ARTICLE: Musings from the Pound: Verizon's assault against Apple and AT&T

Random Community Topics

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10-20-2009, 05:50 PM
phillynewsnow phillynewsnow is offline   Thread Starter  
Site Moderator - Staff

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View phillynewsnow's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View phillynewsnow's Photo Album Add phillynewsnow's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
ARTICLE: Musings from the Pound: Verizon's assault against Apple and AT&T

If you're in any way entrenched in the wireless industry, be it as a fan or writer, you've seen the Verizon Wireless commercials and campaign surrounding their coverage and the Motorola Droid. Once known for the "Test Man," Verizon has moved on (albeit temporarily) to a more agressive approach. Known for dry, relatively boring commercials, the new "Verizon vs. AT&T," and more recently, the "iDon't, but DroidDoes" campaign are phenomenal attacks against AT&T and Apple. And what's more, the Apple and AT&T camps have been notoriously silent with a rebuttal.

The fact is, AT&T's 3G coverage area is significantly less than Verizon's. And, despite the technological advancements that the iPhone made when it came to market in 2007, it doesn't have a five megapixel camera. Nor does it multitask. Unlike most advertising campaigns that seek to derail competitors, Verizon isn't making any special promises. They're simply showing what their network and upcoming devices can do.

Will AT&T and Apple respond? I'm sure they will. On AT&T's side, expect to see the recurring "the fastest 3G coverage in the nation" theme, and from the Apple camp, a lot of flashy Apple logos and reinforcement of the 85,000-strong App Store. Besides that, I can't find any other entrances to which they can respond to Verizon's claims. My professional opinion? Unleash Android and webOS on your subscribers. Shed the claim that you "only have the iPhone." Build your smartphone arsenal. And most importantly, improve your coverage. Stop ignoring customer complaints about sub-par coverage.

What say you? Is the campaign smart, or are they barking up the wrong tree by fighting with Apple and AT&T? Can they keep up the battle, and from a monetary perspective (which seems to be the most important issue of all) is it going to successfully sway customers to Big Red?

Read More From Source
Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: ARTICLE: Musings from the Pound: Verizon's assault against Apple and AT

wow very well worded and i agree fully with what was said.... verizon is trying to take over the cell phone market and world in a fellow swoop..... this is great for verizon and horrible for at&t and bad for everyone else. if you catch yourself switching over to verizon send me a pm and ill give you my name so we can both make 25 bucks in referall credits.
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
apple, article, assault, atandt, musings, pound, verizon