Post New ThreadReply

Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 PM
521 521 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: HTC Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View 521's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View 521's Photo Album Add 521's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Ontario Canada New Law On Handheld Devices

Taken from the Ontario Canada news information site-

“ Quote ”

Ontario's New Rules For Hand-Held Wireless And Entertainment Devices:

September 30, 2009 10:39 AM

As of October 26, 2009, Ontario's new distracted driving law will make it illegal for motorists to use hand-held wireless communication devices or any hand-held electronic entertainment devices while driving.
This includes hand-held cell phones, texting and e-mailing.

Hands-free devices will still be permitted.
This new law also prohibits viewing a display screen unrelated to the driving task such as laptops or DVD players while driving.

HANDS-FREE DEVICES

The new law applies only to hand-held wireless communications and hand-held electronic entertainment devices. This means drivers must only use wireless devices that can be used in a "hands-free" manner:
  • a cell phone with an earpiece or headset using voice dialling, or plugged into the vehicle's sound system
  • a global positioning system (GPS) device that is properly secured to the dashboard or another accessible place in the vehicle
  • a portable audio player that has been plugged into the vehicle's sound system.
Some wireless devices require that users push a button to activate and/or deactivate the device's "hands-free" function. This activity is permitted under the law.

HAND-HELD DEVICES

All drivers

Drivers will not be permitted to use hand-held communication and entertainment devices when driving, with the following exceptions:
  • Calling 9-1-1 in an emergency situation
  • When the driver has safely pulled off the roadway and is stationary or is lawfully parked.
Other devices not included in the ban:
  • Viewing a display screen used for collision avoidance systems
  • Viewing a display screen of an instrument, gauge or system that provides information to the driver about the status of systems in the motor vehicle.
Emergency Response Personnel

Police, fire department and emergency medical services personnel will be permitted to use hand-held wireless communications devices and view display screens in the normal performance of their duties.

The use of hand-held radios by amateur radio operators (who provide assistance, especially in emergency situations such as severe storms and blackouts) will be phased out within three years, to allow hands-free technologies to be developed.

Commercial Drivers

A small percentage of drivers in transport-related industries (e.g., school buses, taxis, couriers) and public service workers (e.g., transit and highway maintenance workers) rely on the use of certain types of wireless devices and display screen technologies in the performance of day-to-day operations.

To help these businesses stay competitive, Ontario is granting a three-year phase-out period for the commercial use of two-way radios, including mobile and CB radios, to allow for hands-free technologies to be developed.

The new law will not affect mobile data terminals, logistical tracking devices and dispatching devices. They will be exempt for commercial and public service vehicle drivers who are engaged in the performance of their duties.

Hand-mikes (push-to-talk systems) and portable radios (walkie-talkies) may be used in a hands-free mode. This would mean the driver can use a lapel button or other hands-free application as long as the hand-mike or walkie-talkies is not held while driving.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 521 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
OG Member
Mobile Model: Pixel 7 Pro
Mobile Carrier: Metro PCS
Mobile OS: Android

Thanked 10,859 Times in 2,859 Posts
Downloads: 26
Uploads: 152

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: Ontario Canada New Law On Handheld Devices

yea, wepretty much have the same law,There's been a high rate of accident when drivers where on the phone while driving.but we can use the ear piece and or hands free devices.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by puertoblack2003 View Post

yea, wepretty much have the same law,There's been a high rate of accident when drivers where on the phone while driving.but we can use the ear piece and or hands free devices.
we dont have it yet in michigan by i wish they would because i cant tell you the amount of people that do or almost casue accidents becasue of texting, dialing, or talking on the phon while driving... i got pissed the other day when i saw this lady texting while driving 80 on the highway in a 70 mph zone with a small child in the babyseat in the bak... them type of people dont deserve to have a license and need to learn there kids are nmore important than that damn text message or call.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 PM
OG Member
Mobile Model: Pixel 7 Pro
Mobile Carrier: Metro PCS
Mobile OS: Android

Thanked 10,859 Times in 2,859 Posts
Downloads: 26
Uploads: 152

View puertoblack2003's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View puertoblack2003's Photo Album Add puertoblack2003's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

we dont have it yet in michigan by i wish they would because i cant tell you the amount of people that do or almost casue accidents becasue of texting, dialing, or talking on the phon while driving... i got pissed the other day when i saw this lady texting while driving 80 on the highway in a 70 mph zone with a small child in the babyseat in the bak... them type of people dont deserve to have a license and need to learn there kids are nmore important than that damn text message or call.
yea i hear ya we had some fatalities here in philly and in our job is forbidden not even the ear piece, because we deal with the elderly and the impaired.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:59 PM
521 521 is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: HTC Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

View 521's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View 521's Photo Album Add 521's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Heh... wife and I were on our way home from work the other day, and ran up behind a lady trying to text on her phone while driving. I probably wouldn't have noticed, but she was taking all three lanes going back and forth due to being so engrossed in her conversation. She was totally oblivious to her surroundings, almost sideswiped a number of cars, including my CVPI. I was going to hit my siren, but wife wouldn't let me, thinking it would startle her and she'd have an accident. I'll bet if she heard the siren and looked next to her and saw some guy in uniform staring at her she'd have had an accident, but it would have been IN her car rather than with her car. *smirk*
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
canada, devices, handheld, law, ontario