ARTICLE: Review: OtterBox Commuter Case for BlackBerry Tour 9630

Random Community Topics

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10-21-2009, 05:10 PM
phillynewsnow phillynewsnow is offline   Thread Starter  
Site Moderator - Staff

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View phillynewsnow's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View phillynewsnow's Photo Album Add phillynewsnow's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
ARTICLE: Review: OtterBox Commuter Case for BlackBerry Tour 9630

What's Good: Feels great in the hand and while talking; good build quality; doesn't hinder typing.

What's Bad: Somewhat challenging to charge/sync while the case is installed.

There's no doubt about it - OtterBox makes a great case, and thanks to the good folks at the company, I've had the privilege of spending the last week with the Commuter Case for the BlackBerry Tour. To be frank, I have never been a huge fan of cases. Typically, I'll either carry the phone around by itself, or use a BlackBerry holster. What's more, many cases have a history of build quality concerns. Over the past few weeks, I've spoken with several Tour owners that have purchased various cases, only to have them break shortly thereafter. The build quality and overall durability of the OtterBox case is noticeable. Honestly, I'm so impressed after testing the Commuter Case that I plan to purchase one for my personal use.

The case itself is actually comprised of two pieces: a rubber skin and a hard plastic back. To install the case, slip the skin onto the device, and clip the plastic on the back of the unit. OtterBox also includes a complimentary screen protector and microfiber cleaning cloth. To remove the case, pull off the plastic backing, followed by the rubber skin.

I love how it feels both in the hand and while you're using the phone. It's not too thick, but by the same token, you can see that it's durable. With this thing installed, you won't have to worry about scuffs and scratches. It's also tapered off enough where it doesn't affect typing, which case manufacturers are notorious for doing. There's nothing more frustrating than not being able to type a "Q," "P," or any other border key due to the case overlapping the keyboard. Not so with the Commuter Case. As you can tell from the picture above, it ends right at the chrome border. I was also pleased with the built in flaps to protect the headphone jack and microUSB port from dust and the occasional drop of rain.

The only (small) challenge I've encountered with the Commuter Case is charging and syncing the device. The built-in hole for the charging port is just a bit too small, and while you can still fit the USB cable and charger in the slot, it collides with the rubber housing instead of clicking into the microUSB port. If you're leaving the device alone, it's fine, but it's near impossible to charge while texting. During my testing, I was constantly knocking the charger out due to it not being securely fastened in the port. That being said, it's not a huge hindrance, and the case can be installed and uninstalled with ease if it becomes an issue.

All in all, I am incredibly pleased with the Commuter Case, and would recommend it to anyone that needs a durable solution for their Tour. The OtterBox Commuter Case for the BlackBerry Tour 9630 costs $34.95, and can be purchased here. Check out the pictures below!

Read More From Source
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
9630, article, blackberry, case, commuter, otterbox, review, tour