Post New ThreadReply

Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Lopan Lopan is offline   Thread Starter  
Mobile Model: Touch Diamond
Mobile Carrier: Sprint
Mobile OS: 6.1

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View Lopan's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Lopan's Photo Album Add Lopan's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Apple wireless keyboard and Sprint Touch Diamond a match made in heaven

The Apple wireless keyboard in combo with the Touch Diamond is Awesome!

This thing feels so natural, just like typing on a laptop.
It took alittle messing around to get it working though. At first it was maddening because I had to figure it out.

Here's how I did it.

1. Buy the keyboard. Costs $80
2. On WinMo: Start, settings, connections, Bluetooth
3. On KB: Power on the keyboard. Initially it will enter pairing mode where the power light flashes. If it doesn't enter pairing mode, then hold down the power button for 5 seconds then power back on again.
3. On WinMo: Tap Add device, select Apple wireless keyboard, input the Passcode You want to use (make one up 4-8 numbers), tap Next.
4. On WinMo: Wait about five seconds after the wait cursor appears on the screen.
5. On KB: type the Pass Code you chose, Press Enter.
6. Once it is paired, tap Done.

Now here are a few disclaimers. At times I have found that you will have to do this more then a couple of times for some reason, why I dont know. Although Apple currently has a firmware update for the keyboard to increase reliability that must be applied from an apple computer running OSX. Apparently just about anyone who uses an Apple wireless Keyboard with any WinMo phone has encountered this. But if you are patient you will find that its worth the initial hassle if it gives you problems.

Once your phone is paired with the keyboard, in order to shutdown the Bluetooth communication and re-establish it, all you have to do is.

1.Turn on the bluetooth antena on your phone again
2. Hit a key or two on the keyboard, the power light on the KB will illuminate for a second and you should be able to begin using your keyboard.

The keyboard seems to re-establish communication reliably AS LONG AS YOU NEVER PRESS THE POWER BUTTON EVER AGAIN... EVER.
Trust me, having to repair after your initial pairing is maddening. I hate to say it but I was re-pairing for about 10 minutes once.

The little bit of frustration in my opinion is well worth it. I am now able to use my Touch Diamond almost like a real laptop. I feel this makes my Phone computing experience complete and I have no doubts that I will no longer need the Touch Pro.

KB to Phone button mappings:
Command/Clover/Propeller = Start Button
Command + F6 = Ok
F1 = Left Soft button
F2= Right Soft button
F3 = Left Phone Button
F4 = Right Phone Button/Hangup (Easiest way to get to home screen)
F6 = Volume Up
F7 = Voluem Down
Control C/X/P = Copy/Cut/Paste

When typing in Opera switch to Transcriber SIP to disable type ahead/autocomplete and allow use of the Delete key to backspace.

Hope that was helpful to someone. It took me forever to figure it all out.

And by the way I was able to type this whole post with my phone and the Apple keyboard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lopan For This Useful Post:
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
apple, diamond, heaven, keyboard, match, sprint, touch, wireless