gadget945 gadget945 is offline   Thread Starter  
NOOB 4 EVER
Mobile Model: Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 1,370 Times in 335 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View gadget945's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View gadget945's Photo Album Add gadget945's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
My daughter might work for sprint

VENTING ---- VENTING ---- VENTING

Okay, dunno if anyone remembers about the grief that my 15 year old has given me of late. Many sleepless nights, and many irritation filled days.

I was in a bit of a pickle today/yesterday (haven't been to sleep yet, so it's still today... LOL)

I was really irritated with her today because I had restricted her phone, blocked the text messaging, and changed her voicemail code.

BTW - she has a Samsung M520.

Okay, so I was checking current usage on my son's phone (same model) because I had used it and was looking for a number. I see all these calls back to back to his sister's phone. I know he was asleep at the time that the calls were made. Thought that was odd, so I checked her usage.

Between calls from her brother, she was making calls to her friends.

When I say I restricted her phone, I changed the lock code and used the "special numbers" option and also did the thing where I cleaned out her contacts and then locked her phone down to just be able to accept calls from her contacts only. She was getting "unavailable" calls in the middle of the night.

Well, I have her phone, changed the number again, and she only gets the phone now if I have to let her out of my sight for any length of time; grocery store, shopping, etc.

Every time I change the settings and lock code on her phone, she seems to be able to find a way to bypass it. Not sure if I have a clear understanding of how she was able to bypass the security I put in place, but if you go into one of the settings, you can suspend the security or something like that. Like I said, I don't know how she does it, but it's on the bill, it's not like I made it up.

When we first started with cell phones, it was simple, lock code and that was it. Then she was calling her voicemail and returning calls and/or making them through voicemail. Fixed that, or so I thought. Then she SHOWED me how she was able to bypass it by calling from her brother's phone and putting her number in and then resetting the code, checking VM and then calling back and changing it back to whatever the default was.

My pickle is this - she's 15, and every time her cell phone changes, it only takes her about a week before she figures out how to bypass all the settings. Drivers come in that don't know how to use their phones/iphones, she shows them how. She bypasses lock codes and resets them for them.

I hated having to give her props for being so cell phone savvy, but I was kinda proud of her too.

Okay, done venting now. Thanky!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gadget945 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 AM
The VenumX Factor
Mobile Model: HTC Touch PRO
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,192 Posts

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: My daughter might work for sprint

“ Originally Posted by gadget945 View Post

Okay, dunno if anyone remembers about the grief that my 15 year old has given me of late. Many sleepless nights, and many irritation filled days.

I was in a bit of a pickle today/yesterday (haven't been to sleep yet, so it's still today... LOL)

I was really irritated with her today because I had restricted her phone, blocked the text messaging, and changed her voicemail code.

Okay, so I was checking current usage on my son's phone (same model) because I had used it and was looking for a number. I see all these calls back to back to his sister's phone. I know he was asleep at the time that the calls were made. Thought that was odd, so I checked her usage.

When I say I restricted her phone, I changed the lock code and used the "special numbers" option and also did the thing where I cleaned out her contacts and then locked her phone down to just be able to accept calls from her contacts only. She was getting "unavailable" calls in the middle of the night.

Well, I have her phone, changed the number again, and she only gets the phone now if I have to let her out of my sight for any length of time; grocery store, shopping, etc.

Every time I change the settings and lock code on her phone, she seems to be able to find a way to bypass it. Not sure if I have a clear understanding of how she was able to bypass the security I put in place, but if you go into one of the settings, you can suspend the security or something like that. Like I said, I don't know how she does it, but it's on the bill, it's not like I made it up.

When we first started with cell phones, it was simple, lock code and that was it. Then she was calling her voicemail and returning calls and/or making them through voicemail. Fixed that, or so I thought. Then she SHOWED me how she was able to bypass it by calling from her brother's phone and putting her number in and then resetting the code, checking VM and then calling back and changing it back to whatever the default was.

My pickle is this - she's 15, and every time her cell phone changes, it only takes her about a week before she figures out how to bypass all the settings. Drivers come in that don't know how to use their phones/iphones, she shows them how. She bypasses lock codes and resets them for them.

I hated having to give her props for being so cell phone savvy, but I was kinda proud of her too.

Haha sounds like me a while back, like 8 years ago, when I would do the same with the cell. My parents would do anything in their power to disable it with lock codes, they even called the cell phone company to have the phone disabled, the thing is, unless you take the device away physically and hide it somewhere they wont find it and turn it off, there is always a way to get a communications device working again. You could tell that every time I figured out a way to get my phone working again my parents had a little smirk on their face as if they were proud but knew they couldnt say anything. Anyways it had become more like a game than a punishment at that point and my parents knew how much I liked challenges, so they eventually gave up and just hid the phone and turned it off, took the battery out. You should find her a job at sprint, definitely, we're always wanting people who know what they're talking about instead of hiring phone-illeterate people that just want an "in-between jobs" job. Only thing is more Sprint stores you have to be 18 to work there. :P anyways thought I'de throw in my little story for you gadget, tty on pal!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

sounds like you got a little hacker on your hands shes going to keep doing it so you may want to just take the phone from here when you arent home and if she needs you to use the house phone to get a hold of you.... only sure way that i can think that she wont be ablle to get through.... the security features can be easily figured out and if you can yourself you or a friend with the internet can use google for the answer that they are looking for.

“ Originally Posted by VenumX View Post

Haha sounds like me a while back, like 8 years ago, when I would do the same with the cell. My parents would do anything in their power to disable it with lock codes, they even called the cell phone company to have the phone disabled, the thing is, unless you take the device away physically and hide it somewhere they wont find it and turn it off, there is always a way to get a communications device working again. You could tell that every time I figured out a way to get my phone working again my parents had a little smirk on their face as if they were proud but knew they couldnt say anything. Anyways it had become more like a game than a punishment at that point and my parents knew how much I liked challenges, so they eventually gave up and just hid the phone and turned it off, took the battery out. You should find her a job at sprint, definitely, we're always wanting people who know what they're talking about instead of hiring phone-illeterate people that just want an "in-between jobs" job. Only thing is more Sprint stores you have to be 18 to work there. :P anyways thought I'de throw in my little story for you gadget, tty on pal!

hahahaaha word the thing that sucks is that i cant even get a call back from any of the sprint stores around here they all say im under qualified and im like WTF!!!!! you dont know what you missing on hahahhaha naw jsut messing but really cant get into the company in the state of muichigan and have been told by multiple stores thati was underqualified in the knowledge department of phones and thus why the other person got hired... so i than proceed to walk in on the first day of work for the new soul and proceed to make him cry by asking too many hard questions he doesnt know than i walk out with satisfaction and never had to worry bout mine getting taken away sicne i got my firt job at 14 pushing carts at meijer so i paid for my own
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Mobile Model: Sprint Pro
Mobile Carrier: 2963 DL speed REV A

Thanked 2,006 Times in 615 Posts

View broSki's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View broSki's Photo Album Add broSki's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

well one thing for sure is, if there is something she likes out there dont push it away from her or push her away from it b/c itll just make her want to know more and be more curious and will do/act her decisions out of spite. And we all know when kids act out of spite they make the wrong decision....so if she comes home with a HE, I suggest smile at him and act like his friend b/c then u will be able to manipulate her through him. if not then it will get worse. and believe me they will find a way unless u move to alaska or the galapagos island lmaooo.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to broSki For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Mobile Model: htc touch pro
Mobile Carrier: sprint

Thanked 2,355 Times in 750 Posts

View tlpalmer01's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View tlpalmer01's Photo Album Add tlpalmer01's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

sounds like a future smart phone junkie.......
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tlpalmer01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 08:21 PM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by tlpalmer01 View Post

sounds like a future smart phone junkie.......
that she does than we can have 2 generations of gadgets running around here.... and have you ever thought of letting her use a back smartphone or something to mess around with on SPJ and other sites as a hobby for her? maby it would keep her out of trouble a little bit in theory... you could still set up on your computers firewall bloockage to sites you dont want her going to and messenger services so she cant talk to her friends.... just a thought since i know that spj has kept me out of trouble in instance where in the past i would have gone out and been in trouble doing something i knew i shouldnt be....... spj is a drug but of the good kind
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 08:41 PM
The VenumX Factor

View VenumX's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View VenumX's Photo Album Add VenumX's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

that she does than we can have 2 generations of gadgets running around here.... and have you ever thought of letting her use a back smartphone or something to mess around with on SPJ and other sites as a hobby for her? maby it would keep her out of trouble a little bit in theory... you could still set up on your computers firewall bloockage to sites you dont want her going to and messenger services so she cant talk to her friends.... just a thought since i know that spj has kept me out of trouble in instance where in the past i would have gone out and been in trouble doing something i knew i shouldnt be....... spj is a drug but of the good kind
I agree, SPJ is a really good hobby and keeps my mind focused on other things. I used to do much more destructive things on computers, but now im on SPJ and peaceful! haha, plus it would be good to get her around the family we have at SPJ to give her another family to fall back on if she needs any suggestions or help from people other than her awesome mom :P

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch
Mobile Carrier: Bell

Thanked 1,491 Times in 532 Posts

View raybond25's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View raybond25's Photo Album Add raybond25's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I agree, SPJ is a really good hobby and keeps my mind focused on other things. I used to do much more destructive things on computers, but now im on SPJ and peaceful! haha, plus it would be good to get her around the family we have at SPJ to give her another family to fall back on if she needs any suggestions or help from people other than her awesome mom :P
and someone her own age to talk to? trust me, I'm harmless really!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to raybond25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 09:00 PM
The VenumX Factor

“ Originally Posted by raybond25 View Post

better watch out rayray gadget will defend her daughter to the death, specially from canadians, YUCK

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 PM

hahahah and than in the staff area your talking about going to france to tap that shit and all.... she isnt going to allow you anywhere near her daughter hahahaa

better watch out rayray gadget will defend her daughter to the death, specially from canadians, YUCK
yuck canadiens bigger yuck to french canadians, biggest yuck to the asses that breed canadians and french and leave us with this atrosity.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 PM

View raybond25's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View raybond25's Photo Album Add raybond25's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Easy there. We're nice folks up here y'know .

hahahah and than in the staff area your talking about going to france to tap that shit and all.... she isnt going to allow you anywhere near her daughter hahahaa

yuck canadiens bigger yuck to french canadians, biggest yuck to the asses that breed canadians and french and leave us with this atrosity.
BUSTED! nah, that girl is completely different, i gotta weakness for the Europeans, eh? Besides, it'll keep me distracted (satisfied) enough so that i won't need to go after gadget's daughter in that way. Just a simple friendship, eh? Apparently she likes the older men anyways.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raybond25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 09:15 PM
The VenumX Factor

BUSTED! nah, that girl is completely different, i gotta weakness for the Europeans, eh? Besides, it'll keep me distracted (satisfied) enough so that i won't need to go after gadget's daughter in that way. Just a simple friendship, eh? Apparently she likes the older men anyways.
ohhh shittt gadgetts gonnaa killlll youuuuu

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 PM

ohhh shittt gadgetts gonnaa killlll youuuuu
I'm just playing. Not that I would mind talking to mini-gadget, but I would respectfully refrain from going any farther.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raybond25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2009, 12:12 AM
gadget945 gadget945 is offline   Thread Starter  
NOOB 4 EVER
Mobile Model: Touch Pro

Thanked 1,370 Times in 335 Posts

View gadget945's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View gadget945's Photo Album Add gadget945's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

LOL - y'all just crack me up.

She's only 15, but she thinks she's 20.

Hubby and I have discussed making Tshirts for her to wear at the shop that read ----

HI, my name is TINKY, and I am 15 and BOTH my parents love me and CARRY GUNS!!!

Don't know how folks would take that, but it might work, what do y'all think?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gadget945 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Mobile Model: HtC ToUcH PrIzZo 2
Mobile Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,710 Posts

View GokuSS3's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View GokuSS3's Photo Album Add GokuSS3's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Hubby and I have discussed making Tshirts for her to wear at the shop that read ----

I say you do it Gadget cause that is just straight out funny and you guys should where them haha. Don't think she would like that tho lol

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GokuSS3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2009, 01:55 AM
Mobile Model: tpro

View only1penny's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View only1penny's Photo Album Add only1penny's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

the bad guys are always ahead of the good guys! you just have to hope you did a good enough job on the 1st 15 yrs. i'd suggest pushing her in a certain direction rather than setting up road blocks or pretty soon she'll become a hurdler..........and get her on here, i need all the help i can get!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to only1penny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2009, 02:08 AM
The VenumX Factor

haha gadget that would be an amazing shirt, could you make a pink version of that shirt for me too actually, dont change the wording, i like it how it is; i would wear it everywhere. ray is only 15 too, I think that's why he's offering up his services to become her "friend" and to guide her down the right path..riiiighhhttt rayyy :P

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VenumX For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2009, 02:49 AM

haha gadget that would be an amazing shirt, could you make a pink version of that shirt for me too actually, dont change the wording, i like it how it is; i would wear it everywhere. ray is only 15 too, I think that's why he's offering up his services to become her "friend" and to guide her down the right path..riiiighhhttt rayyy :P
hahahah i was thinkingt he same thing i would love to wear a shirt like that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Mobile Model: XV-6800 (Flashed)
Mobile Carrier: Cricket

View DenverDev's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View DenverDev's Photo Album Add DenverDev's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

As i am sitting here and reading this a number of different ideas come to mind, but none of which are probably overly feasible......I seem to remember tha ton VZW they have something called like a "Firefly" which is actually designed for smaller children. Can only dial like 3 or 4 pre-programmed numbers and can only accept calls from those same numbers, I dont know if Sprtin has anything like that........another possible idea is to ditch the Sprint phone and have her get a simple Go phone or something where SHE has to keep buying the new minutes cards (which are outrageously expensive).....but a very simple phone with maybe voice only.....put the burden on her that f she wants to talk tothat much, she is paying for it......

My final suggestion is taken from several sources.....I work with kids ALOT and have two kids of my own (one special needs with Autism, the other with some psychiatric issues) and have come to learn a great deal from The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People (by Stephen Covey) and Love and Logic (by Jim Fay).......

From the 7 Habits there are two habits that I have had to use so often its almsot sick.......1) If you cant change the situation, change the way that you look at it.........2) Seek first to understand, THEn to be understood....

From Love and Logic, (1) let the CONSEQUENCES do the teaching.....(2) Demonstrate acceptance of responsibility by using "I" statements rather than "you" statements.....

(PM me for clarification if you want it, this post is going wwaaaaaaayyyy longer than I anticipated when i started)

Amazingly, even with the challenges that both my children have, I have see predominantly INCREDIBLE results......Perhaps even more amazingly, both of the thngs above are things that we naturally do with other adults, but seem to lose our damn minds about when we deal with our own children....I cant and wont say that it is easy at first.....but once in the swing of things, hopefully things overall will improve........

I wish you the best.......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DenverDev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2009, 06:28 PM
The One
Mobile Model: HTC Hero/ Palm Pre
Mobile OS: Android

View blazingfate's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View blazingfate's Photo Album Add blazingfate's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

hahaha....i'm sorry i'll answer to this soon but the shirt has me going. gadget you got yourself a clever one that wont accept the answer you give her as the only right answer. you know what that means.
The Following User Says Thank You to blazingfate For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Mobile Model: htc touch pro

Thanked 2,355 Times in 750 Posts

View tlpalmer01's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View tlpalmer01's Photo Album Add tlpalmer01's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

not to hijack thread but agree my brother in law is french canadian...lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tlpalmer01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2009, 06:36 PM

yes, venum you're right. i was not thinking anywhere past the age similarity, for the record.

yeah, they're definitely not as nice as the rest of the canadian population
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to raybond25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2009, 06:46 PM

hahahahah at first i thought you were going to say that my brother in law is french canadian how dare you hahahaa
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
daughter, sprint, work