Scatch on Touch

Random Community Topics

Post New ThreadReply

Old 03-07-2008, 11:45 AM
frezin77 frezin77 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: touch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View frezin77's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View frezin77's Photo Album Add frezin77's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Scatch on Touch

I recently got a scratch on my Touch and was wondering if anyone has used a solution used for removing scrathes on eyeglasses. I came across this website www.podshop.com/idrops and wanted to see also if anyone has used this product or the like. Did it work and does it effect the screen if a screen protector is placed over it?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Mobile Model: Htc Touch Pro 1 & 2
Mobile Carrier: Kaos
Mobile OS: 7.0

Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,164 Posts
Uploads: 1

View kaos's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View kaos's Photo Album Add kaos's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Scatch on Touch

i use the screen protector for my mogul..responds fine...one thing you have to check is the ingredients in the product...like windex the ammonia can actually destroy the touch sensors over time...
Old 03-08-2008, 06:21 AM
frezin77 frezin77 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: touch

View frezin77's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View frezin77's Photo Album Add frezin77's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

are there any other indegridents that I should be aware of that can affect the touch sensors on the screen
Old 03-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by frezin77 View Post

are there any other indegridents that I should be aware of that can affect the touch sensors on the screen
nope just ammonia like you find in window cleaner..... for the scratch you cannot use eyeglass scratch repair, or anything that dries hard because it will effect the touch screen sensors. are you having any problems with the touch screen working around the scratch and how deep is it? i found this to work a while back for me follow the directions carefully and you should be good....

Earlier I mentioned that the product "Rain-X" improved the condition of the scratched screen on the used Pilot 1000 I purchased. I have successfully used the following method to restore the screen with the exception of a small "nick". Don't try this if you have any hesitation about it. I am posting this for those compulsive Pilot owners who, like me, want as smooth a screen as possible and find that screen protectors are too "mushy".

Disclaimers aside, let's start by defining terms:
- "rough area" a part of the screen where you can feel that the stylus isn't moving smoothly, but you can't see any scratches
- "scratch" the rough area has visible lines that can be seen by reflected light
- "nick" a small pit can be seen easily; it causes a distinct "snick" that is easily felt when the stylus crosses it

This method removes rough areas and scratches, and will reduce the effect of a nick, but cannot remove a nick.
How to do it:
1. Gather these materials:
- Rain-X
- Instant Krazy Glue
- cotton Q-tip
- lint-free soft cloth
- small square of aluminum foil
2. Find a well-ventilated workspace.
3. Squeeze several drops of Krazy Glue onto the aluminum foil.
4. Wet one end of the Q-tip with Rain-X.
5. Stir the Krazy Glue with the wet Q-tip end until it is absorbed into the Q-tip.
6. Apply the wet Q-tip to the rough and scratched areas of the screen, repeatedly making small circles until the area to be treated is covered and is hazy. The Q-tip may dry out some during the process.
7. Let the Pilot screen dry.
8. Take the soft lint-free cloth and buff the treated area. The haze may spread, and you may see small flecks on the screen, but continued buffing will remove them.
9. When the screen is clear, look at it using reflected light. The rough areas and scratches should be invisible, or barely visible. Nicks will still be there but may look shallower.
10.Let the treated area dry for half an hour.
11. Run the stylus over the treated area. It should be almost as good as new -- on my screen, except for the nick, it -is- as good as new.

What I think is happening:
The siloxanes in the Rain-X and the Krazy Glue form a thin plastic "varnish" that fills and adheres to the scratches in the Pilot's plastic screen. Buffing away the "haze" removes the excess and, except for the deeper nicks, restores the smoothness of the original plastic.

Disclaimer:
Just because it worked for me, this may not work for you. You may have a screen full of deep scratches. The plastic in your Pilot screen may be different. You may get a different brand of Krazy Glue or Rain-X. The heavens may just hate you. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, DON'T DO IT! But enough people have commented on scratched screens, and this seems like a cheap fix, better than breaking your screen and sending it back, and better than using screen protectors if you find them difficult to apply and "mushy" to use
Old 03-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Mobile Model: HTC 6800

View g3xtrem's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View g3xtrem's Photo Album Add g3xtrem's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Buy a $5 can of brasso and get some microfiber cloth or cotton, and just gently swipe the screen and it should go away.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:02 AM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by g3xtrem View Post

Buy a $5 can of brasso and get some microfiber cloth or cotton, and just gently swipe the screen and it should go away.
brasso has some ammonia in it doesnt it?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:18 AM
Mobile Model: HTC 6800

View g3xtrem's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View g3xtrem's Photo Album Add g3xtrem's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Not sure, but brasso is a metal polisher, its a mild abrasive, what it'll do is take off a very thin layer of your screen, so you no longer see the scratch
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
scatch, touch