ARTICLE: Offbeat News: Americans send 4.1 billion text messages daily

Random Community Topics

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11-11-2009, 03:20 PM
phillynewsnow phillynewsnow is offline   Thread Starter  
Site Moderator - Staff

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View phillynewsnow's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View phillynewsnow's Photo Album Add phillynewsnow's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
ARTICLE: Offbeat News: Americans send 4.1 billion text messages daily

Yep, you read the title correctly - Americans send approximately 4.1 billion text messages on a daily basis.

That works out to 14 text messages per day by every mobile phone user in the United States (keep in mind that this number is an average - the texting teenager is probably sending far more messages than the bank executive). In the past six months alone, mobile users in the United States have sent over 740 billion text messages. With numbers like those, we're on the way to passing 2008's record of one trillion text messages sent.

I'm all for dissecting figures like this by using practical examples, so Yahoo! Tech writer Ben Patterson's math shocked me. Here's an excerpt:
"An SMS has a maximum capacity of 160 characters, so let's say (for the sake of example) that your average text message is about 80 characters long. And let's assume that your average novel contains about 100,000 words, and each word has about five letters. So ... assuming all that (and keeping in mind that my math is a little shaky), we here in the States are writing the equivalent of about 656,000 books—all via SMS—every 24 hours. At that rate, we could match the entire catalog of the entire New York Public Library system (which holds about 20.4 million books) in a little over a month."

Other facts from the CTIA study included:

• The average cell phone bill in June 2009 was $49.57, up more than a buck from June 2008 (man, I wish my bill was that cheap).
  • The average length of a voice call was just 2.03 minutes, shorter than any other year since the CTIA started keeping records in 1988.
  • There are about 276,610,580 wireless subscribers in the U.S., up about 14 million from last year, and more than double the number in 2002.
  • The various wireless carriers that reported for the CTIA study raked in $151.2 billion in revenue from June 2009 to June 2008, doubling what they made in 2002.
There you have it. Text messaging up, voice usage declining (and these figures are just for the US). Is this something to be concerned about, or is it just the natural evolution of communication?

Via: Yahoo! Tech, AfterDawn

Read More From Source
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phillynewsnow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: ARTICLE: Offbeat News: Americans send 4.1 billion text messages daily

wow just purely wrote great!! this is very informative and its pretty amazing to think that the numbers are that high!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Thanked 1,017 Times in 393 Posts

View ronaldsdv's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ronaldsdv's Photo Album Add ronaldsdv's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

hahaha I'm one of them LOL
Old 11-13-2009, 12:42 AM
mzlady26
Mobile Model: Touch PRO
Mobile Carrier: SPRINT

View mzlady26's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View mzlady26's Photo Album Add mzlady26's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I sent over 7000 messages in one month alone, I am a big contributor, ROTFLMFAO
Old 11-13-2009, 12:46 AM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by mzlady26 View Post

I sent over 7000 messages in one month alone, I am a big contributor, ROTFLMFAO

hahah my record is just over 10,400 that was a rough month on my kb for that touch pro and died a month or so later.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 AM
mzlady26

View mzlady26's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View mzlady26's Photo Album Add mzlady26's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Wow so that make u an even bigger contributor. Geez, I have calmed down since then but I would rather text than talk.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:49 AM

“ Originally Posted by mzlady26 View Post

Wow so that make u an even bigger contributor. Geez, I have calmed down since then but I would rather text than talk.

yup im the same way especially between school and work i rarely have time to talk on the phone and text is easier and can be done during both of the above with out disturbing anyone and most importantly on my own terms so i can get busy and repspond when im free.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:52 AM
mzlady26

Re ARTICLE Offbeat News Americans send 41 billion text messages daily

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

yup im the same way especially between school and work i rarely have time to talk on the phone and text is easier and can be done during both of the above with out disturbing anyone and most importantly on my own terms so i can get busy and repspond when im free.
Yes I agree it's nice to be able to put people off without them knowing that you are putting them off, especially when you just want some quiet time. I love to text and if that was taken away from me I would not know how to communicate anymore. NO I WOULD NOT GO BACK TO A PAGER. LOL
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
americans, article, billion, daily, messages, news, offbeat, send, text