studio producing a whining sound? If so, which chip variant do you have? Let us know in the comments section below.

Source: MacRumors

The post Mac Studio users complain about high-pitched “whining” sound appeared first on XDA.

More...
Old 01-27-2024, 02:59 PM
phillynewsnow phillynewsnow is offline   Thread Starter  
Site Moderator - Staff

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View phillynewsnow's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View phillynewsnow's Photo Album Add phillynewsnow's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Rss Feed Don?t forget: Today?s the day ads come to Netflix for T-Mobile users

Credit: Kris Carlon / Android Authority

• Starting today, all T-Mobile subscribers using the Netflix On Us promo will be down- or side-graded to the Standard with Ads plan.
  • That means ads will start appearing in your Netflix streams, and some content will become wholly unavailable.
  • You can get back to the Standard or Premium plan if you want, but you?ll need to pay T-Mobile the difference.

Earlier this month, we told you about T-Mobile?s plan to downgrade or sidegrade all of its subscribers? Netflix plans. If you?re not a T-Mobile subscriber, the company?s Netflix On Us promotion ? running since 2017 ? gives you a free Netflix subscription. Previously, this included the Basic Netflix plan, which offered the full ad-free Netflix experience at 720p.

However, Netflix retired the Basic plan and introduced the Standard with Ads plan, which upgrades you to 1080p but includes ads and restricts streaming of some content. Following suit, T-Mobile is changing the perk to be for this newer plan, and the change starts today. In other words, if you have free Netflix through T-Mobile, you will start seeing ads in your streams today.

If you can?t stand the ads, you do have options, although none of them are free. The easiest option would be to pay T-Mobile to upgrade you to the Standard or Premium plans Netflix offers. This would cost you $8.50 each month for Standard or $16 for Premium (a savings of $6.99 monthly in either instance). The other option would be to cancel Netflix On Us and pay a friend to add you to their ad-free Netflix account. You could also forego T-Mobile altogether and cancel the Netflix On Us promo and sign up directly through Netflix, although this would be silly because then you?d be paying full price for Standard or Premium ($15.49 and $22.99 monthly, respectively).

There is, of course, another option, which would be to cancel Netflix entirely.

In similar news, T-Mobile is also rolling out the new Hulu On Us promo today. This comes with ads, too, and also a slew of caveats. Check out our roundup on T-Mobile?s free Hulu offer for more.

More...
Post New ThreadReply