Mike20PR Mike20PR is offline   Thread Starter  
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
Mobile Model: Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 6,468 Times in 1,715 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View Mike20PR's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Mike20PR's Photo Album Add Mike20PR's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Apple wins patent for iPhone multitouch-screen controls [ughhhh]

Code

http://mashable.com/2009/01/26/apple-multi-touch-patent/
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/34848
Apple Gets Their Multi-Touch Patent; Is Palm Screwed?
January 26, 2009 - 6:34 pm PDT - by Jennifer Van Grove 47 Comments

The US Patent Office has signed, sealed, and delivered a late Christmas present to Apple. On January 20th, the powers that be awarded patent #7,479,949, titled Touch screen device, method, and graphical user interface for determining commands by applying heuristics, to Apple. Essentially, Apple wins the war on their multi-touch technology and other copycats should be shaking in their boots.

apple multitouch patent

The patent, which was originally filed on April 11, 2008, is a long detailed description of the technology, with the abstract reading:

“A computer-implemented method for use in conjunction with a computing device with a touch screen display comprises: detecting one or more finger contacts with the touch screen display, applying one or more heuristics to the one or more finger contacts to determine a command for the device, and processing the command. The one or more heuristics comprise: a heuristic for determining that the one or more finger contacts correspond to a one-dimensional vertical screen scrolling command, a heuristic for determining that the one or more finger contacts correspond to a two-dimensional screen translation command, and a heuristic for determining that the one or more finger contacts correspond to a command to transition from displaying a respective item in a set of items to displaying a next item in the set of items.”

And if MacRumors is right about Tim Cook’s intentions to aggressively take legal action against those ripping off Apple’s intellectual property, then the yet to be released to the public Palm Pre, which supports swiping and pinching, could find itself in a sea of turmoil.

Tim Cook has been quoted saying that, “Well, I don’t want to talk about any specific company. I’m just making a general statement that we think competition is good. It makes us all better. And we are ready to suit up and go against anyone. However, we will not stand for having our IP ripped off, and we’ll use whatever weapons that we have at our disposal. I don’t know that I could be more clear than that.”

We can’t wait to see how this all plays out. Let us know your thoughts and predictions in the comments.

More Discussions Here.....

Code

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=55114
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=476342

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike20PR For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Apple wins patent for iPhone multitouch-screen controls [ughhhh]

i dont think that they should have got the patent for the mere fact that it is technology and multi-touch like that is a huge part of the future and if they have the rights to it they are limiting what the devices will be in the future and what can even be placed in them electronics wise..... i hope apple doesnt get all overboard and start sueing others over stuff like this...... i guess we will jsut have to see if apple decides to be a dick or not...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Mike20PR Mike20PR is offline   Thread Starter  
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
Mobile Model: Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 6,468 Times in 1,715 Posts

View Mike20PR's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Mike20PR's Photo Album Add Mike20PR's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

i dont think that they should have got the patent for the mere fact that it is technology and multi-touch like that is a huge part of the future and if they have the rights to it they are limiting what the devices will be in the future and what can even be placed in them electronics wise..... i hope apple doesnt get all overboard and start sueing others over stuff like this...... i guess we will jsut have to see if apple decides to be a dick or not...
I also read where Apple is going to patent the way you type on your pc keyboard. Essentially they will be protecting the way your finger interacts with the keys. And soon, they will be patenting the way you eat...and the way you sleep....etc.

I doubt that it will go through but Apple is so muthaf*kin greedy

they are scared that Palm, Android and WM7 will crush them

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike20PR For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Mobile Model: Motorola Rizr Z3
Mobile Carrier: Tmobile

View Evolancer13's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Evolancer13's Photo Album Add Evolancer13's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

im not surpised they havent tried to patent 3g or the color black or white...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evolancer13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2009, 03:31 PM
The Man with the Plan!
Mobile Model: Mogul/Touch/IPHONE3G
Mobile Carrier: Sprint,AT&T,T-Mobile

Thanked 4,700 Times in 1,421 Posts

View ICEM/\N's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ICEM/\N's Photo Album Add ICEM/\N's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by Evolancer13 View Post

im not surpised they havent tried to patent 3g or the color black or white...

lol...man you you guys really hate Apple...lol...well I am neutral in the matter since I love my windows mobile devices and still like my iPhone...oh well...Palm Preor not...I will always have the best of both worlds...looks like Palm may have to turn the burners off...lol

Old 01-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by ICEM/\N View Post

lol...man you you guys really hate Apple...lol...well I am neutral in the matter since I love my windows mobile devices and still like my iPhone...oh well...Palm Preor not...I will always have the best of both worlds...looks like Palm may have to turn the burners off...lol
im not sure sicne the government just gave them all that money to stay afloat they might still be able to release it sicne it was built before the patent.... you never know though
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
apple, controls, iphone, multitouchscreen, patent, ughhhh, wins