Enable usb powering

PlipO

I have a HP Ipaq HX 4700, I've lost the power charger and I do not want to buy another or a universal power adapter.
Is it possible to charge the battery via the cradle connected to my computer's usb port ?
The battery is flat and Windows Mobile by default has usb powering disabled.

When I connect to my computer; it will power up after a few hours and then every 15 to 30 minutes.
When I attempt to configure it I am unable to get as far as setting the time then the OS shuts the PPC down because the battery does not have enough power and Windows Mobile cannot take enough power from the usb port unless I can figure out a way to enable usb charging before the set up process gets to the Today screen.

D/\SH

I have a HP Ipaq HX 4700, I've lost the power charger and I do not want to buy another or a universal power adapter.
Is it possible to charge the battery via the cradle connected to my computer's usb port ?
The battery is flat and Windows Mobile by default has usb powering disabled.

When I connect to my computer; it will power up after a few hours and then every 15 to 30 minutes.
When I attempt to configure it I am unable to get as far as setting the time then the OS shuts the PPC down because the battery does not have enough power and Windows Mobile cannot take enough power from the usb port unless I can figure out a way to enable usb charging before the set up process gets to the Today screen.

ok unless you can get to the screen to enable it there will be no way that the usb will charge the pda. but there is a lil work around but you have to be extremely careful and I NOR SPJ WILL BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR BATTERY OR YOURSELF go outside and grab a booster box or hook up some cables to oyur cars battery and start the car. than on the steel of the battry (for the pda) touch the positive and negative cables to that for a real short period of time (no more than 2 seconds) and than it will feel a little warm and your battery will be charged to around 80 percent life. i had to do this on a long business trip before and didnt harm the battery one bit as long as you dont overcharge. the way a bettery work is that when it dies all the cells become negatively charged and when you charge they get excited and become positively charged giving you the juice to run your device..... as long as you dont overheat these cells you will be fine but if they get overheated you can kill them off making the battery last for shorter periods of time and than resulting in battery death quicker.

Last edited:
A

AL_CAPONE_X3

ok unless you can get to the screen to enable it there will be no way that the usb will charge the pda. but there is a lil work around but you have to be extremely careful and I NOR SPJ WILL BR RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR BATTERY OR YOURSELF go outside and grab a booster box or hook up some cables to oyur cars battery and start the car. than on the steel of the battry (for the pda) touch the positive and negative cables to that for a real short period of time (no more than 2 seconds) and than it will feel a little warm and your battery will be charged to around 80 percent life. i had to do this on a long business trip before and didnt harm the battery one bit as long as you dont overcharge. the way a bettery work is that when it dies all the cells become negatively charged and when you charge they get excited and become positively charged giving you the juice to run your device..... as long as you dont overheat these cells you will be fine but if they get overheated you can kill them off making the battery last for shorter periods of time and than resulting in battery death quicker.

wow bro not sure how you found this out but this is extremely kool to know but extrememly dangerous at same time. scary. 2 me its kool to charge your phone in 2 seconds flat is kool but its scary. this should be a last resort. and yes me and the rest of spj are not responsible for anything that can happen to you or your phone or battery or even car.

D/\SH

wow bro not sure how you found this out but this is extremely kool to know but extrememly dangerous at same time. scary. 2 me its kool to charge your phone in 2 seconds flat is kool but its scary. this should be a last resort. and yes me and the rest of spj are not responsible for anything that can happen to you or your phone or battery or even car.

lol you take the battery out of the phone and do it so the phone wont be ruined...... but i worl security and worked at a hopsital construction site 2 years before it opened so at first we didnt have electricity so we had to carry 5 cell mag lights. and D batteries aint cheap so i got the idea to charge the battery like that at work and it worked awesomely and lasted longer than a battery charger would.... than i needed to use the phone really bad on a business trip so we pulled over to the side of the highway and tried it and went from dead to 80% in 2 seconds flat lol

A

AL_CAPONE_X3

lol you take the battery out of the phone and do it so the phone wont be ruined...... but i worl security and worked at a hopsital construction site 2 years before it opened so at first we didnt have electricity so we had to carry 5 cell mag lights. and D batteries aint cheap so i got the idea to charge the battery like that at work and it worked awesomely and lasted longer than a battery charger would.... than i needed to use the phone really bad on a business trip so we pulled over to the side of the highway and tried it and went from dead to 80% in 2 seconds flat lol

well i just said that part just in case he (or any1 reading this) left it in. trying to cover all basis and protect us you know. and wow man str8 genius. i would of never though of that honestly probably would been scared to try either. but nice find man.

D/\SH

well i just said that part just in case he (or any1 reading this) left it in. trying to cover all basis and protect us you know. and wow man str8 genius. i would of never though of that honestly probably would been scared to try either. but nice find man.

lol i was worried when i first did it and all since it could have exploded or summtin but its all good im still here lol i wanna youtube the video on how to charge your phone battery on the go lol.

A

AL_CAPONE_X3

lol i was worried when i first did it and all since it could have exploded or summtin but its all good im still here lol i wanna youtube the video on how to charge your phone battery on the go lol.

ya exactly wat i would of been afraid of to get battery acid all over the place and especially me. but yes youtube it would be an great idea. thats the deffenition of an rapid CAR charger lol :yahoo:

but if you did make sure to do an disclaimer so it wont come bac on you.

PlipO

I appreciate the advice but I won't be trying that one.

Maybe you can give me some advice on a different method, I have a universal power adapter, my PDA requires that it's charged at 2amps and at a rate of 5V DC but the universal adapter when set to 5V; will charge at 2.5amps.

Is there anyway of getting this adapter to charge my PDA ?
The adapter goes to a maximum of 12V DC
There is a setting of 2amps on the adapter but it has to be set at 7.5V DC

D/\SH

I appreciate the advice but I won't be trying that one.

Maybe you can give me some advice on a different method, I have a universal power adapter, my PDA requires that it's charged at 2amps and at a rate of 5V DC but the universal adapter when set to 5V; will charge at 2.5amps.

Is there anyway of getting this adapter to charge my PDA ?
The adapter goes to a maximum of 12V DC
There is a setting of 2amps on the adapter but it has to be set at 7.5V DC

jsut plug it in for around 10-15 minutes and than go to the screen and enable usb charge and you will be fine.

D/\SH

No that does not work, I've tried several different voltages and different currents.

huh looks like you will have to use the car idea lol or go for a cheap one off of ebay or get one from the store that works..... im out of ideas if you cant get it to boot up and get to that screen.