Post New ThreadReply

Old 05-29-2009, 11:08 PM
cookz123z cookz123z is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: palm pre
Mobile Carrier: sprint
Mobile OS: WebOS

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View cookz123z's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View cookz123z's Photo Album Add cookz123z's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Cant connect to xbox live

thought there would be someone here that would tell how i can connect to xbox live using my laptops wireless connection and using linux os
The Following User Says Thank You to cookz123z For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2009, 01:40 AM
The VenumX Factor
Mobile Model: HTC Touch PRO
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,192 Posts

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Cant connect to xbox live

“ Originally Posted by cookz123z View Post

thought there would be someone here that would tell how i can connect to xbox live using my laptops wireless connection and using linux os
there are 2 ways, one you need an ethernet cable and enable internet sharing on ur laptop and the other is to just buy an xbox 360 wireless adapter for ur 360. gonna copy and paste from this link: Supplies:
Laptop connected to internet
Xbox 360
Ethernet Cable (comes with Xbox, can use any other though)

1. First, have your xbox turned on. Also have your PC on, since this next part is all with the computer. This will probably work with a wired connection as well (but you could probably just hook straight up to your router or modem then), but here it is. First go to start and go into your control panel. Switch to classic view by using the link in the top left corner of the window. Find Network Connections and open it.

2. You should see a "Local Area Connection" (unconnected, this is for the connection to the Xbox) and your internet connection (mine is called "Wireless Network Connection"). Connect the ethernet cable to your laptop and to the back of the 360. Enable the "Local Area Connection". After it is completely connected, disable your internet connection, in my case "Wireless Network Connection". Once is it disable, right click the internet connection and click properties. Go to the Advanced tab and check off "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection." Allow this to finish, it may take a little bit. Once it is done, your internet connection should say shared next to the status of the connection.

3. Enable your internet connection. Once it is fully connected, right click the "Local Area Connection" and click repair. Allow that to finish. On your Xbox, find the system panel and navigate through it until you find "Test Connection to Xbox Live". Test the connection. If it works, congratulations, you don't need this next part. For some, at this point, they get a DNS error. There are a number of ways to fix this. None of them worked for me however (at least on the places I looked). So I found my own way. If my way doesn't work for you, then you can search in google for it and you should get a number of other troubleshooting tips.

4. You must have a connection to a router. If you have a wired connection to a modem, then I don't know what is the problem. In order to be able to navigate the internet again you need to disable the "Local Area Connection" and then repair the Internet Connection (follow steps above to enable everything again once you are done). Go to http://192.168.0.1 . You will be asked for a login. On most routers it is:
Username: admin
Password: (no password)

If this does not work, look up the login information for you router model. Once logged in, you must find where your DNS server IPs would be listed. I only have specific information for my router, so if you can't find it, look up where to find the IPs on your router model. My router is a D-Link DI-514. On the left side-bar, Wizard should be highlighted. On the top bar, click Status. Under WAN you should find DNS IPs. Manually input these into your Xbox (rather than have it find them automatically) and test your connection again. At this point it should be working. Any other errors can be search for online. I just felt that this specific one should be mentioned, because all the fixes available (AFAIK) did not work for me.

should work.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2009, 01:47 AM
Nickel Nickel NINE
Mobile Model: HTC DIAMOND
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 4,383 Times in 1,330 Posts

View TaylorSPJ's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View TaylorSPJ's Photo Album Add TaylorSPJ's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by VenumX View Post

there are 2 ways, one you need an ethernet cable and enable internet sharing on ur laptop and the other is to just buy an xbox 360 wireless adapter for ur 360. gonna copy and paste from this link: Supplies:
Xbox 360

1. First, have your xbox turned on. Also have your PC on, since this next part is all with the computer. This will probably work with a wired connection as well (but you could probably just hook straight up to your router or modem then), but here it is. First go to start and go into your control panel. Switch to classic view by using the link in the top left corner of the window. Find Network Connections and open it.

2. You should see a "Local Area Connection" (unconnected, this is for the connection to the Xbox) and your internet connection (mine is called "Wireless Network Connection"). Connect the ethernet cable to your laptop and to the back of the 360. Enable the "Local Area Connection". After it is completely connected, disable your internet connection, in my case "Wireless Network Connection". Once is it disable, right click the internet connection and click properties. Go to the Advanced tab and check off "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection." Allow this to finish, it may take a little bit. Once it is done, your internet connection should say shared next to the status of the connection.

3. Enable your internet connection. Once it is fully connected, right click the "Local Area Connection" and click repair. Allow that to finish. On your Xbox, find the system panel and navigate through it until you find "Test Connection to Xbox Live". Test the connection. If it works, congratulations, you don't need this next part. For some, at this point, they get a DNS error. There are a number of ways to fix this. None of them worked for me however (at least on the places I looked). So I found my own way. If my way doesn't work for you, then you can search in google for it and you should get a number of other troubleshooting tips.

4. You must have a connection to a router. If you have a wired connection to a modem, then I don't know what is the problem. In order to be able to navigate the internet again you need to disable the "Local Area Connection" and then repair the Internet Connection (follow steps above to enable everything again once you are done). Go to http://192.168.0.1 . You will be asked for a login. On most routers it is:

If this does not work, look up the login information for you router model. Once logged in, you must find where your DNS server IPs would be listed. I only have specific information for my router, so if you can't find it, look up where to find the IPs on your router model. My router is a D-Link DI-514. On the left side-bar, Wizard should be highlighted. On the top bar, click Status. Under WAN you should find DNS IPs. Manually input these into your Xbox (rather than have it find them automatically) and test your connection again. At this point it should be working. Any other errors can be search for online. I just felt that this specific one should be mentioned, because all the fixes available (AFAIK) did not work for me.

should work.
thats the default ip for a D-link, differnt brand routers have diffenent IP's

192.168.1.1=Linksys
username:admin
pss:admin

192.168.2.1=Belkin
no username/pass required

and then if your on dsl, it will be either 2wire.com to get to login, forgot the actual ip for it though....

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TaylorSPJ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2009, 01:49 AM
The VenumX Factor

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by TaylorSPJ View Post

thats the default ip for a D-link, differnt brand routers have diffenent IP's

192.168.1.1=Linksys
username:admin
pss:admin

192.168.2.1=Belkin
no username/pass required

and then if your on dsl, it will be either 2wire.com to get to login, forgot the actual ip for it though....
some linksys are also 10.10.10.1 :P

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Nickel Nickel NINE
Mobile Model: HTC DIAMOND
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 4,383 Times in 1,330 Posts

View TaylorSPJ's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View TaylorSPJ's Photo Album Add TaylorSPJ's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

some linksys are also 10.10.10.1 :P
lol, havnt used that ip in a while, for linksy switches right?? correct me if im wrong..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TaylorSPJ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2009, 01:53 AM
The VenumX Factor

“ Originally Posted by TaylorSPJ View Post

lol, havnt used that ip in a while, for linksy switches right?? correct me if im wrong..
yep yep.........

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2009, 02:13 AM
cookz123z cookz123z is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: palm pre
Mobile OS: WebOS

View cookz123z's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View cookz123z's Photo Album Add cookz123z's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

thanks,but im using Ubuntu 9.04 not windows

Xbox 360

should work.
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
connect, live, xbox