Old 08-14-2009, 04:12 AM
CYBER WEESJE CYBER WEESJE is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: RHODIUM LEO 2.02
Mobile Carrier: 3G MOBISTAR
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 25,033 Times in 7,581 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View CYBER WEESJE's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View CYBER WEESJE's Photo Album Add CYBER WEESJE's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Official multitouch to appear in Android 20

Google Android fans have long been waiting for official multitouch support on Android devices, but Google has yet to offer any confirmation. Even at this year's Google I/O developers conference where multitouch was a hot topic, I only heard that "we don't know when it is coming." But after doing some digging and speaking to several sources with knowledge of the situation, it looks like Android users may finally get their wish this holiday season.

When is it coming?
Allow me to start with the rumor of the day. From what I understand, Android 2.0 will ship this year and will include multitouch support similar to what's found on the iPhone and the Palm Pre.This might sound far-fetched to some readers, but there is mounting evidence to back it up.

Several blogs have reported that Android will receive two more updates this year. I believe the first will be a minor update based on the Donut branch of Android. The second update, however, is likely to be a major refresh based off the Eclair branch.

The release schedule was recently echoed in a Reuters interview with Andy Rubin, director of mobile platforms at Google. Reuters reported that Donut will become Android 1.6 and Eclair will ship as Android 2.0.

So if Android 2.0 is coming this year, when exactly will it be released? Well, if the rumors are true, Google has chosen Motorola to showcase Eclair on one of its upcoming Android phones. A Moto phone is quite plausible given the recent comments from Motorola CEO Sanjay Jha, who said that his company is "100 percent" tied with Google. He characterized Moto and Google's relationship as "very solid" and said the two are coordinating their development effort.

Jha's comments fall in line with what I've seen about an upcoming device called the Motorola Sholes. Several sources have told me that Sholes, which could launch on Verizon Wireless before year's end, will be the flagship device for Google's Eclair release.

What will it offer?
Since Google apparently has decided to use the Android 2.0 branding this year, we can expect some significant upgrades to the mobile operating system. As previously mentioned, multitouch support is one of the most requested features. Android engineers have previously squashed hopes of seeing multitouch in the Donut update, but there is evidence that the company is working on it.

Google routinely drops new code into the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) that gives us a preview of what's coming in Android. Many independent developers use this open-source code to release custom versions of Android that you can flash onto a hacked phone. Cyanogen, one of the most active developers, said there is nothing in the Donut Android code for multitouch, but there are new kernel commits to support it.

Some handset manufacturers like HTC have included their own multitouch features in phones like the Hero, but adding the feature through a software upgrade would be different because Google is directly involved.

Google, Motorola, and Verizon have been extremely quiet with the exact details of this looming launch. With Motorola set to unveil its first Android phones at the upcoming Motodev Summit, we'll finally know its secret. And if everything turns out to be true, Verizon will have a hot smartphone and Google will have a worthy device for pitting Android 2.0 against the new iPhone OS 3.0. Prepare to be surprised.

DAMM GOOD NEWS IF I SAY SO MYSELF

SOURCE ORIGINAL POST

Code

http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-10307673-251.html
GRTZ CYBER WEESJE
ADMINISTRATOR@SPJ

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CYBER WEESJE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Mobile Model: iphone 3gs
Mobile Carrier: at&t
Mobile OS: Iphone

View claudius's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View claudius's Photo Album Add claudius's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Official multitouch to appear in Android 20

dam thats crazy the phone world is getting crazier everyday cant wait to see the realese
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claudius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2009, 11:35 AM
CYBER WEESJE CYBER WEESJE is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: RHODIUM LEO 2.02
Mobile Carrier: 3G MOBISTAR

Thanked 25,033 Times in 7,581 Posts

View CYBER WEESJE's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View CYBER WEESJE's Photo Album Add CYBER WEESJE's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by claudius View Post

dam thats crazy the phone world is getting crazier everyday cant wait to see the realese
hi yeah i love the evolution of all these new inprovements if you think then htc wil have 50% android on there device is this all good news

GRTZ CYBER WEESJE
ADMINISTRATOR@SPJ

The Following User Says Thank You to CYBER WEESJE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

word and im digging on my g1..... sure the original had multitouch too but not this innovative.
The Following User Says Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
android, multitouch, official