Notices

BiG JeWs Noob Guide (MEMBERS READ FOR YOUR SAKE)

Noob Area

Post New ThreadReply

Old 09-13-2008, 03:14 PM
BiG JeW BiG JeW is offline   Thread Starter  
ADMIN-Watch what you say!
Mobile Model: Touch PRO2, Mogul
Mobile Carrier: On the NOW Network
Mobile OS: 6.5

Thanked 6,030 Times in 1,977 Posts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

View BiG JeW's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View BiG JeW's Photo Album Add BiG JeW's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
BiG JeWs Noob Guide (MEMBERS READ FOR YOUR SAKE)

Just thought another one of these might help. It may be redundant but, its necessary for the NOOBIES! LMAO. Here its is.......

1 Q: I just joined the site, got my phone yesterday, and want to know how to get what I see on this site to my phone?
A: It's really simple. You will need a few things to prepare.
-Storage Card
-Activesync (Windows XP) OR Windows Mobile Device Center. (Vista Users) (google is your friend)
-USB Cable provided by Carrier (the cable that goes from the phone to the pc)
-Winrar or Winzip. (google is your friend)

- On this site to download anything, you must request to become a group member. You can do this by clicking the drop down link at the top of the site. It will say Information Support. Click the Join a group link. Member Software is the one you want. This particular process may take some time before you get approved, so please be patient. (8-12hrs.)

2. Q: I just downloaded a .rar file, what do I do?
A: You use winrar to extract the file inside.

3. Q: I just downloaded a .cab file, what do I do now?
A: You drag the cab file from the pc to the phone. Drop the cab file on your card. Click the .cab file from the phone to install. Then soft reset. ( please continue to read the guide. soft resetting process will be mentioned)

4. Q: I just downloaded a .zip file, what do I do now?
A: Refer to the answer that was listed for question # 2.

5. Q: I just downloaded a .exe file what do I do now?
A: You need to run this file mostly likely from you desktop pc while the phone is connected to the pc. If that doesn't work, then drag it to a spot on the phone. For example.
Windows/Start Menu/Programs* folder. (this process works for program apps, unless instructed differently in its original thread)

6. Q: I know the name of what I am looking for, but the Search function isn't helping me?
A: You must make sure you have minimized your search to the exact name.

7: Q; When I Search for something, I get a error.
A: You must make sure you have inputted more then 3 characters for any word. For example, "htc" isn't going to help you. In this case you can use " htc*" . That will increase your chance to get any results that you are looking for.

8. Q: My phone has been acting funny. It slows down and takes for ever to load apps. What do I do?
A: You can simply try one of two things. You can close all the apps you may have running in the background, (task manager). Secondly, you can also perform a soft-reset. Soft reset is usually taking your stylus out and poking the whole underneath your phone or on its side. (lol, that sounds like someone I know.) This process is like restarting a regular pc.

9: Q: Where can I download all those cool programs?
A: Our Lord PPC Smarthphone Savior D/\sH, has these wonderful threads to get you started. Its more like a noobie start kit. Here is the NooBie StarTer KiT

10. Q: How can I give back to this site for all the hard work they put into it?

A: There is a Donate link at the top Menu Bar where Search is located. You can simply click that and follow the instructions. Even if it is 1 dollar, all the help counts to keep the site going.
[B]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw5-GOG8SXo

Raybond25 from SPJ has a GREAT thread on tutorials, guidelines, and rules on posting on this forum. Please click HERE for more information.

HERE ARE SOME QUESTIONS THAT WERE ASKED HERE ON THE SITE ON SMARTPHONES. THANKS TO " mastadon " and " Mike20PR " of SPJ!

What are ROMs????
OS (operating system) basically what runs your device, think of it as the engine of a car, modded and better engine means more performance, same as roms

* why have a custom ROM?
Custom ROMS add more functuality and less bugs than stock roms which mostly come poorly made, they cut off bloatware (unecesarry apps and add ins) and can contain hacks for better battery life, faster internet and all around better functioning device

* do custom ROMs affect my service?
no, make sure that its for your device and supports your carrier (GSM or CDMA) and you should be good

* do they add more functionality to my ppc?
yes, better battery, faster internet (if added) and the cooks look for better performance period so custom roms surely will be an upgrade from stock

* are they a must for installing progs?
no, you can install just fine with stock, but have less chance on the device becoming laggy or slow with a custom rom

Supported/Unsupported ROMs?

* What's the difference?
unsopported are mainly beta, unfinished, or test roms in my belief which can contain bugs or flaws which will not be supported by the staff due to the fact that it will most likely cause problems or issues

Can any ROM be installed on ANY ppc?
no

* Why?
not all PPCs are alike, carrier, model, rom memory, ram memory so it has to be spacifically made for your device

* How do I know which one can?
it will state in the rom release which device its intended for

LISTED BELOW ARE LINK(s) THAT WILL HELP YOU UNDERSTAND AND GET FAMILIARIZED WITH SMARTPHONEJUNKIE.COM

Setting Up iPHONE Interface (as seen in youtube videos)

Learn How to Search

Learn How To Flash Custom ROMs

ALL OF SMARTPHONEJUNKIES YOUTUBE VIDEOS

If someone helps you, the least you can do is press the THANKS button located on EVERY post.

THANKS TO Scott8813 for the GREAT Tutorial below!!

Windows Mobile Faq & How To Information

"I uninstalled a program but the screen 'Programs' still shows some icons of the program".
This happens usually when the program has been uninstalled without using the option Start Menu/Setting/System/Install uninstall application or if the loading process of the program has some bugs. In this case you can use File Explorer following the path: Dispositivo\Windows\Start Menu\Programmi. Find here the icon to delete, Tap & Hold on it to show the Pop Menu, then tap on the option 'Cancel'.

"I installed a program but the same did not create the Icon and the Link in Program screen".
To create a link you must open File Explorer to find the program to link. Tap & Hold on the program's name file and select in the relative pop menù the option 'Copy'. Now you can go to the "\Windows\Start Menu\Program" folder and by a new Tap è Hold on the "Programs" screen select in the pop menu "Paste as new link". You will get so the link represented by the relative program's icon.

"I would want to add a new Theme to the Today's screen".
The Themes,(skins) are a way to customize the Today's screen and are available as file within tsk extension. Download or create the file you like, connect the PPC by Active Sync and use Explore option to see folders' device. Go to the '\Windows' folder and using Drag & Drop method load in this folder the file tsk of your skin. Then ce using PPC go to Start Menu/Setting and select the icon Today. Into the shown screen you will find a list that contains themes' names, last loaded included. Select it and tap OK button. Your new skin has been installed as default. If you like to change it again follow the above instructions and select a different file name in the mentioned list.

"The Pocket PC devices usually can handle 3 types of memory".
Which is the best way to use them The Main Memory is usually a RAM memory (Random Access memory) that the PPC uses as two separate areas (by default 50/50 percent of the available quantity even if it is possible to modify the percentage). The first part used commonly to contain the programs loaded by the user, the second part as operative memory i.e. the memory that PPC needs to run the programs. Built-in Storage, Files Storage or similar names, identify a part of the Rom (Read Only Memory). Actually the PPC uses a FlashRom that store O.S. but this kind of memory can be read and written also. If user has some part of the Rom available he may avoid to [COLOR=darkgreen ! important]lost data owing to battery's discharge and/or Hard Reset.

"There is also the Card memory (SD/CF, etc)".
That the PPC can see as an added Folder and that allow to store programs and data to have them available when the card has been inserted into the relative slot. (neither the ROM memory, nor the Card memory may represent an extension of the Main Memory used to run programs and the same are a bit slower if compared with RAM memory). With reference to the above i can say that you must use the main memory to load the programs that run from there only. You may use instead the Rom storage to install programs and data that you do not need to change frequently or that you like to preserve if your PPC lost the power. The cards (SD etc) can better used to store other kinds of data (MP3,Films,Archives etc) or programs (better if standalone) that you use casually simply inserting the relative card.

"Read here also I loaded on a memory card some films and some MP3 but the Player does not see them".
From the origin up to the WM2003 SE none application (except Files Explorer) can see the system folders but only see the 'My Documents' folder. So if you load any kind of files on a memory extension card no program will be able to find their data files. (they may be MP3, Images, video files etc) To solve the problem you need only, before to load data on the memory card, to create on it a folder named My Documents as the original one . So, doing this the PPC will see the new documents folder simply as an extension of the primary
folder and to execute them correctly using the respective programs.

"Which is the way to install a program distributed by a file CAB?".
The CAB files contain uncompressed files along with an instructions' file to execute the installation l'istallazione of the first ones. You need only to Copy them on the PPC using ActiveSync and run them by Tap on their name to get the fikes installation.You may use any folder you like as the original cab will be erased after installation. If you do not wish to cancel the files automatically you can change file's attribute as Read Only.

"Why PPC does not close the programs using button X on the screen and how can i close programs?".
When MS started the [COLOR=darkgreen ! important]Pda adventure against Palm, their O.S. was too slow to reload programs. (the Cpus did not run
at 624Mhz and where Palm used 33Mhz only, MS needed more than 100 Mhz for the same result). So the solution was to not close programs but to hibernate them into the memory. So the X button continues to not close the programs as the user assume, referring to behaviour of the desk PC. To really close an application the best is to use a task manager program (that you can easily find, free also, on the Web) or, from the memory status screen of the PPC go the active program's list screen and close them. There is also a shortcut that is to use the virtual keyboard to digit CTRL + Q (control quit) to really close the current program.[/COLOR]

"I wish to add a Font Symbol to the Word program of my PPC, how can i do?".
It is quite easy. Select the Font TT (TrueType) that you like to use and by ActiveSync copy it into the folder Windows \Fonts of your device. Now opening Word on your PPC you wil be able to select the new font using the Fonts list. My unit does not allow me to delete some fonts installed by an application i deleted. It may happen that Windows won't let you to delete a font's file, originally installed by an application no longer used that you wish to delete to recover space, for example. To solve he problem rename the font file,from"[FONT].TTF" to "FNT", for example, without adding the extension TTF. Perform a simple Reset of your unit and, after the system's restart use File Explorer (or Active Sync if you like) to delete the renamed file.

"I bought a second Li-Ion battery, how can i store it to use the same later?".
As many PDA's have a really low time of use it may be a good idea to buy a second battery if the same is removable. If the second battery is to use on a pda with fix battery, even if you think that could be difficult to get a recharge later, it is not really remunerative to buy a seon battery as the Li-Ion can be damaged even if unused. For the same reason, if you have a removable unit, it is better to not store the recharge but use both batteries alternating them during the use. To maintain the power of the one not actually in use you can recharge it about at 70 percent. On the contrary. if you wish to store battery for a long time somebody suggests to charge it as above, thence to put it into a package moist resistant and to put the same into your frigo (not Freezer) where the low temperature could delay its automatic degrade. (Honestly i have not tested this method).

"Which is the best way to exchange and maintain the battery's capacity?".
The Li-Ionbatteries nee a different handling than the old types of rechargeable batteries. The one that are usually used to power the [COLOR=darkgreen ! important]Pdas are missing, we can say. of any memory effect, and for this reason it is not necessary ( it may also cause damages) to fully discharge them. To maintain this batteries it is better effect several, even of partial recharges then to fully discharge then several times. You can also safely use your Pda connected to the power source for long time as these batteries are automatically
protected against overcharges. (obviously you must use a correct charger) There are conditions that can cause damages to the batteries that are commonly ignored. This is to expose them to an high temperature (think about a pda used a GPS unit under a direct sun's rays). This could cause to your power units more problem than to charge them for a long time or any other use.[/COLOR]

"Hidden icon in the connection screen of the HP Ipaq h2210".
Use an editor of Registry to find the Key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Network" and modify the value of the property Hide from 1 to 0 executing, after the closing of the editor, a soft reset. This will show on the screen Setting/Connections a new Icon relating to the [COLOR=darkgreen ! important]Wireless Ethernet connections.[/COLOR]

"Hidden contrast command for the Dell Axim x50v".
Using the registry editor find the Key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Control Panel\Contrast' and modify the value "Redirect" in "Redirect_" ( name it in any other way or remove it totally). Close the Editor and execute a soft reset Now going to start> setting> system>contrast you will be able to nodify contrast as yoi like. Unfortunately this change will be delete when you will soft reset your pda again so you will need to repeat the process.

"Which is the program to use to see and handle the Registry of WinCE/WM?".
The WinCe Registry Editor was born to check this O.S. file. Many of the old programs created for the previous O.S. could still be used as the Registry has not been changed during the evolution of PPC [COLOR=darkgreen ! important]operating system. To specify which of these programs may be considered the best (free or not) among all similar available programs iu is not the reason of this note. I assume that could be better suggest you to choice one of them that is enable to see the registry's keys fully and that could also offer the function Find (in addition to the usual View, Modify etc..) The function Find can be very useful if you need to check the registry to find obsolete keys, due to uninstalled programs to delete (Please don't forget that any change to the del Registry may be full of risks).[/COLOR]

"Which is the meaning of 'Tap & Hold'?".
This may appear as a silly question but it is not so if you do not know English language or if the user does not know how to use a PPC and start, as often happens, without reading the manual. Using the last versions of the O.S for PPC you can find this possibility to handle the device using the stylus and the screen. You may now not only tap the screen but also touch the same and maintain the stylus' contact with the screen. This action causes a pop menu to be shown enabling user to select the options therein. The options shown relate
to the object taped and hold (File's name, empty zone of the screen) and selecting one of this option yhe user can execute the requested action that will hide the popup menu at the same time.

"How can i do to let Active Sync recognize any PPC as Guest?".
Not always the user wish to establish a fixed relation PPC/PC and he may need to connect always, by Active Sync as Guest only. This is possible but any time the user connects his PPC Active Sync asks user's confirmation, that may be an unpleasant step to perform anytime. Adjusting the Registry thru an Editor there is a better way to solve the problem. Create under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE services a new valued word with the name Guest only and set its value to 1. Doing this any device missing of its previously established relation will be connected automatically as Guest. If later you wish again to establish a relation for a particular device you will have to modify before the value of Guest Only to the 0 value to return to the default behavior of the program.

"How fully uninstall Active Sync if i get connection problems?".
Active Sync is a good program for Pocket PC driver (when it runs fine) but if you get some problem is really a 'bad beast' difficult to correct. Many of you, now or later, will try to uninstall Active Sync in order to start again from the beginning. Moreover to uninstall this program totally is not so simple as you can think. Using standard uninstaller many keys and settings still remain in the device' system and if you install again the ActiveSync program the new version can use automatically the ols setting so that you my be unable to solve the matter. You may need in this case to manually complete the installation using regedit to cancel all Registry' s keys showing reference to 'ActiveSync' and/or to Windows CE Services (make a backup before).

Smartphonejunkie Tour (thanks D/\sH)

MEMBERS PLEASE READ: We do not allow Private Messages for SUPPORT WHAT SO EVER. This site is designed to give you the support you need by searching. If you cannot find what you are looking for, there are appropriate places throughout this forum to assist you. PRIVATE MESSAGING STAFF FOR SUPPORT OR POSTING YOUR QUESTION IN THE WRONG PLACE WILL ENTITLE YOU TO AUTOMATIC INFRACTION. IF YOU INSIST AND PERSIST ON POSTING IN THE WRONG PLACE, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO BEING BANNED AT ANY MOMENT AFTER BEING WARNED.

STAFF is more then welcome to add to this as they may feel necessary.

Thanks,

BiG JeW
STAFF and Site Admin

The Following 87 Users Say Thank You to BiG JeW For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 09-13-2008, 03:16 PM
SPJ Trend Setter ADMIN
Mobile Model: Touch Pro 2
Mobile Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 6,468 Times in 1,715 Posts

View Mike20PR's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Mike20PR's Photo Album Add Mike20PR's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: (Stick Stick StickYY) BiG JeW's Noob Guide!!

STICKIED my brotha!!! Thanx for this, i hope that the noobs actually read it

it must have been some real typing

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike20PR For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Mobile Model: TP

Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,141 Posts

View TweetyBear's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View TweetyBear's Photo Album Add TweetyBear's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

for sure man! but you misspelled "infraction" towards the end lol "infarction"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TweetyBear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2008, 03:40 PM

View BiG JeW's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View BiG JeW's Photo Album Add BiG JeW's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by TweetyBear View Post

for sure man! but you misspelled "infraction" towards the end lol "infarction"
YEA I saw that... its fixed!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BiG JeW For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2008, 03:42 PM

View TweetyBear's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View TweetyBear's Photo Album Add TweetyBear's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

nice! now we won't hve to answer stupid questions! haha yeah right...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TweetyBear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Mobile Model: TP, TP2, soon Hero
Mobile Carrier: SPJ

Thanked 42,425 Times in 15,688 Posts

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: (Stick Stick StickYY) BiG JeW's Noob Guide!

very nice jew editing my signature to refer to this noob guide.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2008, 03:48 PM
•crzy_dmnà ¢â‚¬Â¢
Mobile Model: иoиε
Mobile Carrier: spriиt or at&t

Thanked 2,115 Times in 720 Posts

View NINE'SICKS's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View NINE'SICKS's Photo Album Add NINE'SICKS's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: (Stick Stick StickYY) BiG JeW's Noob Guide!

damn bro.. u put alot of time,effort and thought into this you did everythin but post screen shots !! hmmm... alot of ppl are so excited to be here but i hope they read it..

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NINE'SICKS For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch Pro

View ORK1NM4N's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View ORK1NM4N's Photo Album Add ORK1NM4N's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: (Stick Stick StickYY) BiG JeWs Noob Guide

Thanks for the noob guide I don't know shit about messin with phones and etc...really helped out so i don't post dumb ass messages or threads lol..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ORK1NM4N For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 PM

“ Originally Posted by ORK1NM4N View Post

Thanks for the noob guide I don't know shit about messin with phones and etc...really helped out so i don't post dumb ass messages or threads lol..
I am glad it helped you , just press the Thanks button if you havent already!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BiG JeW For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2008, 03:13 AM
Mobile Model: HTC touch Pro
Mobile Carrier: Sprint PCS
Mobile OS: 6.1

View d0nkeykiller's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View d0nkeykiller's Photo Album Add d0nkeykiller's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages
Re: BiG JeWs Noob Guide

Im having trouble finding my windows folder when I hook my htc touch vouge up to the computer. It is not showing up on my computer but it does when I file explore it on my phone. I asking because I need to copy and drag files in to it but cant seem to find it. Any ideas, thanks
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to d0nkeykiller For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2008, 05:44 AM

“ Originally Posted by d0nkeykiller View Post

Im having trouble finding my windows folder when I hook my htc touch vouge up to the computer. It is not showing up on my computer but it does when I file explore it on my phone. I asking because I need to copy and drag files in to it but cant seem to find it. Any ideas, thanks
dude, you're using activesync right? if you're using that you shouold be able to explore device and go there.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:42 PM
NOOB 4 EVER
Mobile Model: Touch Pro

Thanked 1,370 Times in 335 Posts

View gadget945's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View gadget945's Photo Album Add gadget945's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Wanted to say much "MAHALO" for putting up the guide. Hubby and I both just got Moguls, and unfortunately for me, we watched this awesome video on YouTube that had a Mogul on it and referred me to this site. JK. In any case, since we don't have power, and can't go back to work until we do, we'll have plenty of time to play with the phones. It would be even greater if I could find someone around the HTown area that I could walk/run to and hand them the Moguls and say - "Make it like BigJew's, PUHLEESE!" Better that we do it this way though. Thanks/Mahalo again for all the hard work. Would love to be able to get started right now, but it'll be a bit before I can download stuff (activation time). Props! Holla!
The Following User Says Thank You to gadget945 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2008, 10:53 PM

“ Originally Posted by gadget945 View Post

Wanted to say much "MAHALO" for putting up the guide. Hubby and I both just got Moguls, and unfortunately for me, we watched this awesome video on YouTube that had a Mogul on it and referred me to this site. JK. In any case, since we don't have power, and can't go back to work until we do, we'll have plenty of time to play with the phones. It would be even greater if I could find someone around the HTown area that I could walk/run to and hand them the Moguls and say - "Make it like BigJew's, PUHLEESE!" Better that we do it this way though. Thanks/Mahalo again for all the hard work. Would love to be able to get started right now, but it'll be a bit before I can download stuff (activation time). Props! Holla!
Glad the guide helped you out. If you still run into issues modding it out and want to get it done, we offer a modding service for a fair fee. If you are interested you can PM and Ill get it done. ENJOY THE SITE AND THE PHONES!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BiG JeW For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2008, 04:01 AM
Mobile Model: htc touch
Mobile Carrier: sprint

View jrfarve's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View jrfarve's Photo Album Add jrfarve's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by TweetyBear View Post

dude, you're using activesync right? if you're using that you shouold be able to explore device and go there.
i got the same prob. im using windows mobile device center and there is no windows folder just a windows live,
Old 10-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Mobile Model: HTC Touch
Mobile Carrier: Bell

Thanked 1,491 Times in 532 Posts

View raybond25's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View raybond25's Photo Album Add raybond25's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by jrfarve View Post

i got the same prob. im using windows mobile device center and there is no windows folder just a windows live,
then copy whatever files somewhere else then move them to the windows folder through file exlorer...not that hard
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raybond25 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 AM
SPJ FREAKSTER!
Mobile Model: PRO&DIAMOND!!
Mobile Carrier: Rev a speeeeeddddddd

Thanked 1,139 Times in 584 Posts

View 1mrlcb's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View 1mrlcb's Photo Album Add 1mrlcb's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

very nice jew editing my signature to refer to this noob guide.
How do you put that on your sig?

Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Mobile Model: T.O.U.C.H P.R.O
Mobile Carrier: SPRINT SPEED

View Fatal_Error's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Fatal_Error's Photo Album Add Fatal_Error's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by jrfarve View Post

I think you need to look alittle harder start,file explorer, my device and bam there it is and use an sd card. If something don't work one way try another
I have a Touch and never had that problem
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatal_Error For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Mobile Model: HTC Diamond

View churchi4cubs's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View churchi4cubs's Photo Album Add churchi4cubs's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

Nice Noob guide. Much appreciated!
The Following User Says Thank You to churchi4cubs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2008, 11:45 PM

“ Originally Posted by churchi4cubs View Post

Nice Noob guide. Much appreciated!
glad it helped you out! ENJOY the site!

Old 10-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Mobile Model: Mogul

View Tre's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Tre's Photo Album Add Tre's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I'm new to this site. I didn't know there were rules and regulations. Thanks for giving me a clear undersanding on how things work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tre For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 PM

yup, no problem.... ENJOY the site... and make sure you read read read!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BiG JeW For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2008, 03:17 PM

View enigmatic's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View enigmatic's Photo Album Add enigmatic's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

TVM.....that's thank you very muchly for all you noobies. I'm a PDA (HTC noob) but otherwise ancient and antique even. Now if I can solve the unreal battery consumption of my Dia-Touch I will really impress myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to enigmatic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Mobile Model: htcxv6800
Mobile Carrier: verizon

View jeeperak's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View jeeperak's Photo Album Add jeeperak's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

just a note to let ya know i read it , save my ass and so hard efforts wont be waisted,

disclaimer....this although very informative wont insure that i wont **** it up anyways..lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeeperak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2008, 04:52 PM

View iamdasht19's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View iamdasht19's Photo Album Add iamdasht19's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by jeeperak View Post

just a note to let ya know i read it , save my ass and so hard efforts wont be waisted,

disclaimer....this although very informative wont insure that i wont **** it up anyways..lol
hahahahahah yeah bro you will get the hang of things... the best thing to do befire touching the phone is read read read...... we have tutorials everywehre and threads that will offer a lot of troubleshooting...... feel free to ask the questions on anything that you dont get in the correct areas :>

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Mobile Carrier: Alltel

View rojaav6's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View rojaav6's Photo Album Add rojaav6's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

^^.Newbie.^^ Can't believe i just found out bout this site. Wish I could found this site long ago. From the newbie section, how-to, and great job everyone here doing. Just so much.. not sure I can even sleep tonight. hahaHAh.. This site is awesome. rogar-Happy(LBG):
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rojaav6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2008, 09:19 PM

“ Originally Posted by rojaav6 View Post

^^.Newbie.^^ Can't believe i just found out bout this site. Wish I could found this site long ago. From the newbie section, how-to, and great job everyone here doing. Just so much.. not sure I can even sleep tonight. hahaHAh.. This site is awesome. rogar-Happy(LBG):
hahahahaha trust me there will be plenty of sleepless nights now that you are here :>
Old 10-25-2008, 11:29 PM

damn!!!!!!!! thats is soooooo true!

The Following User Says Thank You to BiG JeW For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Mobile Model: Touch Diamond

View THE I NCREDIBLE's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View THE I NCREDIBLE's Photo Album Add THE I NCREDIBLE's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post

hahahahaha trust me there will be plenty of sleepless nights now that you are here :>
Tell me about it. Everytime I stay off the site more than 3-5 days, I swear it's almost like starting over like a newbie sometimes! LOL But umm big ups to this website. Honestly, HTC needs to cut you guys a bonus check b/c I bought the HTC 6800 because of what I saw on youtube prior to buying one. Then I've influenced 3 other people to buy it with in the past couple of months do to the things I've put on my phone from here..... Wait, I should ge be getting a check. Anyway, thanks for keeping it simple for us newbies with the wealth of information - keeping me up til O-Dark-30 in the morning. Just an fyi, a fire tutorial would have a youtube video on how to search. Yanno, for all those newbies who are visual learners - that are really to lazy to read. Maybe it will help keepd down some of the redundant questions, but I'm sure someone will still say "how do I search"...Keep up the good work guys.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to THE I NCREDIBLE For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Mobile Model: T.O.U.C.H P.R.O
Mobile Carrier: SPRINT SPEED

View Fatal_Error's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Fatal_Error's Photo Album Add Fatal_Error's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by THE I NCREDIBLE View Post

Tell me about it. Everytime I stay off the site more than 3-5 days, I swear it's almost like starting over like a newbie sometimes! LOL But umm big ups to this website. Honestly, HTC needs to cut you guys a bonus check b/c I bought the HTC 6800 because of what I saw on youtube prior to buying one. Then I've influenced 3 other people to buy it with in the past couple of months do to the things I've put on my phone from here..... Wait, I should ge be getting a check. Anyway, thanks for keeping it simple for us newbies with the wealth of information - keeping me up til O-Dark-30 in the morning. Just an fyi, a fire tutorial would have a youtube video on how to search. Yanno, for all those newbies who are visual learners - that are really to lazy to read. Maybe it will help keepd down some of the redundant questions, but I'm sure someone will still say "how do I search"...Keep up the good work guys.
Thank you for the kind words I know all the staff does what they can to make the members happy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fatal_Error For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2008, 03:57 AM
Mobile Model: mogul

View dugan661's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View dugan661's Photo Album Add dugan661's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

thanks...im gonna have alot of fun with my mogul!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dugan661 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Mobile Carrier: Verizon

View moowear's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View moowear's Photo Album Add moowear's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

I started another thread but I guess I should've asked here; are the install process the same across all touch pros regardless of carrier? I just received my vzn touch pro and wanted to start 'streamlining' it with some of the awesome stuff you guys have here

--------- New Post Merged on 1/12/2008 at 0558 --------

sorry, can't figure out how to edit posts. I realized that my last one was redundant as it was answered by dash already.

anyhow going to try it on my vzn pro when it's done charging. great thread btw!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Mobile Model: Htc Touch Pro 1 & 2
Mobile Carrier: Kaos
Mobile OS: 7.0

Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,164 Posts
Uploads: 1

View kaos's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View kaos's Photo Album Add kaos's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

im sorry to here its a verizon....If your new cancel your contract and run to sprint...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kaos For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2008, 05:22 PM

“ Originally Posted by kaos View Post

im sorry to here its a verizon....If your new cancel your contract and run to sprint...
hahahahaha thats great bro :> that just gave me my life of the work day :>
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamdasht19 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Mobile Carrier: Verizon

View moowear's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View moowear's Photo Album Add moowear's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

haha wow. i'm hearing that more and more
The Following User Says Thank You to moowear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Re: BiG JeWs Noob Guide (READ FOR YOUR SAKE)

Alright NOOBIE NOOBS.... First post has been edited with NEW INFORMATION.... REDONE FOR YOUR SAKE!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:13 PM

“ Originally Posted by moowear View Post

haha wow. i'm hearing that more and more
you will keep hearing it as verizon keeps killing more phones.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Mobile Model: Touch Prizo!!!

Thanked 7,924 Times in 2,668 Posts

View Superman369's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Superman369's Photo Album Add Superman369's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

HAHAHA, I told him the same thing in his other thread. Maybe he'll actually do it and leave the red and black devil carrier.

The Following User Says Thank You to Superman369 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Mobile Model: HTC touch pro

View miket562's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View miket562's Photo Album Add miket562's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

hey guys i was wondering if i can get a little help? well i was trying to install a cab that would help with my speaker performance but i not able to open it from my phone. i followed the how to install cabs guild and was able to put the file into my phone memory card. i can see the file in my phone but when i open it i just get this message "there is no application associated with "000cab6a". run the application first, then ope this file from with in the application."
any one know whats going on?
your help is much appreciated. thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 02:47 PM

View raybond25's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View raybond25's Photo Album Add raybond25's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

if it was a cab to improve speaker quality it should be installed on the device, along with anything that directly interacts with the phone's performance
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raybond25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2008, 02:56 PM

View miket562's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View miket562's Photo Album Add miket562's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

so how would i go about doing this once i have the file saved into my card? thanks btw

“ Originally Posted by raybond25 View Post

if it was a cab to improve speaker quality it should be installed on the device, along with anything that directly interacts with the phone's performance
Old 12-11-2008, 03:15 PM

once the .cab file is on the card, just find it in file explorer, double tap it and it will ask you whether you wanna save on the card or the internal memory just choose internal
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to raybond25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2008, 03:38 PM

those are the steps i was taking but still the same message occurs. i even tried to copy from the card and paste into the program files folder and still got the same message. i dont know whats wrong

“ Originally Posted by raybond25 View Post

once the .cab file is on the card, just find it in file explorer, double tap it and it will ask you whether you wanna save on the card or the internal memory just choose internal
Old 12-11-2008, 03:44 PM

View Superman369's Profile   Edit Options Edit Profile Picture View Superman369's Photo Album Add Superman369's to Your Contacts Show Groups Edit Avatar Subscribed Threads Private Messages

“ Originally Posted by miket562 View Post

hey guys i was wondering if i can get a little help? well i was trying to install a cab that would help with my speaker performance but i not able to open it from my phone. i followed the how to install cabs guild and was able to put the file into my phone memory card. i can see the file in my phone but when i open it i just get this message "there is no application associated with "000cab6a". run the application first, then ope this file from with in the application."
any one know whats going on?
your help is much appreciated. thanks
Did you unrar it first before you put in on your phone. Usually, the cab files are in a rar format when you download them and you have to unrar them first. youll know its a true cab file when you click it on your comp, and winrar shows the contents containing .xml files and such. If its a folder, or another winrar file, then its not fully unrared and ready to go on your phone yet.

Put this on your phone exactly how it is, then click it in your phones file exlporer and install to desktop. That sould fix it for you.
Attached Files You can't view or download attachments from this post before you thank it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Superman369 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2008, 04:10 PM

thanks... so how do i install it to desktop once its in my phone. double clicking it doesnt work. i still get that same message.

“ Originally Posted by ofcsu1 View Post

Did you unrar it first before you put in on your phone. Usually, the cab files are in a rar format when you download them and you have to unrar them first. youll know its a true cab file when you click it on your comp, and winrar shows the contents containing .xml files and such. If its a folder, or another winrar file, then its not fully unrared and ready to go on your phone yet.

Put this on your phone exactly how it is, then click it in your phones file exlporer and install to desktop. That sould fix it for you.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:16 PM

thanks... so how do i install it to desktop once its in my phone. double clicking it doesnt work. i still get that same message.
You dont install it on your desktop. You dl from this site to your desktop. Then from your desktop, copy the file over to your phone. Once its on your phone, go to your phones file explorer and navigate to where you placed the file. When you find it, it should look like white piece of paper with a little yellow box next to it. Just click it and select install to device, soft reset when its done, and your golden

Old 12-11-2008, 04:25 PM

i did everything as instructed but i noticed when i see the file in my phone it looks like a little sheet of paper with a microsoft logo in it or something. it does not look like white piece of paper with a box "next to it" so do you think it could be my lap top isnt formating it right when i put in on my phone?

“ Originally Posted by ofcsu1 View Post

You dont install it on your desktop. You dl from this site to your desktop. Then from your desktop, copy the file over to your phone. Once its on your phone, go to your phones file explorer and navigate to where you placed the file. When you find it, it should look like white piece of paper with a little yellow box next to it. Just click it and select install to device, soft reset when its done, and your golden
Old 12-11-2008, 04:32 PM

i did everything as instructed but i noticed when i see the file in my phone it looks like a little sheet of paper with a microsoft logo in it or something. it does not look like white piece of paper with a box "next to it" so do you think it could be my lap top isnt formating it right when i put in on my phone?
Thats crazy. I dont know why. I just uploaded a simple cab file. Hmm.......have you ever installed a cab file before? And what carrier are you with? Do you have VZW, at&t, tellus, alltell, or sprint?

The Following User Says Thank You to Superman369 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2008, 04:44 PM

no i've never installed one before. im with sprint. if you want i can maybe take a video of what im doing and send it to you. but i think that if i can see the file in my phone then it should work rite? when i save it from my comp to my phone on my lap top I open downloads. i copy the file then i open my computer open mobile device. then double click on my windows mobile-based device. and paste it into program files.
are these the correct step?

“ Originally Posted by Superman369 View Post

Thats crazy. I dont know why. I just uploaded a simple cab file. Hmm.......have you ever installed a cab file before? And what carrier are you with? Do you have VZW, at&t, tellus, alltell, or sprint?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:58 PM

no i've never installed one before. im with sprint. if you want i can maybe take a video of what im doing and send it to you. but i think that if i can see the file in my phone then it should work rite? when i save it from my comp to my phone on my lap top I open downloads. i copy the file then i open my computer open mobile device. then double click on my windows mobile-based device. and paste it into program files.
are these the correct step?
Hmmm, try just dling it from my post, copy it as is from your computer and place on your mobile devices sd card. No folder, just the root directory. Then use the file explorer on your phone, then go to your SD card. It should be there. Try it that way. If it doesn't work, take the video or pics and let me know

Old 12-11-2008, 05:29 PM

well i think im just going to give up because i just tried it from another computer and still the same thing was happening. i guess my phone is just defective =0( maybe it has to be unlocked or something. idk but its really frustrating.

“ Originally Posted by Superman369 View Post

Hmmm, try just dling it from my post, copy it as is from your computer and place on your mobile devices sd card. No folder, just the root directory. Then use the file explorer on your phone, then go to your SD card. It should be there. Try it that way. If it doesn't work, take the video or pics and let me know
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
big, guide, jews, members, noob, read, sake