Post New ThreadReply

Old 07-28-2009, 04:37 AM
only1penny only1penny is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: tpro
Mobile Carrier: sprint
Mobile OS: 6.5

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View only1penny's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View only1penny's Photo Album Add only1penny's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
wifi vs 3g

i was wondering what was faster, wifi connection or 3g connection? i have so many places that have wifi available but i never use it. what are peoples experiences and how often do people jump on wifi, and what for if there are certain reasons. you know what i mean guys, what are the +'s and the -'s. plz & thnx
The Following User Says Thank You to only1penny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: wifi vs 3g

“ Originally Posted by only1penny View Post

i was wondering what was faster, wifi connection or 3g connection? i have so many places that have wifi available but i never use it. what are peoples experiences and how often do people jump on wifi, and what for if there are certain reasons. you know what i mean guys, what are the +'s and the -'s. plz & thnx
depends on provider....... gsm are the ones that are truely 3g only...... if you are sprint which i believe you are (sorry hard to keep everyone straight and also just got up not too long ago) you would have rev a which is faster than 3g. wifi will drain your battery quicker and to my guess will be there until the data speeds for providers get faster than wifi speeds.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Mobile Model: HtC ToUcH PrIzZo 2
Mobile Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,710 Posts

View GokuSS3's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View GokuSS3's Photo Album Add GokuSS3's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I always use my phone for internet , wifi is faster but like Dash said depends where you are at. You never really relieze how fast the Sprint network is until you turn your phone into a wifirouter and you see how fast your internet runs off of your phone lol you would be amazed

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GokuSS3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2009, 01:38 PM

View only1penny's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View only1penny's Photo Album Add only1penny's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

yes, i've got sprint, with unlimited data. so you guys are saying that sprint with rev a is faster than 3g, but wifi is still faster. but wifi drains the battery more. is this correct? and how much faster is it? and do you definately jump on wifi for certain things? for instance, if you're at home and you have a wifi connection available, but you're just on the couch surfing the interweb on your phone. do you rev a or do you wifi? plz & thnx
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to only1penny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch & Pro!!
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 4,891 Times in 1,440 Posts

View crazaytalent's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View crazaytalent's Photo Album Add crazaytalent's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

yes, i've got sprint, with unlimited data. so you guys are saying that sprint with rev a is faster than 3g, but wifi is still faster. but wifi drains the battery more. is this correct? and how much faster is it? and do you definately jump on wifi for certain things? for instance, if you're at home and you have a wifi connection available, but you're just on the couch surfing the interweb on your phone. do you rev a or do you wifi? plz & thnx
yep that pretty mch sums it up... me personally... if im just casually surfing then it rev a all the way... but if im on the go... say at starbucks or something and need quick internet access to get say info on my next audition something... i take advantage and use the wifi... but if u just on the couch casually browsing, it makes no sens to use wifi, when itll just kill ur battery faster... thus shortening the time u have to browse... IMHO

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crazaytalent For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2009, 07:50 PM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by crazaytalent View Post

yep that pretty mch sums it up... me personally... if im just casually surfing then it rev a all the way... but if im on the go... say at starbucks or something and need quick internet access to get say info on my next audition something... i take advantage and use the wifi... but if u just on the couch casually browsing, it makes no sens to use wifi, when itll just kill ur battery faster... thus shortening the time u have to browse... IMHO
but if you are at home you would have your home charger next to you on the couch keeping your juice up there. hahahhaa sorry just had to
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2009, 02:50 PM

so, although it drains the battery, wifi is quicker than sprint 3g speed. like "lets have a race to get through some online stuff" and the money is on the wifi over the sprint 3g. correct?
Old 07-29-2009, 05:40 PM

so, although it drains the battery, wifi is quicker than sprint 3g speed. like "lets have a race to get through some online stuff" and the money is on the wifi over the sprint 3g. correct?
yes its faster than sprints rec a internet and yes as stated above already spritns revv a isnt as fast as wifi thats all there is too it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2009, 04:41 PM

appreciate it guys!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch & Pro!!
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 4,891 Times in 1,440 Posts

View crazaytalent's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View crazaytalent's Photo Album Add crazaytalent's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

but if you are at home you would have your home charger next to you on the couch keeping your juice up there. hahahhaa sorry just had to
hahaha... yes indeed my friend... but u ever notice then when runnin the net and chargin the phone will sometimes get real hot... and if it gets to hot, while running other process, itll stop charging? Thats why when im tethering or something, and doin a lot of online surfing browsing etc, i got keep my pro on a ziploc bag of ice (Ziploc bag to keep it waterproof from ice melting )... to keep it cool so itll contue charging for all that time... so I hope u got a good cooling method for all that simultaneus wifi and charging you doing...loL!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crazaytalent For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
wifi