ICEM/\N ICEM/\N is offline   Thread Starter  
The Man with the Plan!
Mobile Model: Mogul/Touch/IPHONE3G
Mobile Carrier: Sprint,AT&T,T-Mobile
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 4,700 Times in 1,421 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View ICEM/\N's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ICEM/\N's Photo Album Add ICEM/\N's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Homebrew Pre firmware just a button cable away

Homebrew Pre firmware just a button, cable away?
by Chris Ziegler, posted Jun 12th 2009 of Engadget

“ Quote ”

If you were to put the Pre on a scale of hacker friendliness from 1 to 10, where 1 is the iPhone (remember how long it took for the first jailbreaks back in the day?) and 10 is, say, OpenMoko, we're starting to get the impression that Palm's latest effort falls somewhere way past the 5 mark. We got out first hint that they're being good sports about letting developers play with the Konami code access to developer mode, and now we've got news that it's easy -- nay, trivial -- to run whatever firmware you'd like on the phone. It seems all you've got to do is hold down the volume up key when connecting the Pre to your computer via USB, then you can flash the phone 'til you're blue in the face; even better, the enterprising dev who found the trick says that it's mega simple to modify the stock build and he'd wiped out the activation check with minimal effort. This can only be good news for tweakers and anyone wanting to walk off the App Catalog's beaten path, and if this ultimately means we're a few solid steps closer to a Pre running WinMo 6.1, sign us up. Way up.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ICEM/\N For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Mobile Model: 6800

View wataman's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View wataman's Photo Album Add wataman's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Homebrew Pre firmware just a button cable away

im no expert.. seriously.. please excuse my ignerance. its messed up that web os app store has a palm os app but not a wm app. how bout a wm emulator app for web os. i mean wouldnt wm just slow the pre down/make the device less responsive.... who isnt loving web os? and okay if its the PRE's hardware that makes it so smooth, when can i expect palm or more probable htc to step up to the plate? again im sure that i have just made an a** of myself by this post but i really do want to know. sorry for being to lazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to wataman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2009, 02:04 AM
The VenumX Factor
Mobile Model: HTC Touch PRO
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,192 Posts

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Homebrew Pre firmware just a button cable away

meh wm on pre would defeat the purpose of buying the pre... haha.. i agree a WM emulator would be cool, although unlikely... the reason palm came out with a Palm emulator for the release of the pre is because they needed to come up with a way to overcome the objection "Oh but the iPhone has XXXXXXX number of apps in its app store" with the Palm OS emulator they can now say, yeah well the Pre has wayyyyy more applications than that through the Palm OS emulator!! They also had the code for the original Palm OS so its not too hard to make an emulator when you have the code. WM emulator on the other hand would probably get them a lawsuit from Microsoft if it was released by Palm :P

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
button, cable, firmware, homebrew, pre