Notices

ARTICLE: First Impressions: BlackBerry Storm2 (Verizon)

Random Community Topics

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10-28-2009, 06:00 PM
phillynewsnow phillynewsnow is offline   Thread Starter  
Site Moderator - Staff

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View phillynewsnow's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View phillynewsnow's Photo Album Add phillynewsnow's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
ARTICLE: First Impressions: BlackBerry Storm2 (Verizon)

Almost one full year later, RIM and Verizon Wireless are at it again with the BlackBerry Storm2, their second attempt at a full touchscreen BlackBerry device. Despite the relatively strong sales numbers, reports of build quality problems, typing issues, and the like surfaced on the internet within moments of the device launching. Months and numerous software revisions later, the world (and more specifically, the BlackBerry community) is well aware of the original Storm frustrations.

My BlackBerry Storm2 came in today, and I'll be the first to admit - I was nervous. I carried the original Storm twice - once when it first came out (that very day, to be exact), and a second time in early 2009. Both times, I wanted to love the device. It offers RIM's award winning e-mail solution, a giant touchscreen, and it's centered around multimedia. Based on the paper specifications, I wanted it. However, in the history of my love for all things RIM, the Storm was the first BlackBerry device that I have ever returned out of dissatisfaction. Needless to say, I wanted the Storm2 to blow it out of the park. The form factor was there from the beginning; the phone just needed some tweaks when it came to typing, as well as some screen improvements to become a great media-centric BlackBerry.

Here's what I like about the BlackBerry Storm2:

• The improved SurePress display: This improvement is major. Not only does the screen stay in place (seriously, there's no movement like the old Storm), but the new SurePress display is mounted on four electronic actuators that generate an impulse when the screen is pressed. In other words, the "clicking" of the screen on the new device is completely electronic, unlike the original. When the Storm2 is powered off, the screen doesn't move. When it's on, it clicks similarly to the old device. What you'll notice right away is that the "click" itself is much more crisp, and more consistent across the board. Remember how on the original, one corner of the screen would click differently than another? Not the case here. For the first time, I can type at almost the same speed as I can on a QWERTY-enabled BlackBerry device.
  • The modified design: It's not incredibly different, but it's a bit more curvy, and falls in line with RIM's latest design scheme. The four buttons at the bottom are now a part of the screen (though they are independent from the SurePress screen - if you click them, the phone will power back on). I also like the rubberized buttons on the side, as the chrome had a tendency to rub off after owning the device for a period of time.
  • OS 5.0.0.320: As the first device to support the OS at launch, it seems to supplement the Storm2 well. Operating the device seems to be quick, and the accelerometer speed is noticeably faster. And threaded text messaging out of the box - finally!
The Storm2 excites me because it's genuinely a great product, it's proof that RIM can bridge the divide between "professional" and "multimedia," and more importantly, it's the company's first legitimate stab at the touchscreen market. Everything I love about the BlackBerry product, it has, along with everything I love about touchscreen devices (particularly, the iPhone - I hate to compare it, but it's true). My favorite improvement isn't a physical device improvement, but rather that with the launch of the Storm 2, non-BlackBerry users will finally view the device as a legitimate alternative to other touchscreen devices on the market. More Storm 2 owners translates into a higher market share for the BlackBerry brand. The original Storm missed the boat, but I can safely say that the Storm 2 is the first legitimate contender in RIM's corner.

Believe me, I'll be running this device through its paces, so stay tuned for more reviews, comparisons, and more! In the meantime, enjoy the pictures below.

Read More From Source
The Following User Says Thank You to phillynewsnow For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: ARTICLE: First Impressions: BlackBerry Storm2 (Verizon)

this looks nice but i still hate how the whole screen moves in one piece everytime a touch is made.... i think that over time of a longer message or email that your fingers and hands would start to get tired pretty quickly. they change the screen and get it stable and i feel the love for the device would go through the roof for many people...
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
article, blackberry, impressions, storm2, verizon