Old 09-05-2009, 06:55 PM
iamdasht19 iamdasht19 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
WebOS 1.2 Brings LED Notifications - But They're Not Enabled by Default

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWoR9H46MNQ

You read that right, LED notifications! WebOS 1.2 has brought its fair share of pleasant surprises, and this certainly seems to take the prize. One little catch: the code for this feature is commented out. This is similar to the add/remove pages hack; all the coding is done, it's just disabled for some reason.
After the break, all the technical details!
Discovered less than 24 hours ago, all that's needed is to remove the commenting from lines 54-55 and lines 248-251 in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.screenlock/app/controllers/securityconfig-assistant.js as well as uncommenting lines 92-97 and lines 101-103 in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.screenlock/app/views/securityconfig/securityconfig-scene.html then voila, you've got the option to enable "Blink Notification".
We pray that by the time WebOS 1.2 launches officially this little modification will be ready in Quilt, D2GlobalInc, and WebOS Quick Install tweak formats.
Once "Blink Notifications" is enabled, missed calls and pretty well any notifications received while the screen is off, will cause the center button LED to blink.
Not only that, but WebOS 1.2 with its "Blink Notifications" toggle finally fixes the Mojo function indicateNewContent(). Sharp-eyed developers will remember that particular API was implemented just before the SDK went public and up until now, never did anything. Now it works!
Mojo.Controller.StageController.indicateNewContent(hasNew)
Makes the core navi button pulsate if true. This is mainly intended to alert the user to dashboard events that desire user attention.

Parameters: hasNew {boolean}
So developers, if you want to add LED notifications to you app, there you go. That single line will toggle the LED blinking, it's just as simple as that. And you hackers out there, no more need to rely on bulky methods like SH scripts and services anymore, just that single line of code will add LED function to that patch of yours.
I'm liking the sound of WebOS v1.2 more and more, every hour that passes by.

originally found here:

Code

http://www.precentral.net/webos-12-brings-led-notifications
The Following User Says Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Mobile Model: HTC Vogue, Palm Pre
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

View tektoys's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View tektoys's Photo Album Add tektoys's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: WebOS 1.2 Brings LED Notifications - But They're Not Enabled by Default

since i moved on from my touch i still wonder if i made the right decision going with the pre, with the hero coming out in a few weeks and all that but i see so much potencial in the pre it being a true linux based device that got me hooked but then again android is pretty killer too, it's hard to predict the longevity of a device by the platform it runs on, now with android and webOS, the iphone and WM devices seem to be a thing of the past

Old 09-08-2009, 12:39 PM
iamdasht19 iamdasht19 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by tektoys View Post

since i moved on from my touch i still wonder if i made the right decision going with the pre, with the hero coming out in a few weeks and all that but i see so much potencial in the pre it being a true linux based device that got me hooked but then again android is pretty killer too, it's hard to predict the longevity of a device by the platform it runs on, now with android and webOS, the iphone and WM devices seem to be a thing of the past
i agree with you on the pre not living up to standards.... i know i am going to get a new one and than sell it coming up here real soon.... but for wm and iphone being placed on the burners for the hero i have to disagree, how do you get that? the tp2 has got much more publicity before the release than the hero has, the hero has been kept under wraps for sure but still that should create more talk and speculation....... iphone is still killing it too for sure, i feel the competition between these operating systems is going to mean just great stuff for us in the future
Old 09-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Vogue, Palm Pre
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

View tektoys's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View tektoys's Photo Album Add tektoys's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

true, i'm just trying to convince myself that it's ok to have the pre and these are the pitfalls of being an early adopter although i secretly wish that i would have waited for the hero or the TP2 even, i loved tweaking the hell out of my touch but hated the stability issues that came with that but such is the life of a junkie. although the iphone kicks our asses in regards to some aspects i still cant get over the fact of it being a status symbol rather than a tech wonder but that will never change. also with WM they have big things brewing with 6.5 and 7 soon so it's hard to take them out of contention. ultimately i was just fishing for redeeming qualities to convince myself to stick with the pre specially after they announced a price cut to be considered along with the launch of the hero (a week AFTER i bought mine) the power of the device is undeniable and the new webOS updates coming out fast and steady soften blows but i dont think that fact will matter when compared to out of the box functionality of the other new offerings BTW your blog rocked!!

Post New ThreadReply

Tags
brings, default, enabled, led, notifications, webos